Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2017, 01:57:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  the leone,morricone formula
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: the leone,morricone formula  (Read 2445 times)
KERMIT
« on: May 07, 2003, 07:38:22 PM »

the collaboration between the two men almost didn't happen: leone at that time was already thinking about his film and looking for a suitable composer. he was considering hiring francesco lavagnino, who had created the music for his pseudo-epics, the last days of pompeii, in 1959, and the colssus of rhodes, in 1960. but pressed on by his distributor, jolly films, he approached morricone instead, even though, he had been less suitably impressed by the music of the young composer.
their first meeting yeilded more than it's share of suprises: "when he opened the door, morricone looked at me and exclaimed, "don't you remember me? we went to school together !" "at first i thought he was joking, but he proceeded to go into another room and returned w/ and old picture. sure enough: there were the two of us, seated next to each other, on that picture that dated back that dated back to our days in grammer school. i had forgoten all about it, but he was right..."
submited from liner notesthe legentary italian westerns vol. 2
meanwhile mr. eastwood is whittleing down his lines to creating the man w/ no name persona, while mr. wallach is rehashing a character"calvera" the bandit leader while working w/ john sturges. in his own words van cleef said i was lucky enough to be born with the worst sneer possible.
put this all together and as bernard herrman who gave birth to the psyco sountrack said when you combine music w/ acting + cinematography, you come up w/ a power man has yet to fully understand.
submited by kermit

shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 01:28:45 PM »

Are you saying that Leone and Morricone went to school together?

Each one for himself, and God against all.
KERMIT
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 01:55:48 PM »

you are correct sir.   Wink

but the beauty is leone, in his own words, had forgotten all about his old grade school chum who sat right next to him in class.   until morricone proved it with a old photo.  leone thought it was a joke  EM was playing.   cool coincidence.  

shorty , many thanks for your reply.  Smiley
cheers !
kermit

« Last Edit: June 02, 2003, 02:02:24 PM by KERMIT » Logged
shorty larsen
Bounty Killer

Agachate tonto

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 02:24:15 PM »

Well, I must say that I found this unbelievable. Really amazing....

Each one for himself, and God against all.
KERMIT
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 03:24:21 PM »

my sentiments precicely shorty.  

it's as if these two gentleman  are in a movie olny it's real life.   Huh    this experience seems right out of  a leone movie.  

cheers, SL

kerm

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM