Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 12:21:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dubbing Good & Bad is it "Something to do with Deafness"?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dubbing Good & Bad is it "Something to do with Deafness"?  (Read 13639 times)
Lac qui Parle
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 07:17:28 AM »

Auditory? Who knows. I actually donít know a thing about the human psyche.  Cheesy  I do get smacks for a pretty creative answer though. Maybe someone else can take the helm.

I do like your topics. They read like a newspaper column. Makes me wish I had a coffee and a jelly donut.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 06:14:42 AM »

This is a VERY reasonable criticism. One doesn't need lip-reading skills in order to tell that someone speaking in Italian isn't actually speaking rather stilted English. In FOD and FAFDM the dubbing is atrocious. From GBU on it gets significantly better.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Lac qui Parle
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 09:18:58 AM »

True. And eloquence among scoundrels, at that. I suppose it doesn't do much for the suspension of disbelief.

I never notice dubbed voices. I only notice when things are too loud or too quiet, when distances don't match up sound-to-sight. Who's watching mouths anyway?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 03:16:50 PM »

I'm with Lac, I don't notice it either unless its very obvious.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 04:21:49 PM »

I'm with Lac, I don't notice it either unless its very obvious.

Well, I don't pay attention to mouths, I pay attention to the face. And the mouth is part of the face. And yes, it is very obvious in these movies.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 07:06:45 PM »

You are one of them that this topic is about then, obviously.  Afro

I don't notice it, tell us, when you watch cartoons can you tell if they are dubbed too?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 08:35:28 PM »

Cartoons are different, Joe, because they do not attempt to display the hundreds of facial movements that occur when characters talk. Mouth movement is therefore simplified to such a degree that there is really no correspondence between sound and image; we are used to this, from seeing it so often, that it becomes a convention of the form and therefore invisible. And there is no difference when dubbing cartoons into different languages: they all work equally well.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 10:17:16 PM »

Cartoons are different, Joe, because they do not attempt to display the hundreds of facial movements that occur when characters talk. Mouth movement is therefore simplified to such a degree that there is really no correspondence between sound and image; we are used to this, from seeing it so often, that it becomes a convention of the form and therefore invisible. And there is no difference when dubbing cartoons into different languages: they all work equally well.

No shit

I was being facetious  Cool

there is really no correspondence between sound and image; we are used to this, from seeing it so often, that it becomes a convention of the form and therefore invisible.

This is exactly what the dubbing in these films has become for me invisible  Afro

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 10:29:01 PM »

I think the people that notice it are those who don't normally watch dubbed movies. All these foreign films are niche titles. the Leone films are as well but are more well known due to the Eastwood connection. I know of people that were around when FFOD was out and they never heard of it even today. And then there are those who have only heard the names but never the films. I noticed a dubbed film recently on the Western channel--RAMPAGE AT APACHE WELLS. I had no idea it was a Winnetou movie till it started and the artificiality of the dubbed voices began. And there's some languages that you can't dub perfectly such as Chinese and Japanese. A tonal language wherein sentences end with the mouth open much of the time whereas our sentences end with the mouth closed. In order to get these two to match somewhat with the words spoken, the scripted words are changed drastically.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 10:41:10 PM »

No shit

I was being facetious  Cool
Then you were being facetious twice, because you asked the same thing in your first post. Are you one of those guys who makes a facetious comment and, when no one responds, you just keep making it until everyone gets really, really annoyed? I used to think better of you, Joe!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 04:20:04 AM »

I didn't think anyone would take the cartoon comment seriously (except maybe Groggy).  Wink

But actually there were a few cartoons that looked as if they were drawn around a filmed moving mouth, I can't remember which one though.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 04:23:57 AM by cigar joe » Logged

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 04:27:33 AM »

Maybe some of the Disney ones, the ones famous for following human movements exactly?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 05:05:40 AM »

No it wasn't Disney, it was one or two of the Saturday morning cartoons it looked as if they actually inked over live action actors mouths. We could probably google it and find it eventually.

marmota-b
Bounty Killer

It's perfect timing, large one...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 05:09:36 AM »

RAMPAGE AT APACHE WELLS. I had no idea it was a Winnetou movie till it started

What was the story? Huh The only "Apache Wells" IMdb finds is Duel at Apache Wells and that's no Winnetou... so I wondered which film it was...

Well, I don't notice the English dubbing in Leone (partly also because I have FOD in Italian...), but I very much notice most of the Czech dubbing. I suppose with the Czech ones it has much more to do with what Lac mentioned - the discrepancy of loudness.

There are two kinds of films in this world:those which stay,even when their genre is forgotten,and those which don't.
moviesceleton
Bounty Killer

The glance that makes holes in the silver screen

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 06:56:49 AM »

I can tell of AFOD and FAFDM that they are dubbed but I don't usually notice it while watching them nor does it annoy me. In Finland they don't dub foreign movies (thank God for that), so one would think I'd be especially sensitive to dubbing...

"Once Upon a Time in America gets ten-minute ovation at Cannes"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM