Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 07:07:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  For a Few Dollars More (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  What a great SW
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What a great SW  (Read 5918 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2006, 10:17:22 PM »

Watched this again today, I try and limit my indulgences and savor Leone's films like fine wine.

Its just so much better in every way to the western factory grind them out US Westerns of the time, even in the tinyest details, one I noticed today was in the bank when Mortimer is asking the manager about the largest safest bank in the territory. He says "now supose I was a bandit" and we get that wonderful little understated scene where the manager swings the door of his safe shut, lol.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 11:18:15 PM »

How many times you watched it?

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 11:18:44 PM »

This is where Sergio really busted out and started being amazing outside the Hammett/Kurosawa axis of a man between two bosses.     Here he started themes that would carry all the way through Once Upon a Time in America.   Timepiece?  Trains?   Flashback?   Yeah, this is the beginning of the "masterpiece" phase.

More feeling.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 07:27:15 AM »

How many times you watched it?

When I was going to high school I was about 5 blocks from Times Square, so anytime they showed the dollars films I was there after school, at that time (before VHS) I figured I was never going to see them on TV or if so severely cut, so I literally memorised the films. During that period 1967 up to 1970 I probably saw them each about 10 times.

After that I probably rented then when they first came out on VHS, but I never bought a VHS copy, I probably recorded them off the TV sometime in the 80's, so I had those copies floating around and probably watched them once a year up until the DVD issues.

I watch them now sparingly so that each time its like seeing an old friend where you get re-aquainted and re-remember different things. Now at least I do have other SW's to while away some time but Leone's from FAFDM on are just a notch above the rest, and seeing the films sparingly really brings home that fact.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 06:13:48 PM »

More thoughs.....

These were all about style too, I'm sure you've all scene the pics of Sergio showing Van Cleef how he wanted him to hold the gun when he is reholstering it, or Leone demonstrationg how to hold a rifle in the Irish Pub, etc., etc.

Now you got to figure WTF,  that Western veterans Van Cleef, Eastwood, Coburn et al, all should have known how to hold a gun, but Leone had this sence of "style" that he imbued into these films.

I noticed one of these touches at the beginning of FAFDM. When Mortimer gets to the saloon where he inquires about Calloway he ties his horse to the hitching post, not the normal way you or I or anybody in a thousand Westerns would do it, by looking at what you are doing, lol, Mortimer does it very cooly, never taking his attention off the saloon entrance wrapping it around the post as he's walking by, that had to be one of those Leone touches.

Later on when Indio's gang is breaking him out they shoot the gaurds by almost using a punching motion with the revolvers, during this Leone also shoots at what looks very obviously like dawn pretty cool, you don't see a lot of flicks where you can tell the time of day.

Another nice touch is the bell peals where Indio is telling Nino his plan of freeing the bounty killers, each peal accentuating a point, just cool stuff extra flourishes that really transended the Western genre.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 06:20:03 PM by cigar joe » Logged

KERMIT
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 10:07:20 PM »

i'll always remember mortimer departing to
 "goodbye, colonel".   Cry    never has such an interesting character been wasted so badly w/ no sequels.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 12:20:14 AM »

He had just that one sister.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 01:44:58 AM »

And at least one brother: Angel Eyes.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
KERMIT
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 09:50:09 AM »

He had just that one sister.
bravo titoli. when retrieving the watch off indio's body there's a look of sadness and hurt deep in mortimer's eyes.  i suppose leone told him to do this.
but it's LVC who owns those eyes.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 09:57:54 AM by Kermit » Logged
Tim
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 02:32:21 PM »

Kermit, I'm a huge fan of that last scene with Manco and Mortimer as the sun sets behind them.  The dialogue is great between them, like the rest of the movie, but Mortimer seems very human for the first time instead of a machine-like killer.

The same could be said for Manco.  He's willing to split all the bounties for Indio and his gang, and he might not agree with Mortimer's decision to leave w/o the money, but you can see that Manco respects him.

Great movie.  I watched it a couple weeks ago on AMC, but I really need to watch the dvd again.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 04:07:02 PM »

Kermit, I'm a huge fan of that last scene with Manco and Mortimer as the sun sets behind them.

Actually Tim it's a sunrise, just setting the record straight.

Tim
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 09:29:16 PM »

Is it a sunrise?  Until you said that, I just assumed it was the sun setting, or at least I thought that way with the continuity of the movie.

Either way, sunrise or sunset, its a great scene with some beautiful cinematography.  Thanks for pointing that out, cigar joe.  You can never have too many spaghetti western tidbits floating around in your head.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 09:35:53 PM »

Well it was night time, they were cut loose by Nino as a cock was crowing, they shoot everyone, Mortimer rides off into a rising sun, Manco rides off with the wagon.  Cool

Tim
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 09:47:55 PM »

Are you sure? Nino lets them go, Nino kills Slim, and all those proceedings.  Then it seems to me that when we next see Manco and Mortimer that's it now morning or sometime the next day.

Unless I'm going nuts, but I can swear there's a blue sky while they wait for Indio's gang in front of the tavern.  You're not just messing with me, are you cigar joe?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 06:59:50 AM »

Are you sure? Nino lets them go, Nino kills Slim, and all those proceedings.  Then it seems to me that when we next see Manco and Mortimer that's it now morning or sometime the next day.

No I'm not sure, but I don't think it would take a whole day between when they are cut loose and when Mortimer rides off in such a small place as Agua Caliente, I think its just probably a continuity slip with the blue sky. The other possiblity is Leone is tweeking our sence of time again and it could be that it takes a whole day to knock off Indio's gang. Nothing is cut in stone here Tim  Cool

Another little style touch that always gets me that I just remembered about is when Indio and his gang ride into El Paso, check out the way Indio rides his horse, lol, he has his hands at his sides sitting straight up in the saddle, its a very cool look.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 07:19:40 AM by cigar joe » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM