Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 04:55:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Unforgiven (1992)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unforgiven (1992)  (Read 58599 times)
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 08:07:46 PM »

If Sergio Leone was alive long enough to have seen Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven, in your opinion, what would be Leone's first reactions to this masterpiece?

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 08:34:02 PM »

I'm not sure... he might not like its lack of "style" but I think he would like its rejection of all western cliches and all glorification, romanticism, or trivialization of violence in western films. After all, Leone's career is one built on rejection: The Dollars Trilogy rejects western romantacism, OUATITW rejects the dollars trilogy (which would be even more evident if he had Eli, Clint and Cleef play Strode, Muloch, and Elam's part) and Duck You Sucker is a rejection of Zapata Westerns, and also some of Leone's past trademarks (the "duel" on a circular platform as noted in Frayling's commentary).

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 09:00:57 PM »

Yeah, I see what you're saying about the "style" aspect of the film. Clint Eastwood's directing style is much more laid back and reserved than Sergio Leone's style. I think he defiently would of loved the violent ending. It's defiently not your typical happy go lucky John Wayne ending that most American Westerns portray.

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 06:51:54 AM »

He'd like Unforgiven way more than Outlaw Josey Wales,High Plains Drifter and Pale Rider that's for sure.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 10:50:56 AM »

He'd like Unforgiven way more than Outlaw Josey Wales,High Plains Drifter and Pale Rider that's for sure.

Yeah, I agree Tuco, although Outlaw Josie Wales is a great movie, in my opinion.

T.H.
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 12:45:34 PM »

I love HPD and Josey Wales.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre. What did you think of the script?
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2007, 02:11:43 PM »

Yeah, High Plains Drifter is a Leone type western, that's for sure.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2007, 05:10:47 PM »

If Sergio Leone was alive long enough to have seen Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven, in your opinion, what would be Leone's first reactions to this masterpiece?
He would, rightly, be turned off by the annoying score. However, he'd be pleased by the dedication to "Don and Sergio" which he would misunderstand as "Don Sergio." Grin

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 07:19:12 PM »

He would, rightly, be turned off by the annoying score. However, he'd be pleased by the dedication to "Don and Sergio" which he would misunderstand as "Don Sergio." Grin

Oh come on dave jenkins, the score to Unforgiven is beautiful and haunting. It's one of the best things about the movie. How can you knock it!?!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 05:32:27 AM »

Given that Leone didn't like Eastwood's films (particularly HPD), he probably wouldn't have been enamoured of this one.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 09:40:41 AM »

Given that Leone didn't like Eastwood's films (particularly HPD), he probably wouldn't have been enamoured of this one.

Where did you get the info about Leone not liking Eastwood's films? I'm just curious because I have never read this.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 11:56:06 PM »

Unforgiven is arguably one of the greatest westers ever. It's one of my favorite movies ever, and I think it's getting better with age. I think it has a fantastic script, the direction is brilliant by Clint, and I love the acting. Some of you mentioned that you didn't like the casting for certain parts. I would have to disagree. I thought the casting was perfect. Also, I think the music is not only beautiful, but extremely haunting. I love how "Claudia's Theme" kicks in at the end of the movie as the credits role. It's powerful to me. And, how can we not forget the last 20 minutes or so, this ending is bloody brilliant, from the conversation with the Schofield Kid and Willium Munny all the way through the ending. It's one of the best endings you will ever see in my opinion. Unforgiven is a masterpiece.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2007, 06:34:33 AM »

Sorry, for me its not something I'll pop into the DVD player on a regular basis, Eastwood ia a good director but he's not brilliant, not on a level with Leone which I can watch over & over again, the last 20 minutes are good granted, but there is still something lacking for me anyway, I know it when I see it and I don't see it.

Do this little test, imagine replacing Eastwood's character with another actor, and see how it holds up. With Eastwood half the production is carried by the cachet of the MWNN personna built up over his career, we know no matter how much pig sheet he lays in that at some point the MWNN will appear.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 06:39:13 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2007, 09:11:11 AM »

Well considered, CJ.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007, 10:07:21 AM »

cigar joe, imagine the man with no name series without Eastwood? I think he ment a lot to those movies even more so than Leone's direction. It works both ways in my opinion, and in my opinion Eastwood is a fine director, above average at that. I know we all look at things differently and I respect your opinion, but I just feel Eastwood is great. I love the slow build up to this movie. We see a man who is way past his prime, in the twilight of his life. We don't need to see a shoot em up first hour. It wouldn't fit the movie at all. I love how they introduce all the characters respectively. And by the way, Tombstone has nothing on Unforgiven. I like Tombstone but it's one of the most overrated westerns ever. It plays out like a movie made for T.V.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM