Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2022, 11:51:37 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In America (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  I didn't like this movie
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: I didn't like this movie  ( 16851 )
Spooky Mulder
Road Apple

« : December 14, 2005, 03:07:35 PM »

I bought it "blind" last year, something I almsot never do, and paid about $22 US for it. I got it home that night, put it in; then, almost 4 hours later, took it out in confounded, confused disgust.

The camera work is beautiful, I salute Leone there, but, to me, the storyline was weak and meandering; the soundtrack (especially the flute rendition of "Yesterday") was painfull; and, the topper was all of the animalistic sex. Sex, sex, sex. Sex on rooftops, sex during the robbery (dog-style with a lot of disgusting beastly grunting), then the brutal rape scene near the end. My wife was in the room with me when I watched this, and I was embarrased. I am 33 years old, not at all a prude, but this was too much. I'm sure Leone wanted to follow the book, but all of the purely psychotic screwing, to me, was shock-value garbage, energy wasted that could have been better spent in some other way.

Leone is the master, but this movie, to this day, turns my stomach. Without the sex it would have just been a long-winded boring and dated movie; with the sex it's an orgy... not my cup of tea.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #1 : December 14, 2005, 03:23:42 PM »

some people like the movie, some don't. I'm a big fan of the movie and I agree the rape scenes are very strong and not pleasent but it adds another layer to the character of Noodles. People I have spoken to have said the film improved after the second viewing, I loved the film from the start and it gets better for me each time I watch it.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Spooky Mulder
Road Apple

« #2 : December 14, 2005, 03:30:46 PM »

I agree that Leone's movies get better and better with each viewing, but, whew, this one will probably never get a second viewing from me. I wonder why the rape and sex couldn't have been implied (a la OUATITW) instead of forced down the viewer's throat--guess the times had changed and filmmakers were pushing the envelope more, I don't know--I've never read much about OUATIA so I don't know Leone's thoughts on that... but it's the only Leone I don't own.

But, of course, that's just one guy's (my) opinion, lol!

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #3 : December 14, 2005, 05:18:22 PM »

The rape and sex scenes are too animalistic but everyone likes to condemn the whole film JUST because of the sex scenes. OUATIA is such a brilliant film. When I watch it, I feel a sense of nostalgia and the passage of time. That's the way Leone wanted us to feel. He wanted us to hate Noodles after the rape scenes not proud of him! I'm a firm defender of this film which has never gotten the full reputation it deserves simply because of the graphic brutality of certain scenes. That is an unjust reason to condemn an ENTIRE film.

Spooky Mulder
Road Apple

« #4 : December 14, 2005, 08:18:27 PM »

The rape and sex scenes are too animalistic but everyone likes to condemn the whole film JUST because of the sex scenes. OUATIA is such a brilliant film. When I watch it, I feel a sense of nostalgia and the passage of time. That's the way Leone wanted us to feel. He wanted us to hate Noodles after the rape scenes not proud of him! I'm a firm defender of this film which has never gotten the full reputation it deserves simply because of the graphic brutality of certain scenes. That is an unjust reason to condemn an ENTIRE film.

Well, I wouldn't have liked the film without the sex scenes; they were just the proverbial straw, per se. To me it had an 1980's film feel, and I detested the '80's, lol. I understand what Leone was getting at with the nostalgia theme, but this film didn't get me to where I think Leone wanted the viewer to get to. It didn't MOVE me.  I got the point that we're supposed to loathe Noodles, but, honestly, I never got interested in him enough to care one way or the other by the time I saw that he's a horrible person. To me this film was like watching a surrealistic painting in motion with a few minor disturbing images stuck in here and there... there was a lot there (four hours' worth!) but, at the same time, to me, there was NOTHING there. I guess this will always be one Leone that is lost to me, personally.

Dlanor
Gunslinger

I'm a llama!

« #5 : December 15, 2005, 04:10:07 AM »

and I detested the '80's,

You mean "hated". But why?

Spooky Mulder
Road Apple

« #6 : December 15, 2005, 07:32:21 AM »

No, I meant "detested," the adjective form, as in treated it with contempt, lol. ;)

Why? Shrug. The phoniness of it mainly, but, more specifically, the movies of the 80's, the music, culture, almost everything. But I was being a bit tounge-in-cheek, I guess, when using that as an example of why I didn't like OUATIA... it's PART of a reason that emcompasses many factors; the 80's look and feel of it was just one factor.

I don't know. I guess it's one of those films folks will either love or hate. Just put a mark in the checkbox in the hate column for me.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #7 : December 16, 2005, 05:24:12 AM »

I didn't like this movie on first viewing about 15 years ago-the main problem being the slow pacing and complicated plot.Having grown up liking the Dollars trilogy i was expecting the same fare,but gangter style instead of a western.It wasn't until i'd got well into OUATITW(this took a few viewings to like) a few years later that i made a point of taping OUATIA of the telly and giving it another chance and from still disliking it on further viewings this movie grew and grew on me until now its one of my favourites.
Like music CDs the most durable films tend to be the ones that gradually take hold of you instead of the instantly disposable likeable ones which are good for one or two viewings before boredom sets in!

roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

« #8 : December 19, 2005, 03:07:07 PM »

Movies are not made to make you feel comfortable. Through the "brutal rape" scene  Leone decided to show the reaction of a man who just lost illusions unfairly. Life is not always blue like the sky. Sergio Leone cinema is constantly showing this, sometimes brutally. If you don't want to be upset, just watch Dysney stuff.

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

« #9 : December 31, 2005, 06:10:14 PM »

I think it's a brilliant flick.

More feeling.
mikimouse
Road Apple

« #10 : February 20, 2006, 11:01:56 AM »

then the brutal rape scene near the end. My wife was in the room with me when I watched this, and I was embarrased. I am 33 years old, not at all a prude, but this was too much
My wife felt the same way but no matter. What it's all about is David, knowing what he cared for most was leaving his life probably forever, taking what he isn't able to have while feeling he earned it. Remember, "somewhere out there, Deborah lives". It's what made David able to deal with his long incarceration. Odd as it sounds, I feel the rape scene was a love scene of sorts. I know I know, violence and rape is not sexy or loving in any way. Yet still that emotion was (to me) present. I think that's so because of the way Deborah receives David in her dressing room. "Actresses have good memories" aren't words or anger or revenge. "we still have our memories...turn around, walk away"...."if you go (to the party), we won't have those anymore...". Great script writing and emotional content.
This movie has it all. Love, greed, lust, anger, friendship, violence....it's what we're all made of.

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

« #11 : February 20, 2006, 06:18:07 PM »

do you like it yet?

More feeling.
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

« #12 : February 22, 2006, 05:39:12 PM »

The funny part is I have a lot of pity for Noodles. Even though the rape scene horrified me and made me dislike Noodles I still felt sorry for him. He loved Deborah so much and no matter how hard he tried, he knew she would never be his. I think everyone at one point in his or her life has had this experience.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #13 : February 22, 2006, 05:48:48 PM »

The funny part is I have a lot of pity for Noodles. Even though the rape scene horrified me and made me dislike Noodles I still felt sorry for him. He loved Deborah so much and no matter how hard he tried, he knew she would never be his. I think everyone at one point in his or her life has had this experience.

I'm going through it right now, in fact. . . then again, I AM a teenager, and if you're going to have an unrequited love, that is the time for it.  ;)

Saturday nights with Groggy
Paco Belmondo

« #14 : February 22, 2006, 09:08:52 PM »

I'm going through it right now, in fact. . . then again, I AM a teenager, and if you're going to have an unrequited love, that is the time for it.  ;)

I graduate from college this semester, and I feel the same way.   :-\

:'(

: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines