Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 07:40:20 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  Sergio Leone News (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Everything Concerning: DVDs, Posters, and Other (S)W Merchandise
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Everything Concerning: DVDs, Posters, and Other (S)W Merchandise  (Read 144784 times)
mortimer
Bandido

"You're not digging"

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2004, 10:04:46 AM »

I have seen them all but when it came to buying I opted only for A Bullet for the General and Companeros. I may add Keoma later but I actually liked Mannaja a man called Blade alot more as far as the mid 70s spags go. Texas addios and 4 for the appocalypse were forgettable.

"Now you understand why we need the firecracker?"
leonefan
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2004, 04:48:23 AM »

Is KEOMA the sequel to Django, because I read at imdb that Keoma is also known as Django Rides Again.  Should I watch Django before watching Keoma or it doesn't matter?  

spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2004, 06:43:05 AM »

No, the only relation they have is that Franco Nero stars in both. Django was such a success that the name was attached to anything and everything. If you get the Blue Underground DVD of "Run Man Run" (better than Django and Keoma imo), there's an interesting extra feature on spaghetti westerns that goes into that.

Hippieoddball1
Bandido

Life is funnier than shit.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2004, 08:35:46 AM »

I think it's funny all this talk about spaghetti's. I've got Run Man Run and i think it's appaling, just proper boring, and there's no great scenes for me at all in it. But i have got DJANGO THE BASTARD aka (THE STRANGERS GUNDOWN). Which out of all the non leone spaghetti's is the best by far that i have seen. Just a typical story line of a man on a revenge trip killing the people that betrayed him. But you don't know whether he is dead or not, a forunner for High Plains Drifter, but not  as good, obviously. I also didn't like Django or Great silence that much either. Spaghetti's in general are poor imo. But Death Rides a horse was good i thought, but it did tail off towards the end.
I would like to see Keoma and Mannaja though because i think they could give me a different angle from Spaghetti's and i've heard alot of good things, but then again alot of people like Django, when i think it's complete dogshit, but interesting to hear peoples opinion. Funny though.

The reason you became a priest is because you were too much of a coward to do what i do.
leonefan
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2004, 10:34:04 AM »

I read somewhere that Run Man Run is a sequel to the Big Gundown (which I haven't seen yet).  I dont' know whether you have seen TBG or not, but maybe that's why it didn't make much to you.

spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2004, 11:01:22 AM »

I didn't say "Run Man Run" was great. I just thought it was better than Django or Keoma + it has the Italian Western documentary bonus (Blue Underground DVD). Django was just okay, but Keoma was pretty bad imo.

My fave non-Leone Spag. so far is "A Bullet For The General". If you don't care for that one, you may need to stay away from the genre or just stick with Leone.

I personally like the cheese that comes with most spaghetti westerns. I don't take them seriously in any way. To me, it's the old "so bad it's good" kind of thing.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 11:03:34 AM by spag fan » Logged
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2004, 01:36:03 PM »

Keoma would be a brilliant film - one of the 2 or 3 best non-Leones - if it wasn't for that awful music being trotted out at all the most atmospheric or poignant moments. Another thing is that sometimes the direction, while stylish, is a bit over the top as well. I mean, does every single death in the film have to be in slow motion? These two things just turned a brilliant film into a good one.

Ironically the film was originally edited to the music of bob dylan and leonard cohen, and director Castellari told the de Angelis brothers to write something in that style! They didn't quite get there did they?

It's class.
grandpa_chum
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2004, 03:23:39 PM »

i will admit that at some moments the music is just plain horrid, but at other times, i hate to admit it but, I love the music, i mean its no morricone but it works well at some points... i also think it adds to the detached style of the whole thing... i mean the movie is just so wierd and different and so is the music, thats one of the things i like about it... and the stylized slow motion is done pretty damn well imo. anyway considering that they had no script at all, and improvised the whole damn movie scene to scene with a basic story i consider the mediocre music to only be a minor distraction to a great film imo... the way castellari mixes the past with the present in this film is amazing, i'm sure it had been done before and probably better but it's my favorite part of the movie... i highly suggest at least giving keoma a shot if your a leone fan.

after seeing django i had my doubts about franco nero but after seeing companeros and keoma i must say he's one of the best spag western stars out there.

Harmonica: So, you're not a businessman after all.
Frank: Just a man.
Harmonica: An ancient race...
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2004, 04:29:12 PM »

You Guys got to get the restoration project of "The Big Gundown"

Then we can talk of non-Leone Spaghetti's.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
leonefan
Chicken Thief

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2004, 05:12:51 PM »

Do you have more information about getting the Big Gundown restored?  Is this the correct person to contact?

http://www.strangeher.net/tomas/biggun1.html

BTW if you've ordered it how much was it?  Thx.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2004, 07:01:10 PM »

$20 US, for the Big Gundown restoration project email FrancoCleef for more info:

kingriek@shaw.ca

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The 4th Gunfighter
Road Apple

When I'm paid, I always follow my job through

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2004, 11:12:45 AM »

I just recently got this box set, so let me throw in my thoughts:

BULLET FOR THE GENERAL - Easily the best of the five. Volante is excellent, and the story, even though you can figure the outcome by the movie's title, is great. Kinski is his usual great self in a minor role, but to Volante and his acting from high-strung to quite/contemplative, especially near the end, makes this must-see. In my case, I will need to see it again to pick up more clues, and appreciate the subtelties of Volante's performance. And don't forget the movies' tagline: "When the bullet turns red...the general will be dead!"

COMPANEROS - Second best of the five. Another story set in the Mexican revolution. Franco Nero & Tomas Milian carry this movie with their performances, as a Swedish arms dealer & a revolutionary forced to go rescue the opposition's leader to open a safe, even though it is Morricone's excellent title song that is the highlight of the film. Similarly political as Bullet For The General, but you get both sides of the revolution and is much more fun, plus Jack Palance is over-the-top hilarious. EXTRAS: contains interview segment w/ Nero, Milian & Morricone.

FOUR OF THE APOCALYPSE - Uggh. Not my cup of tea, but the bad plot coupled with bad characterizations didn't help. Four unrelated characters forced to band together to make a journey, but it all goes wrong when they meet a bandit that joins them (Tomas Milian in another great performance). Tries to be psychological, but resorts to cheap horror/gross-out scenes to carry it, which at times seem forced. The main character (Fabio Testi) was not handled properly, the ex-slave is a carciature/parody, and the drunk is just "there". The only person who shows growth is the girl (the lovely Lynne Frederick), and of course they take the cop-out ending with her character. The ending also seems unrealistic, talk about pure luck! And let's not forget the music: since this came out in the 70's, has folkish type songs "narrating" the plot (similar to Keoma), which just truly grate on your nerves. Probably the worst of the five, and not a movie you would see again unless you are a fan of the type. EXTRAS: contains interview segment w/ Testi & Milian.

KEOMA - One of those "love it" or "hate it" movies. I did not like it, but I probably will have to watch it again anyways. Nero's character is not fully/well-developed, and at times can be hypocritical & preachy (witness him chastising the citizens for being cowards when their loved ones are threatened, and then he himself surrenders when his father is threatened!). Fraught with symbolism, which as others have said helps this film, and is one of the positives that would make you want to view it again. Two negatives: the "slow-mo" action shots after EVERY gunshot gets old quickly, and becomes laughable as the movie goes on, and of course the music, which others have described as close to unbearable. Strode is under-utilized in this film. Howevery, the heavy symbolism, plus the dark, moody atmosphere help this film tremendously, which is probably what makes it unique.  Third best of the five. EXTRAS: Interview segment with Nero, and also audio commentary option with director Enzo G. Castellari & journalist Waylon Wahl.

TEXAS ADIOS - Perfectly acceptable movie, but looks like more like an American western than a Spaghetti. And that's the only thing I can say: nothing really unique about this movie, everything is fine but not extraordinary, and while the locations are certainly beautiful, the acting and story is strictly standard. Nero is also dubbed here, making it even more like a non-Spaghetti. I was actually surprised that it was included in this set. There's really nothing bad to say about this movie (except for the straight-forward plot and at times campy acting), but there's really nothing that makes it stand out. Fourth best of the five. EXTRAS: Interview segment with Franco Nero.

Comes in a nice cardboard slipcase & holder, and the five movies each have their own individual (thin) plastic slipcase, but not detailed covers. All Five Movies contain Trailers, Scene Access, and Biographies of the main stars, and the extras (interviews) are well-produced and well-done. I got mine cheaply on ebay ($30!!), but can be found on DeepDiscountDVD.com for $54.00. I would definitely love to see a 2nd Volume, or even more!!

It's a hell of a thing, killin' a man. You take away all he's got an' all he's ever gonna have
Yeah. Well, I guess they had it comin'
We all have it coming, Kid.
Film-Junkie Zach
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2004, 11:24:48 PM »

I got that boxset for my b-day when I turned 19 last may.

Keoma is a good Film

I really liked Companeros and A Bullet For The General

Four Of The Apocalypse was okay. I Like Zombie and The Beyond better than Apocalypse.

Texas,Adios is pretty good.

redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2005, 05:15:21 AM »

No real connection between them except I'm watching both on ebay at the moment. They're going for quite a bit so I was wondering if anyone had seen either could let me know if they're worth getting. Thanks.

Minnesota Clay is early Corbucci (pre-Django), so probably pretty terrible but still might be quite interesting.

Five Man Army sounds pretty good - script by Dario Argento, Morricone score.

Thanks.

It's class.
Marco Leone
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2005, 03:50:39 PM »

It depends on what you class as quite a bit.  I got hold of a "copy" of Minnesota Clay recently for a fairly good price (about 5 if I remember correctly).

Last time I saw Five Man Army on ebay it was going for about 15, for an original copy.

I haven't seen either yet (although should view MC in the next few days) so probably not the most appropriate person to comment.  Personally, I'd pay up to 10 for either, on reputation alone.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/spaghettiwesterns My Euro Western Website - (includes Reviews, Actor information and Spaghetti Western Generator)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM