Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 01:43:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Seven Men from Now aka 7 Men from Now (1956)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seven Men from Now aka 7 Men from Now (1956)  (Read 14815 times)
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 12:42:44 AM »

I saw two other Boetticher\Scott in the '80's on tv, and I seem to remember that at least one was even better than this.

You remember which ones, titoli?  I like 7 Men from Now, but I enjoyed Comanche Station more.  Decision at Sundown was another good one, caught it this summer on TCM.

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 02:52:27 AM »

Beautiful, uh? I presume here xhe was in her prime too.

I saw Night :very good movie, couldn't make it to read the novel though.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 02:54:56 AM by titoli » Logged

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 03:50:30 AM »

You remember which ones, titoli?

Probably Ride Lonesome. Decision at Sundown must have been the other. They were on italian tv in the '90's. I looked strenuously for Seven Men for about 30 years.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 07:27:51 AM »

Ride Lonesome is ok it suffers from a bit too much Karen Steele looking like a glamour puss in a bullet cone bra, Pernell Roberts & James Best are great but both Lee Van Cleef and James Coburn seem way underused or mis-cast.

My favorite Boetticher Western is "The Tall T" then I'd go:

Seven Men From Now
Ride Lonesome
Comanche Station

I didn't like "Decision At Sundown" and I haven't seen "Buchanan Rides Alone".

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 06:31:26 PM »

Ride Lonesome is ok it suffers from a bit too much Karen Steele looking like a glamour puss in a bullet cone bra...
But surely this is exactly what titoli is looking for! Wink

I love 7MFN and the only other Boetticher I've seen is Comanche Station, which is okay, but a little too TV-like. I'd certainly like to see more.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 08:45:51 PM »

But surely this is exactly what titoli is looking for!

Not only in the movies! Surely I'm not looking for a Gail Russell: too many around already.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 08:50:31 PM by titoli » Logged

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2008, 09:59:20 AM »

Did I enjoy this movie! A well written and acted western, truly. Only thing I had a problem with was that Stride (Scott) was ready to risk his life over a box gold. That did seem believeable. I mean, it wasn't his gold, he gave it back to the right owners. Sure "man's gotta do what man's gotta do", but couldn't he just let Masters (Marvin) have it? Of course, that way we wouldn't have the final gunfight...

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 04:21:15 PM »

Then you will really like "Ride Lonesome" and "The Tall T".  Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 12:23:44 PM »

Yeah I liked it too, but I just can't swallow the whole love thing with macho Stride and cutie Greer. What a disgusting overdrawn cliche, not even a good old fashioned romance. Why are those women in Westerns always portrayed as whores? Sure, you'll tell me they aren't really that, that they fall in love with the wrong fellas and just can't help it, but the facts speak otherwise: she travels around with her man and then all of a sudden some adventurous guy shows around the corner and she's ready to give him children. I can understand those kind of things happened back then even more often than nowadays, but I really see no point in showing it in every other Western that comes out, and certainly not selling it as something natural.

7.5/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2010, 12:04:34 AM »

I can understand those kind of things happened back then even more often than nowadays, but I really see no point in showing it in every other Western that comes out, and certainly not selling it as something natural.
Actually, it probably happened a lot less. In reality, feckless males tended to stay in cities; guys who took their wives and went searching for a better life were capable men who could take care of their women. And needless to say, there were no supermen to show up and tempt the ladies away.

It's just another genre convention, like gundowns. The actual West was a pretty boring place, objectively speaking. In the West of fiction and fantasy, which is an extremely hostile environment, you have to have some device for introducing women. As presented, there is just no way women would naturally go into such a dangerous setting on their own, so they need some kind of male chaperone to bring them along until they can be taken up by the hero.

Anyway, the old saw about the babe going off with the fresh young dude goes back, at least, to Helen and Paris. But even in that case the jilted husband, Menelaus, had the clout to respond with a 10-year war.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2010, 11:42:02 AM »

Perhaps, 5 men from then, she finally made it to Califo'nia. (?)

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 04:48:08 PM »

I checked this out from the Carnegie Library today, hopefully I'll get to watch it after work tonight. Afro

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 05:31:51 AM »

I checked this out from the Carnegie Library today, hopefully I'll get to watch it after work tonight. Afro
Work??? Did college boy just use the W word? What gives?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 12:23:02 PM »

I'll forego a long review for now, just let me say that I really enjoyed this one. Great story telling with an economical plot, simple but sharply drawn characters and a great Burt Kennedy script. Lots of nice action scenes and location work. Scott is good but it's really Lee Marvin's show IMO; I might like his character here even better than Liberty Valance. I loved the opening scene, and the proto-Leone duel at the end is great. 8-9/10

Saturday nights with Groggy
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 07:44:25 PM »

Just saw SEVEN MEN FROM NOW for the first time. This is the 3rd of the Boetticher/Scott films I have seen (the others are ride Lonesome and the Tall T). I rate this movie a 7.5/10

Amazing what Boetticher could do with such a small budget and so few actors. Let's not forget Burt Kennedy, the writer who was Boetticher's major collaborator.

I wanted to point out one fantastis dialogue sequence: When Marvin, Scott, and the girl and her husband are in the wagon, and Marvin starts yapping, trying to get the girl, (and Scott keeps telling him to shut up). When that bit of dialogue begins, first you think it's kind of uncomfortable and want it to end, but after a couple of minutes you are like "THIS IS INCREDIBLE!"

Watching the extras on the dvd afterward, one of the guys who was interviewed says, "Both Budd and Bert felt this was the best scene they had ever done. Burt thought it was the  best scene he ever wrote, and Budd thought it was the best scene he ever directed."

Absolutely amazing what an awesome scene could be made of 4 people just sitting in a wagon and talking (actually, almost all the talking was done by Marvin, with Scott occasionally telling him to shut up).

Also, I liked the town set used in the latter part of the film

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:12:42 AM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM