Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 02:14:09 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Corri uomo corri aka Run, Man, Run (1968)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Corri uomo corri aka Run, Man, Run (1968)  (Read 21583 times)
rddesq
Road Apple

One name is as good as another.

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2004, 02:51:38 PM »

I ordered the Spaghetti Western box set from Blue Underground.  It contains Django, Django Kill!, Run Man Run and Mannaja. I ordered it because the first 3 movies are all listed in the Top 20 Non-Leone Spaghetti Westerns in the order listed.   I have not watched Mannajs yet however, while I enjoyed the first three I felt Run Man Run (RMR) was far far superior than Django and Django Kill! which are ranked above it.  RMR is much more like a Sergio Leone western in cinamatography and plot/story.  Django and Django Kill! seem almost like parodies and the production value is lacking.  RMR is very good, with great wide shots, great production value and very good and complex, multi-layered and above all coherent plot and I think it is much better than its ranking.   The lead actor Tomas Milian who is also the lead in Django Kill! is a bit of a goof but he is crazy like a fox.   The DVD's are all high quality too.  

When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 06:05:33 PM »

rddesq,

Thanks for the critique, I'm thinking of buying this set also for Django and Run Man Run, I saw the Big Gundown and heard that RMR was similar though without Lee Van Cleef.

It sounds like your tastes are like mine, I love Leone but wish to sample the best of the other Spag Directors, get a little bit too much off the Reservation and it puts me off. I can watch off the wall stuff in the old Wild Wild West TV show if I want stuff stretching reality, lol.

Let me know what you think of Mannaja.

I've got the Pocket Essentials Spaghetti Westerns, they list abot 31 worthy films, with ratings, so I may sample some of their recommendations. "A Bullet for the General", "Face to Face", "Compeneros", "The Great Silence", all got 4/5's.

Have you seen any others that you feel are Leone like.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 06:06:27 PM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
redyred
Gunslinger

Ever the facetious one

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 07:20:21 AM »

Just watched a trailer for run man run on www.blue-underground.com - It does look really good, as does Mannaja which I'm hopefully getting my hands on a copy of soon.

It's class.
rddesq
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 01:20:16 PM »

I just finished watching Mannaja.  It is really good.  Very polished, rich and stylized.  It uses slow motion a la Peckinpah.  Good story and again much much better than Django and Django Kill!  Mannaja is not in the list of the top 20 non-Leone Spaghetti Westerns that I got off another Web site but it should be.  Having read so much about Django and Django Kill! I expcected them to be much better but I think Mannaja and Run Man Run are superior in every way.  I would recommned Mannaja and will watch it again before I watch Run Man Run although I will watch it again too. The production quality of  Django and Django Kill! are very poor compared to the richness of Mannaja.  I think I actually liked it better than Run Man Run.  I plan to order more of the top 20.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 08:49:21 PM »

thanks rddesq

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 05:20:04 PM »

Ok got this DVD the other day and what I have to say right from the git go is if you haven't seen The Big Gundown, you're kind of getting the sequil first and won't really appreaciate it as much as if you've seen it the other way around. The whole Cuchillo character originates in The Big Gundown, and his mannerisims and personality are first introduced here. In the first film Cuchillo (tomas Milian) is accused of rape and murder and Lee Van Cleef is after him.

Run Man Run Though entertaining, is a notch below the first film. It has Cuchillo mixed up with lost Juarez gold, and a chase to get to it first, in the process he runs into various interested parties, and has to deal also with is girlfriend (Chelo Alonso, a dark beauty) who is also hot on his trail. Donal O'Brien unfortunately is no Van Cleef, but it would not have made sense to have him in this film anyway.

Cuchillo encounters a good looking Salvation Army blond (Linda Veras) who takes a fancy to him which is the basis for a later hot cat fight between Alonso and Veras.

Milian, was actually Sergio Sollima's main character much like Eastwood was for Leone, and in an extra interview on this DVD he states that his intention was to make the "peon" the hero.

Also included on this DVD is Western's Italian Style narrated by Frank Wolff, it has footage of the making of "The Great Silence" (shaving cream was used for the snow), and "Run Man Run" it aslo has interviews with Serio Sollima, Sergio Corbucci, and Enzo G. Castellari. great stuff.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 03:44:17 AM »

ive heard that Run Man Run is pretty much a poor remake of The Big Gundown, which by the way I jhavent seen. Is that true, CJ?

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 05:32:56 AM »

Not so much a remake but the sequil, its as if Leone were to have made the further adventures of Tuco Ramierez, it could not possibly top GBU but if you sympathize with the Tuco character you'd want to know about his further adventures.

Its essential to see TBG first though.

DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 06:18:54 AM »

cheers, cj, ive just never understood why The Big Gundown and Face to Face are so hard 2 get hold of when u can get Run Man Run on English DVD no probs.  Undecided

Dave Jenkins, Calder Benson, Jim Cooper, Chuck Youngblood. They were all alive until they met you, Frank.
DJIMBO
Gunslinger

Who are you?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 06:26:06 AM »

actually ive just found out you can order Face to Face from Japan and it has an English language option, so its just The Big Gundown which is mysteriously absent from English DVD release.

Im contemplating order RMR and FTF, anyone whose seen the films recommend i dont?

spag fan
Bandido

It don't matter what I say, I'll dub it later.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 06:48:34 AM »

I haven't seen The Big Gundown, but thought Run Man Run was a fun flick. The Italian Western documentary was cool too. I'd say get 'em.

rddesq
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 10:54:50 AM »

I have seen both and the big gundown is better but run man run is good as well.  As for the unavailabilty of the big gun down, fret no more.  It is available and I recently ordered it and got it.   You simply need to send an e-mail to following:  kingriek@shaw.ca   It's in english too.  It cost me $20 and I got it in about a week.   It's on DVD and it is very well done.  I recommend it.  He also has a long list of other Spag. Westerns for sale.

Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 02:55:35 PM »

The Big Gundown is on Westerns Channel a lot this month.

More feeling.
Christopher
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 11:01:19 AM »

I watched Run, Man, Run last night. I haven't seen The Big Gundown, but I'd like to. Especially after seeing Run Man Run. I really liked the character of Cuchillo. He's not the type of character who you'd usually picture as the main character in a SW, which is the point the director makes on the documentary.

I thought it was interesting that they put this movie with Mannaja, considering both films seem to have such a different feel to them. Run Man Run is much lighter and funny.

I had a question about the bounty hunter, Cassidy. I wasn't sure what his reasons were for wanting the gold. Well, I could guess why he'd want gold, of course, but if they get the gold back to the Mexicans to aid the cause Cuchillo was going after in the first place, Cassidy wouldn't be able to keep any of the gold. And he made it clear earlier in the film that he wasn't interested in helping the Mexican cause. So that question just stood out in my mind. Huh

(BTW, I merged this topic with an earlier one I found about RMR)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 11:27:25 AM by Christopher » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 04:06:16 PM »

I don't want to give away any spoilers but its not exactly,
(the "tough but not so bright gringo Cuchillo keeps outwitting".)
You'll see what I mean.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM