Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 04:43:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Scalphunters (1968)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Scalphunters (1968)  (Read 6147 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2006, 04:36:58 PM »

Ok the first wave of Leone Westerns washed over America and Hollywood came out with this Western that was on TV the other day at the tag end of the TCM tribute to Shelly Winters.

Dri , Sidney Pollack, Burt Lancaster, Telly Savalas, Ossie Davis, Shelly Winters, Dabney Coleman, Dan Vadis.

Trapper Joe Bass (Lancaster) has his furs stolen by Natives who trade him Joseph Lee (Davis) a slave that they stole from another Indian tribe. Bass & Lee chase after the Natives knowing that Bass's stock of whiskey will incapacitate the Natives and enable to them to take back the furs. About the time they are to carry out their plan a band of scalphunters lead by Jim Howie (Savalas) decend upon the drunk Natives and scalp almost all of them and taking Bass's furs. So begins the bulk of the films conflict between Bass & Savalas. The scalphunters travel in a caravan with their woman and the ongoing comedy battle of the sexes between Savalas and Kate (Shelly Winters) provides a good deal of comic relief.

Not very graphic in the brutality of the scalping by todays standards, the slavery issue is well handled and not too praechy and all in all more of a western played on the light side.

Most of the story takes place on the trail no town sets at all but lots of wagon camp scenes. Its a pedesrtian effort but entertaining.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 05:07:39 PM »

The Scalphunters is one of my favorite American Westerns. From Burt Lancaster's anti-hero gunfighter to the Spanish looking scenery, the Italian influence on the film is pretty obvious. Plus the movie makes a pretty strong anti-racial statement without falling victim to historical inaccuracy.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 05:43:52 PM »

I saw this at the theatre, in 1968. I remember quite well in what theatre and with whom (my cousins). Wonder why. I saw again the movie on tv in the '70's and '80's. Remember Savalas never dressed and emerging from a earth mound in the last scene, the funny duets between Lancaster and Davis, with the first teaching how to survive by natural resources. Very brilliant at the start  wasn't too convinced by how it developed. But maybe don't remember well.   One of the western I would like to see again.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 06:34:35 AM »

Scalphunters is showing on Channel 5 in the UK on Sunday 20th August at 3.25pm.Thomas Weisser includes this movie in his list of American/Euro westerns heavily influenced by sw's so i'll be eagerly setting the video timer Smiley

Tim
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 10:35:16 AM »

This was just part of Burt Lancaster Day on TCM last week.  Had seen it before but watched it again, and enjoyed it as much as ever.  Those top four in the cast are hard to beat, Lancaster, Savalas, Shelley Winters, and Ossie Davis. 

The dialogue and fights between Lancaster and Davis are great, especially that last knock-down fight at the climax.

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 05:44:58 PM »

I was just going to start a thread about "The Scalphunters" but came across this thankfully. I think I'm going to pick it up this weekend. I've been reading good things about it.

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 04:55:28 PM »

TS is, I think, as close as a (good) American Western can come to a Spaghetti one. 40 years later it isn't so fresh as it was when released, but the good vibe between the characters and the all in all sane humor makes it worth watching. The best approach is not take it too seriously, because it doesn't work properly that way. I first saw it some 10 years ago and was a bit disappointed, I was expecting something completely different... But now I can sit through it for that hour and a half without problem.

6.5 - 7 / 10

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 09:07:53 AM »

TS is, I think, as close as a (good) American Western can come to a Spaghetti one.

Still below "The Professionals" and "100 rifles", but pretty good in my opinion.

Dust Devil
Bounty Killer

Smoke Tuco, so you can't bullshit!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 09:52:54 AM »

Still below "The Professionals" and "100 rifles", but pretty good in my opinion.

TP is better, I agree, but 100R is crap.

No matter how cleverly you sneak up on a mirror, the reflection always looks you straight in the eye.
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:02:47 PM »

One thing I have always liked from The Scalphunters (other than the acting, the plot, etc) is Elmer Bernstein's excellent soundtrack.  It is amongst my favourites non-SW soundtracks, together with Major Dundee, The Magnificent Seven and The Professionals. Afro

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 09:27:35 PM »

my favourites non-SW soundtracks, together with Major Dundee,

Huh

Saturday nights with Groggy
O'Cangaceiro
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 09:37:03 PM »

Huh

Yep, I always liked Major Dundee's march, and I still do. Sorry.  WinkEvil

Pages: [1] Go Up Print