Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 11:38:22 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Corri uomo corri aka Run, Man, Run (1968)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Corri uomo corri aka Run, Man, Run (1968)  (Read 21070 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 06:53:40 AM »

I watched this again this last weekend and I have to say that I've now changed my assesment of this film and think its one of Milian's best, if not the best.

Before I was watching in the contrast between Run Man Run and other Milian films where he isn't the only main star particularly TBG. So in retrospect I was always comparing him to what came previously.

This past viewing made me realise that Milian's name is above the title and this is his main SW starring role, his vehicle. He is repising the Cuchillo character but the emphasis on the movie is him and knife throwing abilities, his athletic abilities, his irresistability to women, and his cunning knack for getting into and out of trouble. Cassidy is no Van Cleef but a lesser version of a similar character that doesnot over shadow Milian, and he does have some good tounge in cheek lines that do repeat in the film, that I won't reveal. Chelo Alonzo is great as Cuhillo's girlfriend and she actually is one of the main characters in the adventure she and linda Veras get into a pretty humorous girlfight with petticoats flying garters exposed as they roll about, over Cuchillo, who doesn't do much at all to stop them.  Grin

It was a very entertaining flick, on this second viewing, Sollima basically made his GBU, and it has a good Bruno Nicoli ( actually a Morricone) score that again like GBU & OUTITW has different themes for different characters, Miliam's theme, Cassidy's theme, The Poet's Theme, Dolores' theme, Miss Pennybackers theme, etc., etc.

The chase in the snow is a beautiful SW set piece and Sollima is understandably proud of it, I've basically have re-evaluated this upwards The title sequence is great and Milian's singing the title song is what you'd expect to hear from an untrained lowly peon.

An you have to watch is in the frame of mind as Milian's Opus SW.

The extras are well worth the DVD price.
Get it if you don't have it.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 04:14:29 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 07:34:28 AM »

I agree with you completely Joe. Its a great Spaghetti and I very much enjoyed it when I watched it. I must admit, I am a sucker for snow on celluloid  Grin

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 05:39:50 PM »

Joe, I'm tempted to chalk this up to your zeal for the Zapatas 

It's actually a bit light on the Zapata front compared to some of the others, lol, no machine guns, no trains blowing up, if you thought this was lecturing, you may not like the rest of the Zapatas.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2005, 06:56:33 AM »

I have agree with Cigar Joe and Leone_Admirer.I don't see it as a pale imitation of Big Gundown as often suggested,far from it, and this could very easily be amongst my top 10 SW's.The DVD is fantastic and packed full of goodies!

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 05:52:11 PM »

Grin

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 10:40:18 PM »

I found a Chelo Alonzo site  Shocked

Enjoy,  Grin

http://www.cultsirens.com/alonso/alonso.htm

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 02:59:31 PM »

Just watched my Blue Underground DVD of Run, Man, Run! What a great SW! I loved it! The character development was fantastic and there were just as many sub-plots as you would find in a Leone film. Plus the DVD gives you a half-hour documentary made in 1968 about the Spaghetti Western craze. It's narrated by Frank Wolff, has interviews from Enzo Castellari, Sergio Corbucci, and Sergio Sollima, and has behind the scenes footage of Run, Man, Run and The Great Silence.

This DVD is a must-own for any Spaghetti Western fan!

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2006, 05:19:24 PM »

WHOA!!! What happened?!? This was suppose to be a new topic and for some reason it was put under a different thread! That was freaky.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2006, 05:59:02 PM »

Probably our moderators doing their job,  Wink

Anyway glad you liked it. I've upped my estimation of the flick also and now think its Milian's best SW.

Poggle
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2006, 09:13:27 PM »

I haven't seen the movie, but I have a question. On the trailer there's a scene with Cuchillo tied by his hands and he's saying something like "Uno, dos, uno dos!"

That's all I could understand. What is he saying?

Craig
Road Apple

People scare better when they're dying.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2006, 10:24:28 PM »

I think this my absolute favorite non-Leone SW (yes, I like it more than THe Great Silence). And, IMO Run Man Run blows the The Big Gundown out of the water. There is no comparison. I love Lee Van Cleef, but I think Run Man Run Is a far superior flick in that is spotlights the character of Cuchio who is far more interesting then the lawmen that are after him.

To me the movie just feels like it's on the same level as Leone's movies,. It's a feeling I haven't gotten (and at this point, probably won't) from any of the other spaghettis that I've seen.

I really, really enjoy this movie. The musical score is top  notch (as always w/ Morricone) and it's one of my favorite SW intros, with the revolutionary images of the painting being shown and Tomas Milan(?) speaking/singing the main tune.

Great stuff.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 10:26:15 PM by Craig » Logged

Did you bring a horse for me? Well... looks like we're...*snickers*..looks like we're shy one horse. You brought two too many.
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 12:07:55 AM »

I really enjoyed this as well but saw RMR before I saw TBG and I don't think it matters which one you see first as the tone is drastically different between the two films. I also enjoyed Donald O'brien's character in this one and felt he could have held his own with heavyweights like Van Cleef and Gemma if given more opportunities. I have the Soundtrack to RMR and oddly the title track is sung by a different singer.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 04:20:59 AM »

Leone Admirer's review from his SW Virgins Guide:-

Run Man Run!

I really, really enjoyed this last night. The film has everything going for it, great story, great actors, great direction and a great score by Morricone and it all adds up to a very entertaining experience.
     Milian is Cuchillo, a peasent knife thrower who finds himself in jail. His cell mate turns out to be an important member of a Mexican revolutionary group, and he offers Cuchillo $100 dollars to get him free. Curchillo breaks them both out of jail and takes the 'poet' to his destination. On arrival the poet is killed by a bandit group and he commands Cuchillo to go to Texas with a newspaper he gives him to bring back $3 million worth of gold back for the revolutioanry fund. Cuchillo finds himself being chased by American Agents, his hot blooded fiance (The fiery Chelo Alonso) and a sheriff turned bounty hunter (Donal O'Brien.)
    The film does contain politcial overtones, which you would expect in an Italian film dealing with a revolution. But, the message isn't forced upon the audience every second of the film and this helps to create a very enjoyable atmosphere. This is a 'journey' film with Cuchillo meeting lots of wierd, wonderful and nasty people and the entire presentation of the film, from the direction, characterisation and score help to represent this.
      The acting in this film is of a very high quality. Milian is as great as always and his character, who is almost always very likeable and quite honorable is always welcomed on screen. The fiery Alonso is more of a comic character, with her scenes of chasing down her man, not really helping, but also not really harming, the story. O'Brien plays the gringo bounty hunter very well, bringing over his gruff demanor but also a sense of personal honor that does seem to be out of place in this harsh world.
      Direction in this film by Sergio Sollima was excellent, the pace was fast and furious, the action is expertly handled and the humor is done just right, with its pitch black tones so well found in rthe spaghetti western genre.  The sequences in the snow were absolutely beautifully shot and the cinematography of this film is of a very high standard.
      The music was also excellent. Its an interesting story that because of contract obligations from another movie, Morricone scored this film but had to put the name of the conductor, Bruno Nicolai as the composer. The score is very rich, with many motifs that are found in Morricone's work and the different themes for all the character stay with you for a long time.
    Blue Underground describe the transfer used in this DVD release as being "Fully restored from the original vault materials and is now presented uncut and uncensored for the first time in America." The visual quality of the transfer is of a high standard. It's not flawless, there are some splices, debris and detritus but it certainly looks miles better then the scope films of the Wild East DVD's. The English mono soundtrack sound excellent, bringing out the dialogue and the fantastic soundtrack really well. Also included is the original Italian mono track.
    Blue Underground has also included a 17 minute featurette entitled Run Man Run: 35 Years Running which contains interviews with the Director, Sergio Sollima and the star Tomas Milian. This is a very interesting featurette, with both imparting little known facts about the production as well as describing working with each other. Also included is the rarely-seen (and in my opinion for a good reason) 60's documentary about the spaghetti western phenomenon called Westerns Italian Style. This documentary doesn't impart any infomation that we don't already know and its staged sequences are quite embarrasing (as well as the sound track from the band John & Wayne.) However it does contain interviews with directors Castellari, Corbucci and Sollima as well as some behind the scenes footage from the Great Silence and Run Man Run as well as the best bit which is an all too brief behind the scens footage of the making of the rail road outside the McBain ranch in Once Upon A Time In The West.
     Also included is a very good trailer, a good poster and stills gallery as well as some Talent Bios and the Italian Main Title sequence, which differs a bit from the English language version.
     I had been really looking forward to this film ever since I saw the trailer and it did not dissapoint at all. It's a testiment to how good it was because I stared watching it at 2am and it finished at about 4am and it kept me riverted through out. I really recomend this to all spaghetti fans, new and old. It really is a great spaghetti.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 02:44:51 PM by Leone Admirer » Logged
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 12:46:15 PM »

RUN, MAN, RUN- 1968

Tomas Milian, Donald O'brien, Linda Veras, Chelo Alonso, John Ireland

-Very funny and fun western from Sergio Sollima. A sequel to his own BIG GUNDOWN continuing the adventures of Cuchillo (Milian) as he becomes involved in the whereabouts of some hidden gold that is coveted by everyone from Bandit gangs to retired lawmen to Salvation Army workers.

This highly enjoyable oater is enhanced by a dynamite performance from DR. BUTCHER himself, Donald O’Brien who seldom got meaty roles such as this. O'brien also gets decent roles in EMMANUELLE & THE LAST CANNIBALS, 2020 TEXAS GLADIATORS and THE NEW GLADIATORS from Fulci.

John Ireland has what amounts to a cameo as a bandit leader. The music by Morricone is very spirited and playful. Peplum actress Alonso plays the feisty female who wants, in a rather forceful way, to be Cuchillo's wife. She could chase me anytime. Linda Veras is another strong female character who vies for Cuchillo's affections but for different reasons.

At nearly two hours, the film bogs down a bit towards the end, but a minor quibble nonetheless. It’s a shame Sollima only directed three spaghetti westerns.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 04:47:13 PM »

I love Run Man Run which rivals GBU and The Mercenary for its epicness.

Donal O'Brien was fine as Cassidy but had it had been LVC then this movie would've got a 10 out of 10 rating from me. Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM