Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 04, 2024, 09:16:22 PM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Marvin and Bronson (and Clooney)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: Marvin and Bronson (and Clooney)  ( 3736 )
titoli
Bounty Killer

« : December 18, 2005, 07:39:08 PM »

I was reading yesterday on Amazon.com a review of Siegel's The Killers. In the dvd's extra there's an interviewmade in 2002 with the pard of Marvin in this movie who is careful in pointing how this movie is exclusively Marvin's movie, getting a special quality each time he's on the screen. Now that is true: it is the exact feeling I had when I watched this best of any TV movie (save for Duel) in a theatre  in the early '70's, when Marvin was already famous. But, I wonder, how come it took some more year to Marvin to become a superstar (and we're talking of a man who had already his peformance on Liberty Valance  to show off)?
 And the same goes for Bronson, of course. In a minor way one could make the same question about George Clooney: you can't deny he has screen presence.
Maybe all of this goes to prove that directors and producers seldom, if ever, go to the movies.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

« #1 : December 19, 2005, 07:26:01 AM »

Both actors starred in Deathunt from about 1980 and one of Marvins last movies.This is a very enjoyable snowbound film where Marvin(he's the good guy here amongst bad apples!) and a group of despicable rednecks go hunting after Bronson for the "crime" of rescuing one of the rednecks dogs from certain death in a dogfight-and no prizes offered about who comes of worse.
Good Stuff!!!

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #2 : December 19, 2005, 11:39:22 AM »

Agreed.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

« #3 : December 20, 2005, 07:05:53 AM »

how come it took some more year to Marvin to become a superstar (and we're talking of a man who had already his peformance on Liberty ValanceĀ  to show off)?

Saying it took several years for Marvin to become a superstar after THE KILLERS isn't true. Just one year after making it, Marvin won an Oscar for CAT BALLOU, propelling him into international stardom. Soon after, Sam Pekinpah started writing a script especially for him called THE WILD BUNCH. By the time this was finished a real production ready to shoot, Marvin had starred in two smash hits, THE PROFESSIONALS and THE DIRTY DOZEN, as well as giving his best ever performance in POINT BLANK. He could have his pick of any script. Much to Pekinpah's shock, Paramount offered Marvin an unprecedented 1,000,000 dollars to star in PAINT YOUR WAGON, and he lost his star.

This was the first of a spiral of abysmal career choices made by Marvin, which coupled with his violent, drunken and unpredictable nature, would see him utterly washed up within ten years.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #4 : December 20, 2005, 12:11:37 PM »

He won an Oscar but don't tell me that Cat Ballou's was a role meant for a superstar. Or that The Professionals and DD were top productions. Dollar-wise Marvin could command 1 million '"after" DD. Before, I'm not so sure. That Peckinpah started writing a film for him after, I presume, Sierra Charriba, only proves my argument.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #5 : December 20, 2005, 02:57:39 PM »

I've met Clooney and hes very similar to the wya he acts in films. He's a cool guy to chat too.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines