Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 02:47:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)  (Read 55043 times)
Tim
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2006, 02:04:48 PM »

I first saw PGABTK last year in its cut form, about 106 minutes, and the bookends of Garrett's death really hurt the movie.  Seeing that scene reinserted in the beginning and end really helped the movie's tone overall, especially what grandpa chum said with Billy "shooting" Pat Garrett.

Good movie and a dvd I'm glad to have in my collection.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2006, 09:55:05 PM »

I bought the box set today and watched bits and pieces of both pg&btk... my suspicions were correct... the lyrics on the knockin on heaven's door scene simply don't work at all... not as well as lyricless anyway... and they took out one of the best lines of the movie to make room for the lyrics... they cut when LQ jones laughs and says to pat "best friends" just after pat shoots him off the rooftop... they also took out the epilogue death, the new ending works, just not as well... and since that disc has nothing else of value on it, it's basically useless to me... they also screwed up the sound at the end of the '88 turner preview cut... dylan's guitar sounds like an ice pick banging against a tin can... if it weren't for the featurettes and the commentary on the '88 preview disc it would be useless to me too, after all that work they put into it my bootleg dvd taken from the '88 preview cut laserdisc is the best version I own... it's even the same picture quality as the new '88 preview dvd because they didn't touch it up at all.

no matter though, The other 3 dvds in the set are well worth the 40 bucks I paid at best buy... it would have cost me more to get 'em seperately anyway.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2006, 11:10:46 PM »

... if it weren't for the featurettes and the commentary on the '88 preview disc it would be useless to me too, after all that work they put into it my bootleg dvd taken from the '88 preview cut laserdisc is the best version I own... it's even the same picture quality as the new '88 preview dvd because they didn't touch it up at all.

It is a shame they didn't do anything to improve '88 turner; obviously the energy went into 2005. Too bad they didn't do right by both.

Can't say I'm bothered by cut lines from LQ Jones in his death scene. I find the scene annoying, especially the fact that LQ flagrantly violates Tuco's Law.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2006, 11:45:40 PM »

tuco's law?

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2006, 01:20:42 AM »

You know, the one about shooting rather than talking....

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2006, 02:21:53 AM »

oh yeah, well i don't think he qualifies... seeing as how every time he had a shot he took it, he just taunted pat when he didnt

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2006, 07:07:23 PM »

That's the whole point. You don't wait for opportunities, you create opportunities. LQ Jones is just too laid back about the whole thing. He's not focusing on the task at hand, which is why he ends up dead. Also, it's always a bad idea to let an opponent who can't see you know where you are by chattering away.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2006, 10:56:33 PM »

thats true... but that is why he's dead and garretts the professional... I don't think it's annoying that he was taunting garrett and died for it... but thats a matter of opinion...

i am btw warming up to a lot of the little things done to the '05 version, mostly changing some of the order of the sequences and the knockin on heavens door lyrics, still wish the opening credits and the end credits were untouched, they were so perfect as is... but they did a wonderful job with the middle 4/5's of the film.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2006, 06:01:17 AM »

I recently got round to watching the discs on the Warner set. What a great film. I'm wondering how the BBFC will handle the opening (animal killings can not be allowed into a film in the UK, the bbfc will cut it out).

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Tim
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2006, 01:30:43 PM »

I'm currently reading a new bio about Peckinpah, "Bloody Sam", that talked about the way animals were treated on PGABTK, most notably the chickens in the beginning and horses throughout, especially one particular stunt fall.  I think the one where Jorge Russek gets shot from his horse, but I'm not sure.

The best part though was Peckinpah's reaction to receiving all that flak.  He went off on those detractors writing a letter that is both hilarious and terrifying at the same time.  If there are any Peckinpah fans out there, "Bloody Sam: The Life and Films of Sam Peckinpah" by Marshall Fine is an excelllent biography, and also an easy read.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2006, 08:15:08 PM »

Thanks for the heads up I'll check it out. Once I'n done with John Reed's "Insurgent Mexico" which is also an easy and great read.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2006, 06:07:09 PM »

For fans of the film, and anyone even remotely interested in Peckinpah, this is essential reading:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=60755

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2006, 02:02:51 PM »

the man who wrote that article sums up my feelings exactly... paul seydor ruined the movie, and they botched the '88 version dvd... it's sad reallly.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2006, 06:13:40 AM »

Since I have today off from school, I'm planning to watch "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" today.  I'll be sure to post my comments on it as soon as I'm done.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2006, 08:09:10 AM »

Kris Kristofferson sucks!!!!!
Coburn is excellent

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM