Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:25:30 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Unforgiven (1992)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unforgiven (1992)  (Read 58738 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2007, 10:18:58 AM »

cigar joe, imagine the man with no name series without Eastwood? I think he ment a lot to those movies even more so than Leone's direction.
You're getting dangerously close to heresy, brother.

Okay, I'll follow your line and take Clint out of the Dollars films in my mind. I find that by substituting Bronson back in, the pictures work quite well. They're different, but still amazing works of art. Same if I fill the lead roles with any number of other candidates. Because Sergio chose well with Clint, do you really think he would have cast badly if he'd chosen someone else? Look at all the other films SL directed without Clint. If there was one thing Sergio knew how to do, it was casting.

But an Eastwood film without Eastwood? An entirely pedestrian affair.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2007, 10:34:36 AM »

You're getting dangerously close to heresy, brother.

Okay, I'll follow your line and take Clint out of the Dollars films in my mind. I find that by substituting Bronson back in, the pictures work quite well. They're different, but still amazing works of art. Same if I fill the lead roles with any number of other candidates. Because Sergio chose well with Clint, do you really think he would have cast badly if he'd chosen someone else? Look at all the other films SL directed without Clint. If there was one thing Sergio knew how to do, it was casting.

But an Eastwood film without Eastwood? An entirely pedestrian affair.

Relax, Sergio Leone is my favorite director so I'm not bashing Leone at all brother man. lol. I was just saying, I think Sergio casted Eastwood perfectly. Sergio's films are a work of art, but you can say the same for Clint's direction, but in a different way. They had two totally different styles. Unforgiven is a masterpiece to me, and that is that.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2007, 12:38:24 PM »

but there is still something lacking for me anyway, I know it when I see it and I don't see it.

yeap. Unforgiven is one of those movies i really want to love, but when i'm watching it, i'm just not getting much out of it. when i'm not watching it, i can analyze and build it up in my mind, but as soon as i pop it in, its just not that good...

Look at all the other films SL directed without Clint. If there was one thing Sergio knew how to do, it was casting.

yeap again. OUATITW didn't have clint, and its by far my favorite leone. i think it would have been a lesser film with clint, in fact.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2007, 07:01:42 PM »

Leone would say: "You haven't improved much, have you Clint".

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 05:35:13 AM »

Where did you get the info about Leone not liking Eastwood's films? I'm just curious because I have never read this.

I remember reading it in Frayling's "Spaghetti Westerns", probably a few other places.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2007, 07:03:48 AM »

I thought Eastwood said he reckoned his approach to filmmaking did differ alot to Leones especially in time, pacing and plot and he wasn't overtly fond of Leone's style but I can't remember reading Sergio saying that about Eastwood's films. I'll flip through Frayling's book to see if I can dig out the correct quote.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2007, 02:34:26 PM »

Well I remember hearing Eastwood in an interview, I think it was on TGTBATU special edition, that he didn't like how Leone would sit on a shot for a long period of time without switching to another shot. The scene at the end of TGTBATU where the Trio are spreading out and the camera is just looking out at them. Eastwood said he didn't like this shot.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2007, 06:42:34 PM »

Well I remember hearing Eastwood in an interview, I think it was on TGTBATU special edition, that he didn't like how Leone would sit on a shot for a long period of time without switching to another shot. The scene at the end of TGTBATU where the Trio are spreading out and the camera is just looking out at them. Eastwood said he didn't like this shot.
that one of the best bits in GBU. the composition is excellent.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2007, 06:49:55 PM »

most of eastwoods output is inferior to leone's.
unforgiven is one case. i have no trouble  visualizing equipment, staff, et all just behind the camera view at all times.
the little bits that are right don't justify this movies prominance.
just shows what money can do to mediocraty.

Sucker
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2007, 07:24:35 PM »

I love the westerns Leone loved and I love Leone's westerns.
I think Leone would have, like me, gone to see UNFORGIVEN hoping for something really good.
Like me he wouldn't have liked it at all  Grin
It did absolutely nothing for me even though I'm a great fan of Clint as a director - but not this time. A most disappointing western.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2007, 10:10:28 PM »

Although I don't agree with what Clint said about some of Leone's style, I do believe that Unforgiven is a great western. I don't understand how some of you being big fans of the western genre, could not love Unforgiven. It completely shocks me. The movie is outstanding, and has one of the best conclusions ever.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2007, 10:21:05 PM »

one of the best conclusions ever.

I do like the last 20 minutes don't get me wrong. Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2007, 11:22:54 PM »

I do like the last 20 minutes don't get me wrong. Afro

You have some great taste cigar joe, I'm not doubting that, and you know I respect your opinion a long with everyone on this board. I'm just saying, I'm surprised what some of you are saying about Unforgiven as a whole. Hey, it's just a matter of opinion I guess. haha I know I love it!! You all know that. Back in 1992 when the movie was released, I was only 11 years old at the time, and the movie blew me away back then! It still does to this day. I just love it.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2007, 01:14:26 PM »

You have some great taste cigar joe, I'm not doubting that, and you know I respect your opinion a long with everyone on this board. I'm just saying, I'm surprised what some of you are saying about Unforgiven as a whole. Hey, it's just a matter of opinion I guess. haha I know I love it!! You all know that. Back in 1992 when the movie was released, I was only 11 years old at the time, and the movie blew me away back then! It still does to this day. I just love it.

i was about the same age when i saw it in the theatre, and i didn't like it then at all. i recently picked it up again, thinking- hey, maybe i was just too young to get it... nope. still didn't like it. to me, its really a pretty great idea for a movie, just executed poorly.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2007, 03:38:48 PM »

Although I don't agree with what Clint said about some of Leone's style, I do believe that Unforgiven is a great western. I don't understand how some of you being big fans of the western genre, could not love Unforgiven. It completely shocks me. The movie is outstanding, and has one of the best conclusions ever.

I think it's a great movie, but it tries too hard to be thoughtful and deep.  I loved it the first two times I watched it, but it isn't a movie I can watch again and again.  The acting is great and I love the cinematography, but it's just lacking that special something. . .

Saturday nights with Groggy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM