Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2018, 12:41:45 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Gun [SPOILERS!]
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2
: Gun [SPOILERS!]  ( 5080 )
JamesK
Bandido

« : December 13, 2005, 08:19:49 AM »

Well, I finished off Gun (not difficult), and am left disappointed.  Even more so, in fact, than I was with Red Dead Revolver.  Apparently it's a lot harder to make a western-genre video game than anyone would have realized.   :(

What was most disheartening about the whole affair was everything Gun did right.  The scale of the game world is impressive, as is the ability to wander freely.  The only problem is that one can do only that: wander.  There's nothing left to do after just a handful of hours.  Without even really trying, I knocked off every single side mission, plus the main storyline, and purchased every single upgrade and/or piece of equipment in two sessions.  After that, all I could do was gallop back and forth between the two towns hoping for a bandit attack, and wondering what happened.

Sigh.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #1 : December 13, 2005, 10:52:20 AM »

I've heard mixed reviews regarding Gun some agree with you, others don't. I still would like to own the game.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
JamesK
Bandido

« #2 : December 13, 2005, 12:21:25 PM »

I've heard mixed reviews regarding Gun some agree with you, others don't. I still would like to own the game.

I don't regret playing it.  What's bothersome is that what's there is good (mostly), which makes the lackluster amount of content doubly disappointing.  My wife even asked if the release date had been rushed, since the game appeared unfinished.

My recommendation: wait until it's marked down by at least half price.

« : December 13, 2005, 12:27:34 PM JamesK »

--> Submit today! <--
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

« #3 : December 13, 2005, 12:22:44 PM »

Ok, thanks James  :)

JamesK
Bandido

« #4 : December 15, 2005, 10:10:41 AM »

For those who've played the game: don't you think that Colton's relationship with the local Apaches is a little... screwed up?  First there's the massacre on the bridge, then there's the train rescue, followed by an assault on the fort, but later on he's forced to run a gantlet of the same Indians when completing various Pony Express missions.  It sure seems like someone dropped the continuity ball there.

--> Submit today! <--
Beebs

« #5 : December 17, 2005, 09:34:32 AM »

Well, let's just hope the GBU game is awesome and not messed up.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

« #6 : December 17, 2005, 10:11:56 AM »

I hope so too, I wonder how that is going to be pulled off? Before then, I want to see how The Godfather: The Game is.

JamesK
Bandido

« #7 : December 17, 2005, 07:27:51 PM »

Well, let's just hope the GBU game is awesome and not messed up.

Huh?  Did we just take a left turn into another topic?   ???

--> Submit today! <--
JamesK
Bandido

« #8 : December 18, 2005, 08:12:46 AM »

I think they felt that since there was a certain amount of bemoaning of the western game genre in general, it was only fair to mention the next major specimen we have to look forward to.

I suspect you're right.  Though that's a good time to start a new thread.

Anyway, to get things back on track: what's your take on Gun?

--> Submit today! <--
Beebs

« #9 : December 18, 2005, 08:40:37 AM »

If the "your" is me then, i haven't played it but I have seen the trailer with the Lords Prayer throughout the trailer and it seemed too much like a horror game to me. Guys with faces that have 20 + scars and bulging eyes, and when they get shot there's a cloud of blood that squirts out like in Kill Bill.
So my take on Gun aint too kind.

JamesK
Bandido

« #10 : December 18, 2005, 08:54:44 AM »

If the "your" is me then, i haven't played it but I have seen the trailer with the Lords Prayer throughout the trailer and it seemed too much like a horror game to me.

The "your" in question was directed to the person I quoted, but I'm not particular.

I don't know which of the nine trailers available on the web site you watched, but the one that's simply titled "Gun Trailer" features only two spurts of blood and one man with scars on his face, so you might want to check that one out.

It's an advertisment, so I guess I shouldn't be too cross with it about misrepresenting the game, but I couldn't help but be amused by the bit in the voice-over about how "every vice you can imagine" is available, hinting at a level of freedom that includes drinking, whoring and gambling.  Of those three, only gambling is open to players, as I guess it's more acceptable to shoot and/or scalp people than to pay a woman for a good time, or take a drink of whiskey.

--> Submit today! <--
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

« #11 : December 28, 2005, 05:44:32 PM »

I recieved GUN as a surprise Christmas present and so far have thoroughly enjoyed it. Very gory but an enjoyable story so far.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #12 : December 29, 2005, 08:35:17 PM »

Just finished the game tonight and I feel the same way JamesK feels. I started playing the game on Christmas Eve, skipped Monday and Tuesday because I was on vacation, and finished it today!!! When I first started playing this I loved it because it was just like Red Dead Revolver but it had all the things the previous game didn't such as the ability to wander around. Then, BOOM! It's over before you can blink. I am VERY disappointed. I was hoping that it would be a long game, at least RDR has multiplayer so that game never gets boring but GUN is a finish-in-one-week kind of game which really stinks. My advice to anyone who is expecting GUN to be a long, involving game, just rent it. You'll be done with it before the time limit, trust me.

JamesK
Bandido

« #13 : December 30, 2005, 08:58:42 AM »

My advice to anyone who is expecting GUN to be a long, involving game, just rent it. You'll be done with it before the time limit, trust me.

What's worse is that the game feels like it should be meatier, just as you said.  The framework is clearly there for something more involved, but then you get this truncated, uninspiring story that carries you for a handful of hours and then dies.

--> Submit today! <--
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #14 : December 30, 2005, 10:30:49 AM »

It's a shame. The game had a lot of potential.

: [1] 2  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines