Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 01:56:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dubbing Good & Bad is it "Something to do with Deafness"?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dubbing Good & Bad is it "Something to do with Deafness"?  (Read 13623 times)
badabingus
Road Apple

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2003, 03:46:07 PM »

Please understand this is not a critism of Leone in any way but as a new (and i mean new) fan i wondered why the dubbbing is so bad in the dollars trilogy. Is it because Italian had to be dubbed into English? But then again, Eastwood has bad dubbing and he couldn't speak any Italian. Sorry if this has been posted before as I am new to this site.

KERMIT
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 12:13:02 PM »

there's a sketch featuring b. murray on S.N.L. the who sketch is dedicated to the hideous dubbing that went on. it was a riot if you got into it. he played hurcules w/ a huge gut.  the perpous odd this sketch was to show how badly some of these dubs got.  

« Last Edit: May 20, 2003, 10:44:16 PM by KERMIT » Logged
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 06:18:24 AM »

The dubbing is bad due to the Italian tradition of bad dubbing.

LOL,just kidding. Wink I don't know why the dubbing is bad.The dubbers were having a bad day?

KERMIT
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 11:02:25 AM »

there are just some things the good lord ment for us not to unnerstand. some misseries...er mysteries are better left unsolved jupa.                                        Undecided
kermit

Angel Eyes
Bandido

I'll ask the questions!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2003, 04:51:51 AM »

I watched High Plains Drifter the other night, although it is a great film (very spaghetti-esque) I couldnt help thinking that there was something not quite right about it, something was missing, something very subtle.
Then I realised what it was, the dubbing/lip-sync, it was too good.

The thing with the Dollars trilogy and indeed all spaghetti westerns is the 'bad' dubbing. It has become as an important part of these films as anything else, it is a trademark of the genre, an artform in itself. The feelings these films evoke in us everytime we watch them trigger memories in our subconcious of years gone buy, memories of watching these films for the first time and wondering why the lip-sync is so bad, becoming intrigued by it, thinking it was so badly dubbed it must be deliberate, wondering if it was originally in a different language, then slowly getting drawn into the film until you didnt notice it at all.
It is like some primordial gene carried in our dna (the spaghetti gene). It adds to the air of mystery associated with the genre.
Everytime I put a spaghetti on at home and watch it with friends, it's never too long before someone will comment on how bad the dubbing is. A smile like the smile of the devil will cross my face, "I know, isn't it beautiful"

« Last Edit: July 17, 2003, 04:55:47 AM by Angel Eyes » Logged
Garry Cowell
Bandido

Did you bring a horse for me?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2003, 07:24:13 AM »

If you guys think the dubbing is bad on the 'Dollars Trilogy' then you clearly haven't seen many spaghetti westerns!  Tongue

The English dubbing in something like Django makes The Good, The Bad & The Ugly dub look like it was shot sync sound and mastered in DTS! Grin

marqkin
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 04:14:52 AM »

Just wondering......
Do any other fans have any ideas as to who would have the most INAPPROPRIATE voice, when it came to dubbing the characters in the Leone films...after all, the voice makes the character.....
I realise that - on this wonderful site - there are fans from around the world who may think of names that the rest of us don't recognise - but let's hear  your thoughts and ideas, anyway.... Forgive me if my choices (mostly British) are unknown to you....
I must admit, I found it quite amusing over the weekend thinking about this...anyway...here's a few of my thoughts...

NOTE: It's a good idea to try this after at least one glass of red wine....and then attempt to quote lines from the films in the voice of the LEAST appropriate dubbing artiste.....!!!!

THE MAN WITH NO NAME..................... Joe Pasquale
SILVANITO (the bar-tender in 'FISTFUL OF DOLLARS').............     Ronnie Corbett
RAMON ROJO...............   Paul O'Grady
PIRIPERO (the coffin maker in 'FOD').............  Jack Dee 
COLONEL DOUGLAS MORTIMER................  Patrick Moore
TUCO............  Lee Evans
INDIO............  John Cleese
THE HUNCHBACK ................ Harry Enfield

These are just a few ideas........as I said.....it helps to have a glass of wine/beer/tequila etc. beforehand, and then enjoy!!
Adios for now......

moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 06:17:01 AM »

Just wondering......
Do any other fans have any ideas as to who would have the most INAPPROPRIATE voice, when it came to dubbing the characters in the Leone films...after all, the voice makes the character.....
I realise that - on this wonderful site - there are fans from around the world who may think of names that the rest of us don't recognise - but let's hear  your thoughts and ideas, anyway.... Forgive me if my choices (mostly British) are unknown to you....
I must admit, I found it quite amusing over the weekend thinking about this...anyway...here's a few of my thoughts...

NOTE: It's a good idea to try this after at least one glass of red wine....and then attempt to quote lines from the films in the voice of the LEAST appropriate dubbing artiste.....!!!!

THE MAN WITH NO NAME..................... Joe Pasquale
SILVANITO (the bar-tender in 'FISTFUL OF DOLLARS').............     Ronnie Corbett
RAMON ROJO...............   Paul O'Grady
PIRIPERO (the coffin maker in 'FOD').............  Jack Dee 
COLONEL DOUGLAS MORTIMER................  Patrick Moore
TUCO............  Lee Evans
INDIO............  John Cleese
THE HUNCHBACK ................ Harry Enfield

These are just a few ideas........as I said.....it helps to have a glass of wine/beer/tequila etc. beforehand, and then enjoy!!
Adios for now......

John Cleese is the only one I've ever heard of.

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 07:33:59 AM »

John Cleese is the only one I've ever heard of.

Same here; and it made me really laugh! Grin

It's a pity that you can't know Czech actors, really... I thought about something like Petr Brukner for Angel Eyes... but it can't be funny for you. Tongue (OK, to explain at least a bit: he plays in such mischief-making theatre and often has female roles... his voice also always sounds a bit unfortunate or something like that - no whinning, he has such high voice naturally. Can you at least a bit imagine that it's the least possible dubbing actor for Lee Van Cleef?)

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
Bill Carson
Gunslinger

Where`s that damn fly...!?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 05:44:59 AM »

For example:

THE MAN WITH NO NAME..................................................... Steven Sigal
SILVANITO (the bar-tender in 'FISTFUL OF DOLLARS')......... Rowan Atkinson
RAMON ROJO....................................................................... Jean Wilder
PIRIPERO (the coffin maker in 'FOD')................................... Paul Sorvino 
COLONEL DOUGLAS MORTIMER........................................... Joe Pesci
TUCO................................................................................... Silvester Stallone
INDIO.................................................................................. Voody Allen
THE HUNCHBACK ................................................................ Sean Connery

This is without a glass of something (wine/beer/tequila)... Roll Eyes   You could imagine then (or you can`t), what the result would be if I had a glass of something...! Grin

ned kelly
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 05:02:43 AM »

love to see james earl jones dubbing for tuco, too bloody good Shocked

\\\" i tried to contain myself, but i escaped.\\\"
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 03:54:56 PM »

This is a topic that seems to regularly be posted about on this and other Spaghetti Western Web Boards.

When I was a kid watching For A Few Dollars More for the first time I never was bothered by the dubbing, I accepted easily the grunts the groans the crazed laughter the facial ticks that masked the actors original language dialogs. It never bothered me, the only time I actually notice the dubbing in Italian Westerns is where when the voice doesn't seem to match the actor convincingly or when the dialog ends and the lips continue to move, or vise-versa.

On the other hand every once in a while someone posts that the dubbing is terrible and the lip movements don't match the words of spoken dialog.

It really bugs them to the point that they cannot enjoy the film at times.

I say to myself "what are these guys somekind of lip readers?" I don't consciously pay attention to lip movements, if somebody asked me what are the specific lip movements to the word say "continental" I couldn't tell you unless I looked in a mirror while I said it.

So what is up with this? Are some people subconsciously natural born lip readers? Or is it "Something to do with Deafness" or the hearing impaired or the potential of being hearing impaired in the future (family history), that causes some people to rely upon subconsciously visual clues in addition to the spoken word?

It's very strange I wonder do they notice how cartoon chatacters move their drawn lips too, I mean what the heck is up with this? How about ventriloquist dummies do they think the dummy is dubbed badly.

So the question is this something gentic?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 04:48:30 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Lac qui Parle
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 02:50:21 PM »

Hmm. Iíd say it is genetic. Some people are auditory learners and others are visual learners. Dubbing must drive the visual learners crazy because they are ďwatchingĒ the communication between actors as much as they are listening to it. The auditory learners probably donít notice it as much. They just take in the voices and donít pay (as much) attention to the visuals.

There are also tactile and kinesthetic learners. But thatís a different thread...

Lac qui Parle
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 02:54:55 PM »

On second thought, maybe itís the other way around. Maybe auditory learners are more susceptible to flawed oral cues.

People also have varying cognizance of space. Like people who instinctively can tell north from south. (Men have this 10x more than women --- for anyone who has studied psychology.) That means some people might be more aware of when dynamics are incongruent with visual space.

So ... an auditory learner with high spatial reasoning? These are the bastards you do not want at your Spaghetti Western party!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 04:24:14 PM by Lac qui Parle » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 05:02:18 PM »

Thanks Lac qui Parle, it makes sense, I had the suspision that there had to be a reason for it.

So which is it, the auditory learners or visual learners did you decide?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM