Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 01:31:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Massacre Time (Le colt cantarono la morte e fu...tempo di massacro)(1966)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Massacre Time (Le colt cantarono la morte e fu...tempo di massacro)(1966)  (Read 14579 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2006, 04:40:06 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061074/

http://www.spaghettiwestern.altervista.org/colt_cantarono.htm

This movie shows a very good director in Fulci: head and shoulder above the hacks of the trade (starting with Corbucci) in that he makes a point of always creating an original shot. Unfortunately he's not abetted by a solid screenplay (penned by Di Leo) and after a promising (though not original) start the movie loses itself in childish or  improbable plot turns. Still Fulci comes up often with some original solution which makes the movie a must see. Hilton steals the show from Nero, though his character is unresolved between a comic stance which will become his trademark and a more serious one.  Castelnuovo gives his best, but to me is not enough: I just can't figure him in the part. 
I think there's a japanese dvd with english audio around.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 08:29:32 PM by titoli » Logged

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 05:08:02 PM »

You're right about Hilton stealing the movie from Nero...this really got his SW career rolling.
There's gotta be a R1 disc around..I'm thinking Wildeast (?)...as it's available as a rental in one of my local video stores.

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Christopher
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 06:40:59 PM »

I've heard of this one before. Would love to see it.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 11:11:06 PM »

This looks like the one I rented--->
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.534064/qx/details.htm

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 01:55:39 AM »

I like Hilton especially in his Sartana/Hallelujah type roles but in the otherwise excellent Massacre Time(shame they dubb over Nero with that awful American accent) he comes over quite tiresome and irritating as the self-pitying drunk and its quite implausible that such a character could be so deadly with a gun.
Stick with the fun roles George,i say!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 02:29:56 AM »

that's exactly what he did, didn't he?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 12:31:14 PM »

Of course: you can't clown that much in gialli, can you?

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 07:39:47 AM »

that's exactly what he did, didn't he?
Do you think Hilton was trying to be funny Titoli?- because he's not and Massacre Time is far from the light-hearted sw's he excelled in like Any Gun Can Play,Moment To Kill,Sartana(can't recall full title!) and They Call Me Hallelujah.
Talking of his straighter roles i did like him in Bullet For Sandoval which is very bleak but a good western!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 11:02:19 AM »

If you read my first message in this topic you will see that I didn't speak of his character as simply funny.
About his later career it may not have been all on a funny line, but surely he is associated generally with a more lighhearted production than other actors like Nero or Gemma. 

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 05:08:45 AM »

Apologises Titoli, i misinterpreted you the first time!!

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 03:10:35 PM »

I just saw this movie last night and it is easily one of my favorite SWs of all time. It's such a great movie! Very fun. There are some moments that are too unbelievable ( when George Hilton shoots six gunmen while riding a horse sideways ) and a few errors here and there ( 11 shots fired from a six-shooter, dead men at the bottom of the stairs that literally disappear in the next shot ).

Even with those mistakes, the movie's great. Interesting characters ( Junior is one of the sickest villains I've ever seen in a SW ), good pace, fantastic theme song. Good spaghetti that you'll soon want another helping of.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 04:57:46 PM »

What about the dubbing?

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 05:01:11 PM »

The dubbing was very good.

Franco Nero's voice is believable. George Hilton's voice was a very good match too, but the best match IMO is Junior's. The person who did his voice added a hint of weirdness and sadism that fit the character like a glove.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 05:05:38 PM »

Thanks Peace you should always mention dubbing with SW reviews, it can be a killer with some films.  Grin

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 05:09:35 PM »

Thanks Peace you should always mention dubbing with SW reviews, it can be a killer with some films.  Grin

You have a good point.

The worst part of Bullet for The General was Kinski's HORRIBLE dubbing.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM