Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:25:48 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What I learned from the last few books.
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: What I learned from the last few books.  ( 8330 )
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« : January 09, 2006, 07:19:10 PM »

Ok here are some terms/concepts that all Leone admirers and Western Genre lovers should learn. They are all referring to basically the same thing a "magical essence" and they are essential to Westerns probably more than any other genre, and anyone contemplating making a Western film needs to understand these terms.

cinematic memory - the genres essence, Westerns need to link someway into this cinematic memory, it means not only the familiar Western landscapes (whether Monument Valley of John Ford, the plains of Anthony Mann, Lone Pine California of Bud Boetticher, the Mexican landscape around Durango, or the rambalas of Almeria), but also all the films that came before, all the similar senarios and stories, all the leading & character actors, all the camera shots & angles, etc., etc.

cinematic deja vue that feeling similar to the above. Basically when you watch a good western you'll get that deja vue that you have been there before and are in familiar territory. It's a result of John Ford's repeated use of Monument Valley, of John Wayne, of his troupe of supporting actors, Hank Worden, Woody Strode to name just two,  and all the extras. It made Almeria magical in a similar way and the use Volonte, Kinsky, Stefanelli, Sambrel, Brega, Pistilli  etc., etc., of all the supporting actors in all the various SW's had a way of bringing this familiar deja vue to all SW's.

cinema, cinema -  Leones term for cinema about cinema and his use of both the ingredients above to achieve his "Fairy Tales for adults" and his gift of giving America back its Western Myths.

So it seems just a "simple matter" of taking care to amalgamate the ingedients from above inspired with the mastery of Leone & Corbucci, Ford, Man, Boetticher and Hathaway into your westerns and are lucky to find a Morricone to score your film,  8).

Idealy if you could shoot in Monument Valley, Almeria & Mexico.......lol.

« : January 10, 2006, 04:34:43 AM cigar joe »

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

« #1 : January 10, 2006, 08:21:50 AM »

I've heard of most of them but I'll keep them in mind, thanks Joe  ;D

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #2 : January 14, 2006, 10:52:37 PM »

Watching FAFDM again today, got me thinking about this again, I think its a something that we have to hammer home, its imperative to a modern SW or Euro Western to at least partially use Almeria in its cinematography you'll essentially need identical shots to anchor that cinematic memory into a film since you don't have anything else since most of the old actors are gone.  A lot of the familiar landscapes and rambalas and town sets would revive that magic.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
John Baldwin
Gunslinger

Do you recognize this string ???

« #3 : January 15, 2006, 10:36:10 PM »

If I have to do a western, now, with the money I have, I'll shoot it in French:

As you can see, lands are... not so bad; we call that the "French Colorado". Try with "rustrel" in Google...;)

« : January 16, 2006, 05:11:26 PM john baldwin »

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #4 : January 16, 2006, 05:21:52 AM »

Yea that does look very good John Baldwin, I'll try rustrel,.............. just got back from the rustrel sites looks very good, it could work in a film for close shots, those red rock formations do look a bit like Arizona.

« : January 16, 2006, 05:29:08 AM cigar joe »

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

« #5 : January 16, 2006, 05:55:49 AM »

Looks smart, I could almost imagine hearing the beats of horses running around...

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

« #6 : January 16, 2006, 05:13:30 PM »

;D
I'm writing, with a friend of mine, an old poster on this board, Lewis Hawk for those who remember, a script western. When it be finish, I'll direct it, in French. I'm sur it's possible, if you do your better.

Le monde se divise en deux catégories: ceux qui ont un revolver chargé, et ceux qui creusent; toi tu creuses...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #7 : January 16, 2006, 08:58:48 PM »

Another good possibility would be a snow Western a la "The Great Silence" the Alps or Pyrenees would be great locations n'est pas?

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

« #8 : January 17, 2006, 05:14:07 AM »

Snow would be excellent! The location looks a lot like Lone Pine in America also so I'll think it'll make a great location, good luck John!

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

« #9 : January 17, 2006, 06:03:40 AM »

Yeah, snow is a good landscape, but my first western should be in a desert land, because it's more... Leone  ;D
My story is between a leone movie, for the time, and Unforgiven, for pityless and violence. A Spaghetti/Hamburger Western  :P

« : January 17, 2006, 06:08:43 AM john baldwin »

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #10 : January 17, 2006, 06:21:47 AM »

cool, keep us posted on your progress.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #11 : January 17, 2006, 05:55:50 PM »

Another cool point about a Snow Western is that you could almost film it anywhere there is snow, and it could easily pass for the American West  8) and you would be referencing "The Great Silence", "McCabe & Mrs. Miller, "Breakheart Pass" etc., etc.

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

« #12 : January 18, 2006, 06:08:53 PM »

Well, our script is fat to be finish; were're working on for 18 months, but it makes a long time we dont write it, because we have other projects (I've shooted a modern western, and i'm going to put in on my FTP, and maybe make a English translation ;D).

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #13 : January 18, 2006, 08:36:20 PM »

well if you need any help with English dialogue  ;D

John Baldwin
Gunslinger

« #14 : January 19, 2006, 07:07:52 AM »

Yes Cigar Joe, I know you speak French  :) Well, May be I'm going to bring you a PM with the French dialogue  ;)

Ho, the title of this movie is........ (suspens):

Once upon a time in Bobigny   (Bobigny is a French city).

« : January 19, 2006, 07:11:44 AM john baldwin »

: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines