Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 06:32:50 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Duck, You Sucker (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  US DVD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: US DVD  (Read 2685 times)
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2006, 03:06:57 PM »

Does anyone know what's going on with this stupid Sony-MGM merger? Because of them we have to wait even longer for a good DVD release of Duck You Sucker. Does anybody know what thier plans or intentions are for a DYS DVD?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 07:00:12 PM »

I guessing but maybe a HD DVD release.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 10:16:11 PM »

At this point, I'd be happy to get this movie on DVD at all.  Even if it was just one of those barebone DVDs with the movie in widescreen and a trailer, I'd be more than pleased.  Both stars, Coburn and Steiger, have passed on, but maybe there'd be some featurettes or documentaries with Sir Frayling and other western authors/critics.

Whatever comes out, I'll buy it.  This is a movie I've been planning on adding to my dvd collection for quite awhile.  Last summer, I even put some money aside to buy all these special edition dvds that were supposed to come out, but of course they never did.

Let's get this merger over and done with and put it behind us.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 11:38:12 PM »

I was pretty much doing the same as you waiting to buy them. I found an alternative outlet though to my Leone addiction, what I'm doing is seeking out & buying worthy SW's  and adding them to my collection and when we finally get DYS it will be the topper to it. That way even if I get burned once or twice along the line I know that the last one will be another masterpiece.  Cool

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Warwick
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 12:14:00 AM »

When they announced the merger  last year, several of MGM's titles still had release dates & were being released as was planned. Why did that have to stop at the Leone SE DVDs?
They were scheduled to come out in Dec 2005, & now we don't hear a word about them. Annoying to see how so many  of their titles made it through seemingly well after the merger announcement, but the Leone DVDs disappeared altogether. Very frustrating.

They have released these Leone SE dvds already in Europe & Australia. They have been released for quite some time now. I just ended up ordering the R2 DYS/FOD DVD from England, which is quite the beautiful package overall. I don't want to rub it in, but getting a region free player is the way to go.

So the SE DVDs do exist. I don't know how difficult it would be to take what's been done with the R2 SE DVDs, & put them out for R1. I'm sure the R1 SE will stay exactly the same as the R2 release in the every way, with all the extras.

Just to add to what Tim was saying about the passing of Steiger & Coburn(both in the same year!) I find it really sad that no one had ever thought to approach them with regards to making a DVD commentary for DYS/FOD. We had plenty of time to have them do just that, but the film & getting it on dvd only languished for the longest time & no one thought to get them on record before we lost them. What a wasted opportunity. This film was neglected for so long & this is the price we pay.

Sad to see how we get an excess of DVD extras & commentaries for mediocre films & TV shows of today which don't deserve such lavish treatment, yet we'll never get to hear a Leone, Fellini, Kurosawa commentary on any of their classics.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM