Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 06:15:05 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Man of the East (1972)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man of the East (1972)  (Read 3074 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2006, 09:24:52 PM »

Hope I won't be opening a redundant thread. Anyway, I had serious trouble getting to the end of this which should easily rank as the worst comedy western made by Hill.  Too long, too flat, abundant miscasting in spite (or maybe because) of the  higher finacial resources. Only the (long-awaited) final confrontation shows signs of originality-but you have to torture the fast-forward button to death to make it there. 

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 01:37:35 AM »

i'm glad you told me that as its on my list. i was never sure about it.

That could just be cannon fire.
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 05:15:23 AM »

I have to say that i was a bit disappointed when i picked up a copy on video awhile ago and agree that it is the least funny of Terence Hills comedy sw,especially as it directed by Enzo Barboni who of course did the Trinitys.I don't think the polite Englishman persona suited Hill particularly well,he's too reserved and just seems to be holding back,and you find yourself egging him onto become Trinity/Nobody but this never really happens.However although a bit dull in places its still a pretty watchable comedy sw-a good one for kids maybe- and it does have its moments i seem to recall!

Ringo
Chicken Thief

The sixgun made 'em different...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 06:07:40 AM »

Looks like I'm at odds here, I think it might be Hill's best SW comedy. However, it is less zany and slower paced than his other movies, which I guess leads to some disappointment. But the humor and the "end of the West" melancholany is balanced extraordinarily well, much better than in My Name is Nobody. I love the lazy rhythym, the score, the character interaction, and the gorgeous photography and locations. I'll admit that Hill doesn't bring too much to the role, but he is still charming and his dubber does a good job.

Something that I don't think anyone has pointed out - this is basically an SW variation on The Quiet Man. Guy comes to dead parents' beautifully green homeland, falls in love with girl, has a rival who doesn't like the romance and wants his land, is reluctant to fight, but eventually gets into an epic brawl with the whole town watching.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 06:09:58 AM by Ringo » Logged
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 06:44:32 AM »

This one I haven't seen in ages, I just might give it a try one of these days. But then again, how good can it be if we're talking about a Terence Hill W-comedy that Banjo doesn't like? Perhaps it isn't the best idea, especially with this hellish heat...

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:47:05 AM by Dust Devil » Logged

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM