Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:51:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Unforgiven (1992)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unforgiven (1992)  (Read 58710 times)
Ben Tyreen
Bounty Killer

Well, Major, I shall see you in Texas!

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 03, 2008, 07:25:08 PM »

Hoping you saw it on TCM and/or letterboxed.  I saw it at theater in L.A. when it came out.

Yes, indeed, taped if off of TCM last night and watched it this afternoon.  There were some really beautiful shots, the opening and closing segments with the setting sun, and my favorite, the shot of Will Munny, Ned Logan, and the Schofield Kid riding through what looks like a wheat field.  Could have been something out of a painting. Smiley

Nobody throws me my own guns and says run...nobody.
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 06, 2008, 04:58:21 PM »

Yes, indeed, taped if off of TCM last night and watched it this afternoon.  There were some really beautiful shots, the opening and closing segments with the setting sun, and my favorite, the shot of Will Munny, Ned Logan, and the Schofield Kid riding through what looks like a wheat field.  Could have been something out of a painting. Smiley

The damn film is a gritty masterpiece. It's funny how some put it down here. I laugh at them. It's a beautiful firlm in all regards. Clint Eastwood succeeded on all levels here. It just never gets old, period.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:15:50 PM by TucumcariBound » Logged

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 22, 2008, 02:44:45 PM »

Check out this "Unforgiven" video with Metallica's Apocalyptica music playing. Very powerful stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwgohVvstnI

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 12, 2008, 02:40:26 PM »

Wow!!!! http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=90&position=3

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 12, 2008, 10:06:52 AM »

Check out this "Unforgiven" video with Metallica's Apocalyptica music playing. Very powerful stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwgohVvstnI

that was really good. I need to watch this movie again soon

Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #230 on: June 16, 2009, 05:19:43 PM »

The first time I saw this (mid to late 90s) I was very disappointed and felt that Unforgiven was slow moving and boring, especially compared to the Dollars trilogy.  Mind you I was a teenager and was too immature to understand what Eastwood was getting at.  Ten or twelve years later, I finally watched it for a second time last night.  I enjoyed it alot more this time and feel that it is Eastwood's best directed Western (better than Outlaw Josey Wales and way better than Pale Rider and High Plains Drifter).  So I liked it but didn't love it.

The movie takes too long (fine with a Leone epic but drags here) and some characters (Morgan Freeman, the Kid) don't add much to the movie.  Hackman was a good villain and I liked the transformation of Eastwood from pitiful old man back to bad ass killer (his Will Munny is not a hero or even an antihero but a force of nature).  I also liked the way that people who talk alot about death and killing are cowards while the real killers (Eastwood and Hackman) are trying to leave killing behind them even though its the only thing they can do well.  But if Eastwood's main reason for making Unforgiven was to call into question the kinds of movies he made as a young man, then he failed.  Everyone (myself included) was waiting for the point where Eastwood rode back into town and killed the baddies.  Sorry Clint but thats why we watch your movies in the first place.  7.5/10

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 16, 2009, 07:09:22 PM »

But if Eastwood's main reason for making Unforgiven was to call into question the kinds of movies he made as a young man, then he failed.  Everyone (myself included) was waiting for the point where Eastwood rode back into town and killed the baddies.  Sorry Clint but thats why we watch your movies in the first place.  7.5/10

This is exactly what I always say.  If any other actor had played the Munny part the film wouldn't have worked because we all new that sooner or later Eastwood would revert into the MWNN mode, lol. Afro

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Colonel GŁnther Ruiz
« Reply #232 on: June 16, 2009, 08:39:08 PM »

This is exactly what I always say.  If any other actor had played the Munny part the film wouldn't have worked because we all new that sooner or later Eastwood would revert into the MWNN mode, lol. Afro

Or what if Munny had rode back into town and Little Bill either beat the shit out of him again or just shot him?  Eastwood isn't stupid, he knows that we're waiting for him to kill Little Bill and his cronies.   Grin

drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 04, 2011, 07:18:46 AM »

I think this film is very overrated

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2012, 10:08:52 PM »

this film was playing on AMC last nite. caught most of it, and my opinion is pretty much the same as my first viewing: very overrated movie.

some of the scenes work really well, particularly those in Big Whiskey. But some of the more quiet/mellow scenes with Munny and Ned don't work very well IMO -- the ones where he is reminiscing/regretting/seeking forgiveness, etc. I like when these themes are much more subtle, and you "get" what they are trying to say, rather than having it put in your face over and over and over again. How many times did Munny and/or Ned say the phrase "don't do that no more"? How many times did Munny talk about being haunted by someone he killed in his past? This could have been done much more subtly and we'd get the point, rather than being told the same thing over and over. It's a shame cuz there are indeed some scenes that work very well in the movie -- the ones involving Hackman, the writer, and basically everything in Big Whiskey. But the many scenes out in the fields, trying to drive home the same point repeatedly,  are what killed this movie for me.

Hackman was awesome; the rest of the cast was pretty good as well, but the kid who played Schofield Kid was horribly annoying

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:26:52 PM by drinkanddestroy » Logged

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Senza
Bounty Killer

You think you're better that I am?

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 10, 2013, 06:58:35 AM »

I think the movie is slightly overrated, except for the ending. I'd probably give it 3/5 stars.

"Roll it up! Roll it up! I'll give you a good idea where you can put it!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
uncknown
Gunslinger

What about me?

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 08, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »

Uncknown: "Hey Tuco, what do you think of the posters here who don't think UNFORGIVEN is a classic film?

Tuco : "they're all a bunch of id..id..idi...

Uncknown : "Idiots"?

Tuco :"Yeah" IDIOTS!"

"Other Morton's will come along  and they'll kill it off"

My article on the restoration of the The Big Gundown
http://thekinskifiles.blogspot.com/2009/01/cinemaretro-13-big-gundown.html
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 08, 2013, 10:56:41 PM »

Not a very good movie, and not even close to Eastwood's masterpiece. That distinction goes to The Bridges of Madison County and Mystic River

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2014, 07:43:32 AM »

Yurusarezaru mono, the samurai remake of Unforgiven: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=13249

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2014, 07:56:41 PM »

Over the years I thought about some of the different levels of evil portrayed in the movie.  The cowboy's cutting of the whore.  The partiality of Little Bill toward the ranchers.  Killing for money .  English Bob's overt racism.  Little Bill's beating of English Bob.  The torture of Ned.  The dime store writer's glorification of shootouts.  Then of course, at the end, we see pure evil come out of hell in the personification of William Muny.  Maybe its not the best western, and maybe it was slow moving, but it packed it all in by showing the sobering effect killing can have and not just blood spurting spinning bodies with no consequences.  Then again, thats just me.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM