Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 09:17:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Un genio, due compari, un pollo aka A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe (1975)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Un genio, due compari, un pollo aka A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe (1975)  (Read 15627 times)
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 05:55:14 AM »

Yes in some respects this movie is as confusing as a Sartana film with similar twists and turns but is still a great film even with its troubled history,i'd like to know more so i'm tempted by the German dvd of both this and My Name Is Nobody.Like many of the best movies A Genius... is a definate grower with an added feel good factor.

I love the soundtrack.The main theme is even catchier than My Name Is Nobody and the way that scat-like vocalising goes up the major scale is truly wonderful. Smiley

Who does the commentary Ringo?

Ringo
Chicken Thief

The sixgun made 'em different...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2007, 03:04:46 PM »

Who does the commentary Ringo?

You mean the documentary? It's a half hour long, narrated by a random German guy, and Terence Hill is interviewed briefly. It doesn't have a commentary. Apparently, the SPO release has an interview with Damiani, its not on the German DVD though.

If you like both movies, its certainly worth your money, as the picture quality is as good as its gonna get, even if, as someone else recently wrote, the documentaries are a little snotty.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2007, 06:11:46 AM »

Thanks Ringo,i've been keeping an eye on German Amazon in the hope that the Nobody discs will freefall in price either singularly or as the one box set. Smiley

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2007, 03:53:12 PM »

Terence Hill is interviewed briefly

Is he talking in german?

Ringo
Chicken Thief

The sixgun made 'em different...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2007, 05:10:14 PM »

Is he talking in german?

English, and rather well.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2007, 04:51:31 AM »

Leone Admirer's review from his SW Virgins Guide:-

Nobody Is The Greatest

What a disapointment. I did not enjoy much of this film. I found it convoluted, not funny and in some ways very sad. It's a shame that the last film of this years spaghetti season that I am reviewing is also the last western that Leone involved himself with and it is the most disapointing.
    The film follows the adventures of  Joe Thanks (Terence Hill) and his reluctant partner in crime Bill Locomotiva (Robert Charlebois) and an attractive lady with feelings towards Joe, Lucy (Miou-Miou) as they try to get three hundred thousand dollars. On their way they encounter Major Cabot (Patrick McGoohan) who threatens to destory their plan.
    The film is needlessly over plotted. The convoluted storyline creates huge plot holes and generally leaves the audience confused. Damiano Damini, whose excellent direction created the excellent A Bullet For The General really fails to catch much humor especially compared to My Name Is Nobody. There isn't any real drama to speak of to keep the audience occupied, and this is where the film, for me at any rate, suffers again.
   The opening directed by Leone is the best section of the film. It promises a much more exciting, action packed and darkly humerous film and it shows Leone to be the Il Maestro that we all know and love. the fact that the opening, I believe anyway, has little or nothing to do with the rest of the film shows how much of a mess the script must have been before shooting started. The biggest misforturne that fell apon the film was the fact that the negative was stolen and the film had to be be patched together from other material which despite TLE Films sterling restoration work can still be seen. How much the dissaperance of the negative hindered or even helped the film will never be known.
    Even having such great stars as Terence Hill and Patrick McGoohan doesn't help it. The documentary included on the DVD has a brief snippet of an interview with Terence Hill also shot for this DVD release in whcih he appears unwilling to discuss the film. Despite Hill's likeability as a person, he is swallowed by the terrible slap stick he has to do. The worse for me is when he is in a duel with Kalus Kinski, in a sequence in the film that is one of the few highlights of the film and even then its spoilt, when he fires his gun, though we never see it and what we do see is the gun leaping back into his holster.
    McGooham seems a little uncomfortable playing the major but he does create a good villain. Robert Charlebois is fine, though it seems a little overwhelmed as the role of the seemingly treacherous and bad tempered thief Locomotiva. Miou-Miou as Lucy looks beautiful and acts OK as the cute love interest but her dubbing is awful and the high pitched voice, which I doubt was Miou-Miou's, really grates.
    This is sadly one of the worst Morricone scores I have heard and it doesn't have any characteristic memorable themes that I usually associate with the great composer.
      This DVD was bought as part of a boxset released the the German division of Paramount home entertainment and features the two films My Name Is Nobody (Mein Name Ist Nobody) and Nobody Is The Greatest (Nobody Ist Der Grosse) which are made up of brand new restored transfers and extras created by TLE Films and which more infomation about the DVD and their other releases and functions can be found at www.TLE-Films.com
     As said before the print is made up of a lot of dupe elements because of the missing negative but TLE films have managed to do a good job cleaning it up. Whislt no near as good looking as My Name Is Nobody it still looks quite nice despite the odd print defect and weak colors. All this is mentioned in the enclosing documentary. The titles for the film are in German as this DVD was taken from Germany. The audio is presented in both English and German mono 2.0. The English mono is of a good quality. Bringing across music dialogue and sound effects quite well. I remember reading that there are some scenes missing from this release. It may be worth checking the rest of this board to find out but I thought I should give you a warning.
     On the second disc is the documentary Nobody Does It Half As Good As You which is 30 minutes long and is a much better doco then the one for My Name Is Nobody. Here we learn about the troubled history of the film and why it is so villified. Also included is a 10 minute interview with Terence Hill which has been seen in little bits during the other documentarys. It is interesting to hear the man speak and give out infomation on working for Sergio and on the two films. Also included is Wanted: Nobody Ist Der Grösste which is an extensive Gallery with collectables such
as Posters, Lobbycards & more from around the world. This is show with Morricone's score over the top, Nobody In The News which is an extensive stills gallery with the entire press book from Germany as well as Nobody On 8mm which is a  rare 8mm excerpt from the German versionand finally a DVD promotional trailer for TLE films release of the resoted Fistful Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More.
    It such a shame that film wasn't very good. I did not know much about if before viewing it and I left feeling very dissapointed. I would not recomend it to new and old spaghetti fans and the only people I would recomed it to are Leone fans who could see it as a curiosity.

mt_klaric
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2007, 11:55:33 AM »

I posted the opening scene of this film on youtube. Its personaly directed by Sergio Leone. I watched the film and being a Leone admirer It immediatly rang bells like, these shots are so Leone, stylish and resembleing the killing of the McBain family in OUATITW. And when I researched about the movie I found out that indeed Leone directed the opening scene!!I didnt know it before seeing the movie...

I mean, it has a totaly equal shot from OUATITW: the travelling when McBain is running to help his daughter and in this film, the same travelling of a bandit running to his house.

Also the amplified sounds are also noticeable, especially when we cut from the outside with the sound of opening the window in the house. And the sound of those summer insects, I dont know whats their name in english...grr.

Here s the clip and also below I posted the Revolution speech of Rod Steiger from A fistful of dynamite. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT0ro1oUoT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-cZWVChgYk

« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 12:04:20 PM by mt_klaric » Logged
The clint
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2007, 09:08:04 AM »

I just saw this film, and it is terrible! It seems like four different films were patched together at random, and until the last 20 minutes it was boring as hell. I admit it starts to get better with the chase scenes at the end but then I'd already spent almost an hour and a half getting to it. Such a shame, it could have been a lot better.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2007, 07:57:02 AM »

Like OUATITW it rewards repeated viewing. Afro

As regards the "four different films" comment,i'd say it's much more consistent in style and tone than MY NAME IS NOBODY .In fact out of the two i've probably watched Damiani's movie more times. Smiley

mezcal
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2007, 06:22:09 AM »

You guys ARE my SW database.
The great thing about all the reviews that have been posted is that you get a variety of opinions which obviously may not agree. i then take the leap and buy what i can. Given the 2 trinity movies and 'my name is nobody', the expectations for 'genius' were high. After watching the german paramount release, i understand why 'genius' is hardly talked about. The story is confused, the actors wasted - Macgoohan doesn't appear until an hour, Kinski has a 5 minute cameo, and half the movie has b-grade film used which jars, especially given the amazing scenery. BUT the reason for the movies failure for me, has been pointed out in an earlier post, while Damiani did the excellent 'a bullet for the general', he can't do comedy.
While it may get better with repeat viewings, for me it will never happen, AND even trying to compare this to 'nobody'.... sorry banjo, "Nobody' is a classic.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2009, 06:34:34 AM »

I (also) don't understand why so many people hate it. Sure, it's not comparable to Il mio nome č Nessuno or the (real) Trinity movies, but all in all it's a decent silly little time waster. Liked it much as a kid and still like it. Though I never understood why Doc Foster (Klaus Kinski) didn't come back... That's the only inexcusable flaw as far as I'm concerned.

7.2/10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
drinkanddestroy
Global Moderator
Bounty Killer

trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 03:58:01 AM »

According to Amazon, the dvd's aspect ratio is 1.33:1 http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Two-Partners-Dupe/dp/B000GIXCCY/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1357124229&sr=1-1&keywords=a+genius%2C+two+partners%2C+and+a+dupe

can anyone confirm this? No way am I gonna watch this if it's a pan and scan

There are three types of people in the world, my friend: those who can add, and those who can't.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 06:55:23 AM »

I found this on Youtube last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY3C6zIwd-A

I got through about an hour and found it a chore. I may or may not finish it later today.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 06:24:52 PM »

After the success of My Name is Nobody (1973), producer Sergio Leone rejoined Terence Hill for another Western spoof. A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe (1975) isn't as bad as its reputation suggests, but neither is it especially good.

Joe Thanks (Terence Hill) is a gunslinger-conman roaming the American West. Along with sometime partners Steam Engine Bill (Robert Charlebois) and Lucy (Miou-Miou), Joe stumbles onto Major Cabot's (Patrick McGoohan) evil scheme. Cabot discovers a gold mine on Navajo Indian land, and hopes to procure it by provoking a war with the Indians. Joe, Bill and Lucy stage an elaborate con with Bill impersonating a Cavalry Colonel (Jean Martin) to swindle Cabot and save the Navajo.

Genius started as a Western riff on Going Places (1974), a French sex farce also featuring Miou-Miou. Though packaged as a Nobody sequel (an alternate title is Nobody's the Greatest) Genius has no connection to Tonino Valeri's movie. Like the earlier film, it's full of nods to classic American Westerns and Leone's own work. But there's even more emphasis on Hill's slapstick and athletic prowess, more closely recalling his Trinity films. At first it's fun watching Joe outwit opponents with card tricks and climbing skills, but eventually it gets old.

Directed by Damiano Damiani, best-known for the politically charged Bullet for the General, Genius has several inspired scenes. Leone himself directed the opening, a darkly humorous riff on Once Upon a Time in the West's family massacre. Another highlight has Joe stage a phony duel with a glowering Klaus Kinski, complete with self-firing Colt! Damiani helms elaborate action scenes, including a chase where one character recreates Yakima Canutt's legendary Stagecoach stunt. The gorgeous Monument Valley scenery ensures a pleasant-looking film, with Ennio Morricone providing a boisterous comedy score.

Genius provides plenty of laughs but ultimately bogs down in plot. The gang's elaborate con plays like a second-rate The Sting, a convoluted series of double-crosses with a lame payoff. Bill and Lucy prove annoying sidekicks, while the villains are silly featherweights. Marxist as he is, Damiani insists on inserting political commentary ("We're not ordinary people - we're Americans!") that feels singularly inappropriate. The movie ends with a literal bang but still feels empty, with a cheesy moral out of an after-school special.

Terence Hill provides his usual amiability: few stars are so effortlessly likeable. Co-stars Robert Charlebois and Miou-Miou don't fare so well: Charlebois's grumpy griping gets old fast, while Miou-Miou's sunk by a hideous dubbing job. Patrick McGoohan seems as surprised as viewers that he's slumming in a Spaghetti Western. Pietro Vida plays a shifty go-between, playing Cabot and Joe against each other. Klaus Kinski gets a show-stealing cameo before an ignoble exit.

A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe won't be high on too many Spaghetti fans' lists. It's amusing but disposable, a fairly routine parody Western. 6/10

http://nothingiswrittenfilm.blogspot.com/2013/02/a-genius-two-partners-and-dupe.html

Saturday nights with Groggy
stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2013, 02:32:21 AM »

Damiani'd directing is not bad, but he has no sense for comedy. Unfunny and boring. 3/10

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM