Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 03:05:53 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Man from Laramie (1955)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Man from Laramie (1955)  (Read 12088 times)
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 08:33:51 PM »

Pre-oder is up on the screen archives website.

The Mechanic '72 and The Train are also up for pre-order

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 06:17:37 AM »

Pre-oder is up on the screen archives website.

The Mechanic '72 and The Train are also up for pre-order
Thanks. I ordered The Mechanic and The Train. Laramie is not a favorite of mine, so I'll wait and see what people say about the transfer.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 05:03:28 PM »

PQ 5/5: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Man-from-Laramie-Blu-ray/70460/#Review

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 12:37:31 AM »

I ended up buying all three films but haven't got around to watching any of my copies yet.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 06:13:47 AM »

T.H., any thoughts yet?

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 11:47:44 AM »

I've been out of town, I'll get on it once I return.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 01:49:39 PM »

I'm not one to really lean on in terms of technical stuff, but I do think the bluray review was on point. There was a user review that claims the frame was compressed some, it should be 2.66 instead of 2.35 (I think) but I thought it looked gorgeous. The exterior scenery is gorgeous and this is a 4K scan. This would be a fine addition to the culture bunker, Jenkins.

With that said, the movie has its plotting issues, even though I consider it a masterpiece. There are some murky details about the evil plot concocted between Arthur Kennedy and Alex Nicol's characters: why order that many guns, why potentially arm Apaches (as they were portrayed in the movie), it just doesn't add up that much. Also, the ending isn't exactly The Naked Spur from a emotional standpoint or Man of the West in terms of pure excitement. It's a lot to ask of the audience to buy into a wagon full of rifles blowing up after being thrown off a cliff and for the Apaches to not murder or even pursue Stewart's character.

Despite taking more issue with the plotting on my third or fourth viewing, Laramie becomes greater upon additional views, as do all of the Mann Stewart westerns. Mann's visuals are the tops, this movie doesn't have any boring scenes and rarely are classic US westerns this dark. The performances are all very good, I think I'm in the minority for liking Cathy O'Donnell. Even if the role might not perfectly suit her, there's something very earnest about her that comes across on screen - which was brought out in full effect by Wyler in 'The Best Years' and Ray in They Live By Night. Speaking of actors that Nick Ray really knew how to use, Arthur Kennedy is fantastic and makes you forgive some of the plotting.

Overall, Laramie is incredibly well shot and has great momentum, despite not being perfectly plotted. While the movie deserves a better climax, everything is so well done to the point where it's only slightly disappointing.

I couldn't fit this in here but there are some amazing low angle exterior shots that I never really noticed before. Also, the vistas are breathtaking, for a lack of a better word. I can understand why anyone can feel how Titoli feels about Mann's place in western lore.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:53:46 PM by T.H. » Logged

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 05:57:56 PM »

I thought O'Donnel was incredible in They Live by Night.

RE: Mann/Stewart I am a HUGE fan of The Far Country. I did not like Winchester '73, and thought Bend of the River was decent at best. Those are the three movies that I've seen multiple times, and have a firm opinion of. The Naked Spur and The Man from Laramie I've only seen once each, and it was a while ago. I did not like TNS at all, and thought TMFL was good (probably like in the 7-7.5/10 range), but I'd like to see them another time; I'll catch them next time they play TCM.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 10:48:42 AM »

Speaking of actors that Nick Ray really knew how to use, Arthur Kennedy is fantastic and makes you forgive some of the plotting.
He's great in The Lusty Men as well.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 12:31:59 PM »

Kennedy was better in Bend of the River.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 01:50:30 PM »

DJ, I was actually referring to The Lusty Men. Was Kennedy in something else by Ray? I can't think of anything.

As for Mann westerns, it's funny how far apart we seem to be, though it seems pretty common. To me, his best are Man of the West, The Naked Spur and Laramie.

I know this board has its Far Country fans, but to me there is a plot overload - imo messy plotting is forgivable as long as the character is driven by a goal and there's some real momentum, which isn't present in that flick - which kills the movie. There's some nice scenery though. I doubt I'll ever love that one because I've seen it on the big screen on a repeated view, so if that wouldn't do it, nothing will.

I sort of group Winchester 73 and The Tin Star together, even though the former is definitely the superior film. The material is lighter, and the B&W visuals can't match up to technicolor. That's not to say B&W doesn't have its place in the Western, Mann's Devil's Doorway is a great example of when B&W in a western would be my preference, thanks to John Alton. I do have to admit that I need to give Win 73 another viewing soon.

Then there's Bend of the River, which I need to see again. I don't remember all that much about it compared to the other films. I know there was some really nice location work but the movie hasn't stuck with me.

The Last Frontier is solid but I don't consider it a forgotten classic like some do.

The Furies is very good and well shot, but I'd almost always prefer a melodrama to be shot in color. If it was shot in 3-strip it would probably be one of my favorite movies.

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 05:35:02 PM »

I liked THE TIN STAR, and IMO it is certainly better than WINCHESTER '73, which I consider to be a very overrated film. MAN OF THE WEST AND THE FAR COUNTRY are both 9/10 for me.

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 05:43:32 PM »

The Naked Spur I find overrated, its a cheapie on location work & has NO SETS.  Sad

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 07:33:59 PM »

The Naked Spur I find overrated, its a cheapie on location work & has NO SETS.  Sad

yeah, I really didn't like The Naked Spur at all. My understanding is that that one and W'73 are the two most popular films of the Mann/Stewart series. For me, they are the two worst.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 08:19:57 PM »

I've never quite understood the fascination with Naked Spur. Stewart's great and there's some nice photography, but the story clanks along and the supporting cast is extremely annoying. Even Robert Ryan isn't quite up to par. Definitely my least favorite of the Mann-Stewart Westerns.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM