Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 09:17:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Unforgiven (1992)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unforgiven (1992)  (Read 58592 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2006, 05:14:06 AM »

I picked up a DVD of Unforgiven and watched it again for the first time in a few years. Its not holding up as good as Leone's films for me. It definetly plays more like the AW that it is, rather than an SW.

Its realistic but certainly not mythic. the performances are great, no doubt about it, and the last 20 minutes are great with the  payoff at the end being superb, but the getting there seems to drag, SW's seem faster paced.

Can it be that emphasis on realistic story is trumping style?

We need a western that will grab you by the seat of the pants

Watched the Johnson County War (Tom Berenger-Burt Reynolds) the other day on TV and the main impression I got was that there was way, way too much dialogue, and not enough action.

We need more style & those sparce mythic lines that speak volumes.

Come to think of it action flicks have upsurped the SW formula using explosions instead of gunfights & without the style, but with  cheesy one liners, lol .

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 05:57:33 AM »

I agree, the film isn't as great as when I first saw it. In fact I admit (guiltily) that I enjoy Cosmatos' Tombstone much more now. A new spaghetti must be re-born  Grin

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 07:18:52 AM »

Its still a personal favourite of mine, after a number of viewings.  I think that the BIG ending is about my favaourite confrontation, aside from GBU.  I also love the way that English Bob comes in to a big fanfare but shortly later disappears with his tail between his legs.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 08:08:34 AM »

Its a very good aw but i much prefer Clint in his  "man with no name"type roles whether it is in Leones or his own directed westerns.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 11:27:15 AM »

I am glad to see that so many among you have changed your opinion about this movie which, paradoxically, worked for me better the second time than the first. What I don't like in this film is basically the direction. There's a good screenplay, but the images are very, very drab ones. I think that Pale Rider was figuratively  much better. And, sure, a little more fast-pacedness in the first part would have been welcome. Still I like the concept of no good ones no bad ones, the duets of Harris and Hackman and, as said already, the magnificent last 20 minutes.

Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 02:00:50 PM »

I have been meaning to watch this again for a while now. Haven't seen it for a few years so it will be interesting to see if my opinion has changed like it has with some of you!

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 08:50:11 PM »

For me, the film is a mixed bag. I don't like a lot of the casting, I don't like the PC elements, and I hate, hate, hate the music.

On the other hand, I very much like the way the film is structured, with the long English Bob digression in the middle. Not many Hollywood films these days feel able to dispense with that old Aristotlean bug-a-boo, unity of action. It takes a director confident in his storytelling to do this, or one who is at least confident in the storytelling of his models. Eastwood should get great credit for following the lessons of his betters, Don and Sergio.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 09:32:01 PM »

Yea the music is not anything that memorable, at least its not a "sung" tune, or some modern sounding score, its all low key and somewhat laid back like the whole film.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Kurugen
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 07:23:01 PM »

Yea the music is not anything that memorable, at least its not a "sung" tune, or some modern sounding score, its all low key and somewhat laid back like the whole film.

the music remided me of The Deer Hunters score.

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 07:42:55 PM »

I like the movie theme music also.  Yes, it does remind me of the Deer Hunter.  Good point.
For me, Unforgiven, shows many different levels of bad or evil.
The prostitutes are one level
The bad cowboys cut the girl up another level
Little Bill practically looks the other way with minimal reprecussions.
Then you have the bounty killer mentality of those on the hunt.
The stupid press that just wants profit.
The genocidal English Bob.
Little Bill shows his true form by mangling English Bob.
The killing of the 2 cowboys coldbloodedly.
Then finally, 'pure evil' rides back into town and we get to see bad taken to the extreme as we learn what the true histoy and character of Munny are.

Its like the movie is telling you, you want bad, here is someone from out of hell.  Yet at the same time, we are learning that the hellish creation has a family and has actually tried to redeem himself. 

So for me, its got a lot of levels to dwell on.

Kurugen
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 07:48:05 PM »

To me the movie kinda dragged.The part where i felt evil come into the movie was when clint took that first drink of whiskey when learning that Ned had died.Other than that the movie just dragged and dragged for me.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 06:37:01 AM »

"Unforgiven" is a great film but I've never really been able to enjoy it terribly.  I like a lot of things about it but it's difficult for me to watch more than once a year or so.

Saturday nights with Groggy
franksgrandson
Gunslinger

just the man

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 10:18:26 AM »

this is a good point to raise Unforgiven thrilled me when it came out but over the years I see it more as a Hackman film, the more you see it the more he dominates the whole thing.
Clint only really comes alive at the end when he gets drunk, the one scene on the hill when he talks to the kid it one of the best scenes he ever did post leone.
Up to that point in the movie William Munny just moans about not being like that anymore.
SO IN THIS MOVIE THE BOOZE IS WHAT MAKES CLINT A BADASS NOT CLINT.
where's Little Bill wants to be normal but can't as he really is a badass.
Just goes to show Leone is the greatest Western maker of all time

MORTON ONCE TOLD ME I COULD NEVER BE LIKE HIM, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 03:25:09 PM »

I remember doing this on my film course at College. Everyone was waxing lyrical about it as if it was the best westerne ever. I just listed 10 more westerns out of quite a few that I felt were 1000 times better. Showing clips if OUATITW and watching Stagecoach made people agree. Not that I don't like Clint, not at all, I just think this is a bit overhyped.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Beebs
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 04:34:37 PM »

Unforgiven is still one of my favorites. Its so... powerful, I guess. It really grabs me everytime I watch it. But then again, I haven't seen too many others that do the same. Tombstone for instance.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM