Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 08:43:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Un genio, due compari, un pollo aka A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe (1975)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Un genio, due compari, un pollo aka A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe (1975)  (Read 15324 times)
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 05:32:39 PM »

Try xploitedcinema.com. They have several different releases.

I checked there and couldn't find it.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 09:35:50 PM »

They have I believe a brit dvd under that name and also a four disc set from germany under the name NOBODYS THE GREATEST paired with MY NAME IS NOBODY. It's there you may have to look through all the spags to find it.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 12:38:28 PM »

I don't care how many people disliked this movie, I loved it!  Tongue   It's not as good as My Name is Nobody, but it's still good.

I liked the assortment of characters, they ranged from cool to just plain annoying. I didn't find Lucy annoying, just the person who dubbed her voice. Klaus Kinski's cameo was very bizarre, and even though he's in the movie for a brief period of time he really stands out.

I'm a big Patrick McGoohan fan, and I wasn't disappointed. He did an excellent job as Major Cabot, but I was surprised that he dubbed his own voice. At first I thought it was somebody trying to imitate his voice. Cabot, Steam Engine Bill, Klaus Kinski, and Jelly Roll were my favorite characters.

The beginning was directed by Sergio himself and like everyone else says, you can tell. The beginning was probably the best part of the movie. Damiano Damiani directed the rest and he just can't keep up with Leone.

I really liked the film. Not as good as My Name is Nobody, but very good none the less.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 04:01:06 PM »

Damiani is a good director in his own right. The TRINITY style is not his style however. Behind the scenes on the movie was very chaotic and probably added to the unevenness of the picture.

Damiani is more political whereas Leone took a  more comic book approach to his films.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 04:32:28 PM »

Damiani is more political whereas Leone took a  more comic book approach to his films.

I agree. Damiano did a fantastic job with Quien Sabe? but the slapstick westerns were not his cup of tea.

What's great about Leone is that he can do both, serious political films ( he proved that with DYS ) and silly comedy ( like in GBU ).

Can you imagine if Leone directed the whole movie.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 12:40:44 AM »

and silly comedy ( like in GBU ).

I wouldn't say GBU is a silly comedy. A comedy perhaps but there is no slapstick or sight gags.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 04:24:38 AM »

Correct, GBU is a serious film that has humorous sections, but its not a comedy in the least.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 04:39:00 AM »

I don't care how many people disliked this movie, I loved it!  Tongue   It's not as good as My Name is Nobody, but it's still good.
I totally agree Peacemaker.A definate feel good movie with its partly ecological theme and its one of those ones that grow on you with repeated viewing.Morricone is pretty much on par with his efforts for My Name Is Nobody including a wonderfully catchy title theme.
Very,very underated!

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2006, 07:43:59 AM »

I wouldn't say GBU is a silly comedy. A comedy perhaps but there is no slapstick or sight gags.

There are moments of silly comedy. Like in the beginning when Tuco jumps through the window and freezes to see a cartoonish title " The Ugly " appear. That's an example.

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2006, 09:31:26 AM »

There are moments of silly comedy. Like in the beginning when Tuco jumps through the window and freezes to see a cartoonish title " The Ugly " appear. That's an example.

Yes, and what a lovely expression he has.

I heard that they had the idea to write in those slides of "The Ugly" and such in post-production. Is that true? Because, if they didn't have that in mind while they were shooting the film, Eli Wallach made that expression naturally while he was jumping through the window.  Grin

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 02:49:13 AM »

not sure why this one gets such a bad rap.. just finished it and i thoroughly enjoyed it

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 07:00:56 AM »

I'm sure i read somewhere that the mafia stole the film reels in an attempt to blackmail the filmakers so instead Leone and co patched together a movie made out of outtakes! Shocked
Still pretty good all the same Afro

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 03:00:56 PM »

Yes, that is discussed on the even more enjoyable near 90 minute doc on the making of it. They never mention the mafia but the reels were stolen and the film had to be finished using footage from different film stock; among other problems. Leone was hands off this time around only shooting the opening segment which is at odds with the remainder of the film.

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 05:54:16 PM »

very interesting.. wish i had access to the bonus documentary

the disc i have is swedish/finnish(i believe).. looks like its part of a bud spencer/terrence hill set or something, because i have several of these discs that all have the same kind of dvd menu with a fist that punches at the screen and has bud spencer and terrance hill as selectable options for the country.. annnyway...

the opening scene is definitely leone...

i guess i was expecting this movie to be a lot worse, considering all the bashing... i thought it was directed pretty well, lots of good shots and great scenery.. nothing to complain about the sets and costumes... the voice overs were not good, but we should all be used to that by now.. the kinski voice over had to be one of the worst i've heard..

the explosion at the end was nice

i've always been pretty turned off by the idea of comedy westerns, and i've avoided most, until lately.. but so far, i've liked both of the 'nobody' films quite a bit

Ringo
Chicken Thief

The sixgun made 'em different...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2007, 11:03:58 PM »

Just watched it...

The rather patronizing documentary on the DVD describes the troubles this movie went through, and you can tell. The editing is sometimes choppy, the film stock changes from shot to shot, ect. The main problem is the story, which is basically a slapstick Sartana film. For the life of me, I could not figure out Joe's plans, his motivations, or how he was able to pull off what he did.

The main strength is the cast. Hill, McGoohan, and Kinski (even if he was dubbed by an old redneck woman) need no introduction, but I really liked Robert Charlebois as Bill. Having a bumbling, unlikable partner was a nice surprise, and he pulled it off well. Wonder how they got the idea to cast him.

Morricone's score isn't one of his best, but that title theme is darn catchy. In fact, I'm humming it right now. Hopefully it will go away by the morning.

The humor aspect is pulled off more successfully than in the first Nobody (and yes, I do consider this a sequel. Terence Hill has the same clothes, and that was enough for the Dollars films to interconnect) and I get the feeling this one will grow on me.

Finally (long review!), does anyone know the original ending? I had read that it ended differently, but that the production troubles forced a new one.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 11:18:00 PM by Ringo » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM