Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 01:48:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Man from Laramie (1955)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Man from Laramie (1955)  (Read 12064 times)
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2005, 05:40:34 AM »

Anthony Mann's first Western in Cinemascope...... darker than most Westerns of its time...comparisons & similarities have been made to "King Lear".

The Man From Laramie (1955)
Director: Anthony Mann

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TCM: Thursday, December 15 8:00 PM

Cast: James Stewart, Arthur Kennedy, Donald Crisp, Cathy O'Donnell, Alex Nicol, Aline MacMahon, Wallace Ford, Jack Elam, John War Eagle, James Millican, Gregg Barton, Boyd Stockman, Frank de Kova

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 07:03:07 AM »

I love this film, I have it on R1 DVD with the original 3 channel sound and its a great film. I whole heartedly recomed it to all the people who haven't seen it.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 04:53:31 PM »

I LOVE The Man From Laramie. It's such a great movie and I too own that Region 1 DVD in letterbox. For any western fan, TMFL is a must-see!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 10:36:38 AM »

Didn't remember it at all but found the usual cheapie dvd. I don't like Donald Crisp and his son is a bit too old for the part. Stewart is great as usual: I like the voice and his delivery. Arthur Kennedy is a great actor, I'd say perfect. But I don't like his physical appearance: that great forehead doesn't appeal to me at all.
The movie could have been a bit shorter and without some sentimental twist that dates it. Still, for a movie with Indian and women doesn't fare bad. Not as good as Winchester 73 but a must-see anyway. And a movie which makes me keep wondering whether the real poet of the big spaces was  Ford.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 05:57:43 PM »

I just recorded this on my DVR player and plan on watching it this weekend. It's a western I have yet to see!!! I can't wait. I love Jimmy Stewart so I'm excited to see it.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 01:28:17 AM »

I seen it, finally! Wow, I can't believe I've passed this up through the years. What an over-looked western by many. Jimmy Stewart was great as usual, and it was a great directing effort yet again by Anthony Mann. I really enjoyed this film.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 11:10:06 PM »

Essential viewing but not one of Mann's better westerns.
One of the biggest problems is the "whodunit" plot.
We know the guy Jimmie wants to plug before he even knows.

8/10

P.S. why does Elam try to knife Stewart in the back?

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 06:34:13 PM »

8/10

I think this is a great western but I agree with FC that there are some serious plot holes in this one. I could never figure out whose character, Arthur Kennedy or Alex Nicol, was intended to be the villain.

The greatest feature in this flick is the amazing salt flats location.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »

I think this is a great western but I agree with FC that there are some serious plot holes in this one. I could never figure out whose character, Arthur Kennedy or Alex Nicol, was intended to be the villain.

Yeah, there shouldn't be any ambiguity in our villains, right. They should all be cold-hearted assholes.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 11:15:15 PM »

Looking up the cast list on IMDB, I see that three of the main cast members are from my neck of the woods.

James Stewart - born and raised in Indiana, PA
Arthur Kennedy - MA native, but attended school at Carneige Mellon just down the street
Aline MacMahon - native of McKeesport, PA

Cool. Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 08:52:45 AM »

And a triple-post! Frosty!

Until today I had seen several of Anthony Mann's renowned "adult Westerns" from the 1950's - Winchester '73 (1950), The Naked Spur (1953) and The Tin Star (1957). All were good movies but lacked that special something to make them great. Today I found Mann's masterpiece: The Man From Laramie (1955). The last of Mann's seven collaborations with James Stewart, Laramie is not only Mann's magnum opus, it makes a strong case for being among the best Westerns of all time. With its great cast, richly drawn characters, well-developed story, skillful direction and gorgeous Cinemascope photography, it's nothing short of a masterpiece.

Will Lockhart (James Stewart) arrives in the isolated farming village of Coronado. The town is run by Alec Waggoman (Donald Crisp), an aging cattle baron, and his two lieutenants: his simple-minded, quick-tempered son Dave (Alex Nichol), and Vic (Arthur Kennedy), the fiercely loyal ranch foreman. Will's arrival puts a spanner into the works, intensifying the rivalry between Dave and Vic as they debate how to deal with the stranger. Will would just as soon stay out of the way, but he has a score to settle - his brother, a cavalryman, was killed by Indians carrying Winchester rifles, and he's determined to seek revenge on the man (or men) who sold them the guns.

The movie undoubtedly excells in its characters. Will's character is (by necessity) fairly elliptical; he's tough but not a bad-natured, amoral vigilante like, say, The Man With No Name. Mann parcels out Will's background carefully, leading inevitably to the final reveal of his motivation - and yet his righteous anger and vengeance is tempered by his morality, allowing Fate to wreak its own vengeance on the wrong-doers. Smaller parts, like Will's love interest (Cathy O'Donnell), the tough lady rancher with a thing for Waggoman (Aline MacMahon), Will's hard-drinking side-kick (Wallace Ford), the chatty Indian priest (Frank DeKova), and the town conman (Jack Elam) are also interesting personages.

The trio of villains is undoubtedly the best feature. Once a two-fisted tough guy in his own right, the older Alec Waggoman is well-meaning but increasingly ineffectual man. A Western Lear, he loves his son and right-hand man all too well, and is unable to to see the growing. Dave is a bit of a stereotype - the weak, hot-headed son living in the shadow of his father - but Vic makes up for it with a very well-rounded character, haunted by guilt and driven by a need to please his surrogate father. Even towards the end, he never degenerates to villainy or pathetic pleading; the scene where he guiltly visits his blinded boss is nothing short of brilliant, humanizing him more believably than any other Western character I can think of. All three characters are flawed yet sympathetic to a degree, and the film doesn't make any of them evil, not even at the end when there's nothing to lose. The Wild Bunch is the only Western comparable in its depth of believable, engrossing characterization.

Mann's direction is nothing short of brilliant. As usual, he does a fantastic job of photography, capturing the gorgeous salt flats and forbidding deserts of the Southwest and making landscape a character in its own right. The film is full of striking individual set pieces, from Will's first encounter with Dave, the dusty fisticuffs with Vic, the shootout at the cattle range, and the final confrontation with the Apache. Phillip Yordan and Frank Burt's screenplay is sharply written, carefully developing story and characters while delivering a generous portion of quotable dialogue. George Duning provides a suitably dramatic score, marred only by the cornball title tune (that fortunately only crops up at the beginning and very end).

James Stewart gives a solid performance; his character here is less neurotic and obsessive than his earlier Mann protagonists, but still convincingly a two-fisted, grimly determined man of action. Arthur Kennedy (Lawrence of Arabia) gives perhaps a career-best turn. Vic is a conflicted, complex character who never turns into the expected sneering villain, and Kennedy perfectly captures the character's sense of guilt and anguish throughout the movie. Donald Crisp (Juarez) does equally well with his part, making Alec a nice guy with an undertone of nastiness showing through. Alex Nicol is perhaps a bit too broad as Dave but perhaps the script can be blamed for that. Supporting parts are ably handled by the likes of Cathy O'Donnell, Aline McMahon, Jack Elam, James Millican, Frank DeKova, and John War Eagle.

The Man From Laramie is an unquestionable Western masterpiece, and an instant personal favorite. Perhaps the other Mann films above-named are due for a rewatch? Stay tuned...

http://nothingiswrittenfilm.blogspot.com/2009/10/man-from-laramie.html

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 12:12:48 PM »

Just saw  "The Man from Laramie" on TCM. Nice film. I really like how you aren't completely sure who the villain is; many of the characters are kept ambiguous

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 12:17:07 PM »

8/10

SPOILER ALERT:

1. Elam tries to knife Stewart cuz Elam was working for the Wagomans... but then Vic kills the Elam character himself, to try to frame Stewart.

2. I disagree that "we know the guy Jimmie wants to plug before he even knows." I mean, yeah, we know that David Wagoman is a real bad guy, but you don't really realize how bad Vic is until the end....

3. I didn't really the like the music, but otherwise, it's pretty good. I'd say 7/10. Donald Crisp did a great job as Alec Wagoman.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 09:10:35 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 01:45:40 PM »

From Twilight Time: THE MAN FROM LARAMIE (1955) BLU-RAY - June 10th

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 03:09:56 PM »

Thanks for posting that. I'd pay 60-70 bucks for a solid transfer of Laramie, Man of the West and The Naked Spur. I'll gladly fork over the 35 USD.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM