Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 08:23:42 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973)  (Read 55124 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2006, 07:10:29 PM »

Well, titoli, we finally agree on something. I'm a big Iron Cross fan myself.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2006, 09:41:13 PM »

I haven't seen Cross of Iron yet  Huh

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2006, 10:58:25 PM »

Well, titoli, we finally agree on something.

Well, it is amazing that you say this, as I thought you were the one here with whom I shared most of my kind of approach. Of course, we can disagree on particulars, but that is not what counts, isn't it? (And even that it is not true, as you have probably already forgotten the thread on indians). And then, finally, I think we are in this forum to exchange, possibly, "different" opinions: if we shared the same ones, what we'd be doing here? talk about the weather?   

I haven't seen Cross of Iron yet 

Well, this is one of those strange things. Almost everybody here seems to have seen (and liked) Alfredo Garcia, not one of the most famous Peckinpah's and also a movie without a star. And everybody seems to have missed a Coburn. How do you explain this? Must I assume that in USA the movie wasn't so easy to get?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2006, 01:47:30 AM »

Cross of Iron contains Coburns best performance outside of DYS-out of the movies i've seen with him in so far !

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2006, 02:28:31 AM »

agreed. and this makes the question of the scarce popularity of the movie even more amazing.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2006, 07:32:36 AM »

agreed. and this makes the question of the scarce popularity of the movie even more amazing.

Cross of Iron contains Coburns best performance outside of DYS-out of the movies i've seen with him in so far !

Its never even been on TV that I can remember and I've never seen it for rent in the Video Stores, what's up with that?

Just did a quick check on Amazon.com and the R1 version available is the Hen's Tooth DVD and apparently its very cut

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2006, 07:35:55 AM »

There is supposed to be a new SE of Cross of iron coming out soon I believe in R2. I havent seen this film in a while and am tempted to pick it up. I'm still waiting for my Peckinpah boxset though  Sad (Oh well I've just made a start of my unwatched noirs, I watched A Dark Corner last night which was fantastic and am moving on tonight to see A Kiss Of Death  Grin )

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2006, 07:45:14 AM »

Well, just so you know, Bo Hopkins (and not Kristofferson) was Peckinpah's original choice for Billy.  Make of that what you will.

Saturday nights with Groggy
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2006, 08:07:44 AM »

Bo Hopkins huh, very interesting, thanks Groggy.

And LA, Dark Corner is great, when Nick gets out of prison & goes straight the little neighborhood where he lives is along side Astoira Park (the Two Bridges in the bg.) as a kid I used to go there with the folks and watch the ships go by in the East River.

Though the commentators get it wrong when Nick and family are waiting for the train that scene is along the Hudson River not anywhere near Astoria.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2006, 10:10:15 AM »

And LA, Dark Corner is great, when Nick gets out of prison & goes straight the little neighborhood where he lives is along side Astoira Park (the Two Bridges in the bg.) as a kid I used to go there with the folks and watch the ships go by in the East River.

Though the commentators get it wrong when Nick and family are waiting for the train that scene is along the Hudson River not anywhere near Astoria.

Oh wow! That must have been amazing. It was fun watching it and recognising bits of New York that I am familair with and seeing them in the movie from 1946.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2006, 12:27:05 PM »

Just did a quick check on Amazon.com and the R1 version available is the Hen's Tooth DVD and apparently its very cut

Then get yourself the Region2:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000056QAJ/qid=1137867505/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-0496406-8747637

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2006, 03:21:11 PM »

Still off topic but Richard Widmark as Udo is a hoot, right over the top, lol.

grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2006, 03:28:40 PM »

as for cross of iron... I've yet to see a peckinpah film I didn't love... cross of iron, osterman weekend, straw dogs, junior bonner, and yes, even convoy was pretty damn good.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2006, 04:19:03 PM »

I think that Osterman Weekend ranks with its best, I prefer it to Garcia: it's a mystery to me why this last is so appreciated and the former generally it isn't.   Junior Bonner, Straw Dogs and Convoy are OK, but I don't think they rank with Cross of Iron. Can you anyway explain the matter with this movie in USA?

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2006, 08:04:01 PM »

I really like PBand BTK.  Dylan's score was terrific, but its a shame he was in the movie.  Matter of factly, when Young Guns came out, its score was compared unfavoraably with PG and BTK.  Understandable.  Who could write music like Dylan. I agree about Kris, but thats Kris being Kris. 
I enjoy its huge cast of stars and supporting actors  especially getting a few glimpses of Rita Coolidge. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM