Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 01:38:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Man,Pride,Vengeance(L'uomo,l'orgoglio,la vendetta)(1968)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Man,Pride,Vengeance(L'uomo,l'orgoglio,la vendetta)(1968)  (Read 10705 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2006, 08:41:22 PM »

Got my FrancoCleef  English language restoration today, Nero & Kinsky can't go wrong with that,  Grin.

I'll report back asap.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 06:23:31 AM »

Look forward to hearing about it Joe  Smiley

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 07:53:06 AM »

Got my FrancoCleef  English language restoration today, Nero & Kinsky can't go wrong with that,  Grin.

I'll report back asap.
Where did you get this from Cigar Joe as i've been meaning to replace my knackered out vhs copy?
Leone Admirer-i've never seen Carmen(the Opera?) but this is a great SW-style version(although its based in Spain!!) and the straight/romantic performance of Nero is a revelation as is the actress who plays Carmen.Kinski is also on nasty top form and i really enjoy the Spanish flamenco guitar style accompaniment to the movie-the opening scene is a real killer btw!
Excellent movie!!!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 04:40:41 PM »

Where did you get this from Cigar Joe

FrancoCleef email him here:

http://disc.server.com/Indices/160642.html

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 05:27:12 PM »

thanks for the brief banjo. Sounds interesting, another one to add to the wish list.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 08:49:23 PM »

Ok banjo, you are right, I guess this classifies as a Italian-Spanish Western  Cool.  1968.

Just got done watching this and its amazing to see the landscape un-linked to the myths of the American West. and re-hitched to a what you can only call a "Spanish Western "or maybe a "Spanish Almerian". 

For instance, you get familiar SW scenery and landscapes with riders going across but where your standard SW will cut away we follow as the rider approaches a medieval wall and goes through the gate, it aint Arizona or Texas anymore,lol.  I suppose if we all went back and watched the Hercules and other Sword & Sandal Epics we may see more familiar landscapes.

And its based on the classic novella Carmen that in turn the Opera was also based on.

Carmen is the beautiful gypsie seductress that is constantly conning guys that get trapped in her schemes through out her life, so basically that is what you get, but its very well made.

Dir. Luigi Bazzoni does a pretty good job with his treatment of the original material, instead of gunfights & battles you got some incredibly well shot action in fight scenes and knife fights. What you get is not the basic standard shot that you see in 99 % of films but a series of close in camera angles intercut with wider shots, it feels like you are part of the action.

There is also a bull fight sequence that is pretty cool, for the fact that it looks like it may be the same ring used in The Mercenary. There is some shooting but nothing like your standard SW.  Its a great way to see the classic Carmen "Spaghetti" style.

Carmen is played by Tina Aumont and she will remind you a lot of Claudia Cardinale, Franco Nero plays the officer Jose driven insane by Carmen and Klaus Kinsky in another cameo plays Carmen's out of the way in prison husband, so when he is finally released there is a settiling of accounts with Nero.

In fact there are a number of settling of accounts between Nero and Aumont.

There are a couple of regular SW actors you'll recognize in the cast, too.

The score is Spanish guitar and fits the film really well, its definitely a change of pace the story worked for me. Its one of those genre bending films that is more similar to SWs than anthing else.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 05:41:52 AM by cigar joe » Logged

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 04:45:12 PM »

Cigar Joe LIKED a romance-centered SW!    Where's the other three horsemen of the Apocalypse?

lol, well it was a very borderline SW, and it was well made, and I used to have Francesco Rosi's Carmen (1984) and this version is way better and more interesting. 

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 01:58:20 AM »

Spot on review Cigar Joe for what i consider a very much one of its kind SW!

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2006, 01:58:47 AM »

can anyone bring up a cover for this film i havn't got one.

That could just be cannon fire.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2006, 05:44:04 AM »

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 02:08:32 AM »

bless you.

Le Bon
Gunslinger

You'd better be Bill Carson

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 12:01:18 PM »

Here's another one.

indio
Gunslinger

just a son of a bitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 02:24:53 PM »

thank you very much.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 08:31:08 PM »

Here's one that I like a lot-->

Good movie...didn't particularly care for the English dub, though. This is one I would have preferred in Italian w/ English subs.
And..you can't fool me..trying to pass off Texas as Spain...HA!!  Roll Eyes  Wink

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2006, 06:31:32 AM »

I've got a video of this movie and i think Franco Nero's English dubbing is great as per usual as is the dubbing for Carmen and Kinski's character.The only anomaly are the Spanish bandits in the mountains who have strangely been given American accents!

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM