Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2019, 07:47:32 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Guilty Secrets: Films You like That You Shouldn't
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2] 3 4
: Guilty Secrets: Films You like That You Shouldn't  ( 17352 )
Poggle
Bounty Killer

« #15 : December 22, 2005, 06:04:13 PM »

Phantom of the Opera(2004)

Christopher

« #16 : December 23, 2005, 09:12:50 AM »

All the Leone's, the Hitchcocks, the James Bonds of the '60's and '70's, all the good bad movies produced in Hollywood. 

You should like Leone, and Bond Titoli, no one will be ashamed if you do like them.
Don't forget Hitchcock. Personally, I don't really see him as a guilty pleasure.

I guess mine would be slasher movies. I own the Friday the 13th box set of the first eight movies. With slashers, if there's at least an attempt at making them suspenseful, I might enjoy it.

Two other movies I really like are Frogs and Squirm. Both movies are played straight like horror films, but there's a lot of intentional humor in them that to me, shows the filmmakers having a really good time with the material. A lot of those "when nature goes bad and tries to kill us" movies are fun. ;D

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #17 : December 23, 2005, 10:56:35 AM »

Of couse, don't diss the Hitch! I have the OOP Criterion boxset which has some great movies, I also have a lot of Hitch's Universal DVD releases and I don't want to double dip on the Masterpeice DVD set that has been released in R1. I must get round to buying the Warners set though.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
LINCOLNS GRANDFATHER
Bandido

Never seen so many men wasted so badly.

« #18 : December 26, 2005, 06:01:14 PM »

Uncommon Valour (notice the English spelling).
Same director as First Blood. Swayze and Ward up to all sorts with Hackman and Stack thrown in for good measure.
Back in Nam etc.

So many of us have had a session in there.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #19 : January 12, 2006, 09:25:32 PM »

Don't laugh but it seems that I'm one of the few to think that the Fugitive is one of the best action movies of the last 2-3 decades. Probably because over here the TV series was never aired (though it was in the '60's but can't remember much) recently and so I cannot compare it to the original (which everybody -"everybody"- pronounces to be better than the movie). I like so much (though here he hams it without restraint) Tommy Lee Jones and also Harrison Ford's (not one of my favourite actors) usual stoned presence.e 
I think that the movie was an improvement on the TV show for two reasons: you didn't have to wade through several years of episodes (and re-runs) to get to the end, and Tommy Lee Jones had it all over Barry Morse for the Gerard role. Not the greatest action film of the last couple of decades, though (and I guessed who the baddie was as soon as I saw the credits). Recently saw the sequel, U.S. Marshals: awful film.

« : January 13, 2006, 04:56:19 PM dave jenkins »

Ya measly skunk! A-campin’ on my trail and lettin’ me do the work an’ then shootin’ me in the back. IN THE BACK!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #20 : January 13, 2006, 05:11:53 AM »

Well, I can only repeat that everybody I know tells me that the tv series was better. But I can easily guess that TLJ's performance could hardly have been topped. About  guessing who the bad is, that is not where it's at, otherwise I wouldn't have watched it a second (and more) time. In an action movie  I usually don't care about who the murderer or primus movens is but, rather, how a certain plot twist was introduced and solved, both narratively as figuratively.     

Any suggestion about other action movies is welcome.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #21 : January 13, 2006, 05:37:04 AM »

Big Trouble In Little China is a very fun action flick with Ken Russel affecting a John Wayne type of persona, but the true hero of the film is Dennis Dun, also has Kim Cattrall & Suzee Pai.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim

« #22 : January 14, 2006, 12:01:42 PM »

Lincoln's grandfather mentioned it, but I actually really like Uncommon Valor.  Gene Hackman is good as is the supporting cast.  And I've always thought of this movie as a Magnificent Seven in Vietnam, as wrong as that sounds.

A group of ex-soldiers, instead of gunfighters, going in to rescue some of their fallen comrades.  Good movie which I guess is a guilty secret for me.

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

« #23 : January 14, 2006, 12:30:32 PM »

I love a lot of the old AIP movies including the Corman/Price flicks and the beach party flicks.  I like most Elvis movies, too.

More feeling.
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

« #24 : August 19, 2006, 11:53:09 PM »

Private Parts (The one Paul Bartel directed not Howard stern).

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #25 : August 19, 2006, 11:59:43 PM »

U.S. Marshals: awful film.

I remember seeing U.S Marshals when I was much younger but all I remember is one scene where Tommy Lee Jones is driving Wesley Snipes bald head into a heap of sand trying to suffocate him.

Quite a disturbing sight to me at the time. Guess I'll have to see it again to judge it further as I do remember liking it.

Dont laugh, but I have yet to see "The Fugitive". There was a time when I was a huge Harrison Ford fan (I was much younger) and always wanted to see "The Fugitive" but never got around to it. I have since lost interest in Ford (especially now when he is'nt doing anything of importance) and doubt I will be watching the Fugitive anytime soon.

The last decent film ford did was "what lies beneath".
And his last best actioner has got to be "Air Force One".

« : August 20, 2006, 12:01:20 AM The Firecracker »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #26 : August 20, 2006, 07:03:48 AM »

Private Parts (The one Paul Bartel directed not Howard stern).

I liked Paul Bartel's "Eating Raoul"  ;D

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #27 : August 20, 2006, 03:33:27 PM »

"Red Dawn".  Horribly blatant anti-Communist propaganda, but I love it in an "OMG this is so corny!" kinda way.  Also the "Tremors" films for much the same reason.

I first saw "Red Dawn" when I was about eight and it fed into my fantasies of me saving the world (or at least the US) from them evil Commie bastards.

Saturday nights with Groggy
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

« #28 : August 20, 2006, 03:40:03 PM »

for me its the original The Blob  and Day of the Triffids.
In fact I like all the late fifties early sixties movies that start with The day the Earth ect.

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

« #29 : August 20, 2006, 03:48:25 PM »

for me its the original The Blob  and Day of the Triffids.
In fact I like all the late fifties early sixties movies that start with The day the Earth ect.

Well there is no shame in liking "The Day the Earth stood still". That is considered a masterpiece.

: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines