Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 03:36:34 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Matalo!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Matalo!  (Read 9466 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2006, 02:17:47 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068024/

I didn't plan to watch it today, but I was hooked by the first scene, that of the hanging, with the hendrixian score and  the floating camera. Unfortunately the rest of the movies is not up to this memorable scene. The plot is really basic and doesn't go nowhere. But Claudia Gravy is the sexiest girl in SW I've seen so far, bar none. 

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 02:25:36 AM »

Could somebody tell me if this is going to be released by Wild East? I believe it was Sundance who told me this.

I am asking because I might just want to buy it now from Craig Ledbetter for 15 dollars but if wild east has a release for it soon I will wait.

Sundance can you help me out on this one?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 07:14:50 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 07:15:48 AM »

And could somebody tell me anything about this movie? Roll Eyes

Sundance
Gunslinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 12:55:33 PM »

Well... uh... I don't know. Tongue It was mentioned at SWWB along with Taste of Killing to be the next ones from Wild East and atleast Taste of Killing became true (although haven't been released yet) so I'd guess Matalo! will be as well. I think atleast two people from Wild East read and write at SWWB and they have neither denied nor confirmed the release.

I also remember someone at DVDManiacs forums saying that it will be released.

Btw, Koch Media was supposed to release this at some point but have been said to have abandoned the project because the rights owners couldn't provide good enough print of the movie.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 09:46:12 AM »

Heres my take on Matalo.
This has got to be the most bizarre sw i've seen outside of Django Kill ,watched it this afternoon and i'm struggling what to make of it
The film starts of promising enough with a crazy outlaw called Bart who is about to be hung but is rescued by a mob,they run out of town only for Bart to gun down down his rescuers when they reach safety.He meets up with his two equally sadistic accomplices Bill and Ted(yes,really unless my ears need scringing ) and together with his girlfriend they go on to rob a stagecoach for gold,kill the passengers,but Bart is double crossed,shot in the back and left for dead.
    Now this is where it gets weird,Bill,Ted and girlfriend hide out in a ghost town called Benson which is "ruled" by one strange old woman called Mrs Benson.All sorts of bizarre stuff kicks off to the accompaniment of spaced out psychedelic music  and alien-like sound effects,with everything visually going haywire with the camera spinning and panning everywhere to disorientating effect and much of it in slow motion -and this carries on for the rest of the film.The crooks fall out,the gold is hidden,and a drifter(played by Lou Castel armed with boomerangs) stumbles thirstily into town only to be tortured to excessive proportions.Weider still is the constant apparation of a spooky singular eye and rifle wreaking havoc with the bad guys.This movie has a definate horror feel to it but is definately of its time with all the drug induced audio and visuals-oh yes there is a twist at the end but this is rather predictable.
Maybe the director Cesare Canavari should be commended for pulling something different from out of the bag for his only sw but i still recommend one should treat this one with caution.I'm in no hurry for a 2nd viewing!

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 09:36:07 PM »

I was expecting it to be okay but it pleasently surprised me.
Great little gem!
Nothing beats the opening town massacre except maybe the climax with Boomerangs but what's inbetween is still worth watching for the trippy score and camera work.

Ironically the most unlikable character was the film's hero, Castel. He has total disregard for the old lady who has been trying to defend him throughout the last half of the film while he's being tortured. When she's shot down at the very end he doesn't lift a finger, he just sits and watches with disinterest and at one point he even uses her as a shield against an incoming metal whip 

The folks who compare this to the awful "Django Kill" are dead wrong. This film has class and is far more watchable.

I bought the Wild East dvd which has a text, before the opening of the film, saying...

dedicated to Tom Betts

I had a chuckle because it's well known that Betts HATES this film.
If you stop by the spaghetti western web board you can talk to him personally.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 09:37:42 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Sonny
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 11:52:13 PM »

An acid western with a slight touch of mystery.  All the characters appearing in  the film are insane except for the main actor... I finished watching it today and i must say, i've never seen any western like it. 

If i had to rate it, it would be somewhere between a 3/5 and 4/5...overall goooood! Afro

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 11:54:43 PM »

I might have to obtain this one via the internet (in a completely... legal... fashion).  It really does look pretty damn cool.

Sonny
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 11:59:56 PM »

I might have to obtain this one via the internet (in a completely... legal... fashion). 

It really does look pretty damn cool.

got that right... Cool

and as for your "legal" downloads....

knock on wood, my friend, knock on wooooood...

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 12:56:24 PM »

I haven't seen this movie but the soundtrack with that kick ass opening guitar rif makes me want to see it.

Sonny
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 05:23:07 PM »

I haven't seen this movie but the soundtrack with that kick ass opening guitar rif makes me want to see it.

yeah that kinda reeled me in as well. 

And did you get to see the attire the characters were wearing?  like from the 60s, very hippiesque...(new word of the day)

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 05:25:04 PM »

And did you get to see the attire the characters were wearing?  like from the 60s, very hippiesque...(new word of the day)

Yeah, it does seem like a very trippy western.

And to anyone who has no idea what the hell we're talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrRLrJb01T8

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 09:35:29 PM »

Here's my brief review from the List Your SW's thread...

Very bizarre but intriguing Spaghetti.  It's very "psychedelic"  and relies more on visually interesting scenes than dialogue.  In fact, I'd say that the dialogue (and pretty much plot) of the film are next to non-existant.  All that this movie wants to do is take your eyes and ears on a trip unlike any you've seen in the Western genre, and it does it very well.  The music is excellent (would've thought to put psychedelic rock music in a western?  Obviously the same guys who made a psychedelic western...).  You also get your fair share of the expected spaghetti over-the-top idiosyncracies.  Imaginative and sadistic tortures.... weird weapons (who would've thought of a boomerang!?) and a whole lotta atmosphere.  The almost subliminal flashing of the red-tinged eye close-up was really cool at first in that scene, but eventually it just got a little annoying.  Highly recommended for style, but there's a complete absence of substance.

Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 10:09:28 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068024/

But Claudia Gravy is the sexiest girl in SW I've seen so far, bar none. 

Claudia Cardinale? Even sexier than her? Shocked

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Tucumcari Bound
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 10:11:41 PM »

Who owns this film?! I'd love a copy.

"This train'll stop at Tucumbari."
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM