Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 12:37:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Dead Man (1995)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dead Man (1995)  (Read 10217 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2006, 04:27:08 PM »

Check this out and post what you guys think.  Wink

http://metaphilm.com/philm.php?id=445_0_2_0_M4

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 09:44:02 PM »

That's an interesting piece. The parallels between the two films are interesting, but I don't really see them as significant. Next time I watch DM, though, I'll keep them in mind.

Insofar as the writer uses the comparison to comment favorably on MNIN, I agree. For the reasons articulated (and more besides) MNIN is a better film than DM. MNIN is highly entertaining, DM (and all Jarmusch films) tend to be soporific. But when the writer claims that MNIN is the first post-modern film I have to say, Wasn't OUATITW the first post-modern film? The earlier film, with its use of quotations and references to the American Westerns that had come before, created the very situation the writer reserves for MNIN: viewers, reminded of the fact they are watching a Western, observe themselves watching a Western. MNIN does that trick again (and with humor), but OUATITW accomplished it first.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Sandman_USMC
Road Apple

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 10:51:22 AM »

The comparisons between the two films are very interesting.  I wouldn't doubt it if at some point in Jim Jarmusch's life he watched and remembered My Name is Nobody while making Dead Man, even if on a subliminal basis.

I have seen both films and I appreciate the level of thought in both.  However, Dead Man is definitely in it's own category.

One thing is for sure, there aren't enough good modern made westerns out there.  We need more courageous directors like Jim Jarmusch who the guts to make a good western that is well thought out and can deliver a full range of emotions to the viewer.

In my opinion, Dead Man borrows a bit of Leone and Peckinpah.  It's Leone on the level of thought and ingenuity, and Peckinpah when it comes to flat out mean characters.  The hired gunman who shoots that black cowboy in the back is downright racist and mean!  Sure, it makes you angry.  Then he guns down the other guy just for talking too much  Shocked  This racism and cold heartedness were just facts of life in their day, and should be understood by the viewer from a historical context.

There's also a part of Dead Man that is neither Leone or Peckinpah...it's more like a ride on a hallucinogenic drug that fits in with Oliver Stone (Natural Born Killers) or Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction)...and that's why it's rated R.

If you're up for an interesting change...go buy or rent it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z4WX/002-8426051-4926403?v=glance&n=130

Oh, I almost forgot.  The sound track for this movie is written and played by Neil Young.  I'm not a major fan of his, but I tell you the acoustic guitar in this movie is outstanding.  If you have any reason to check it out it would be to listen to it.  I sat back and watched it on my Sony wide screen with the Bose 5.1 home theatre kicking in the sound waves from all sides...it was a splended experience.  This type of sound is one thing you won't get from older westerns...you can only dream of it.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 12:11:11 PM by Sandman_USMC » Logged
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 05:10:41 PM »

I agree, the soundtrack for DM is outstanding. It's odd that the writer of the comparison piece didn't mention the fact that Neil Young had written the film's score.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 01:06:21 AM »

Intro with nice guitar by Neil Young

anyone seen this? is it good?
I'm trying to get a hold of it, looks good to me.

imdb page

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 03:01:34 AM »

Intro with nice guitar by Neil Young

anyone seen this? is it good?
I'm trying to get a hold of it, looks good to me.

imdb page

Tried sitting through this one on the "indie" channel a few years ago but failed. It's beyond tedious. Perhaps another try is in order.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 05:25:18 AM »

Once you get past the train ride at the beginning it picks up in the town of Machine and there is a nice cameo with Robert Mitchum. But its different, goes into sort of a dream type sequence.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 09:03:34 AM »

It's a really cool movie.

The beginning is boring, but as the movie progresses it begins to get interesting as, like CJ said, it goes into a sort of dreamy atmosphere.

I really liked the movie. I should rent it again sometime.

Tim
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 09:14:56 AM »

Didn't really care for this one.  It sounded like an interesting idea with it being in black-and-white, but as has been pointed out, the beginning was really slow so I stopped watching about 40 minutes in.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 02:18:31 PM »

I thought it was a decent movie. just not a typical western to say the least. I liked the symbolic voyage from life to death.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2006, 05:12:45 PM »

I thought it was a decent movie. just not a typical western to say the least. I liked the symbolic voyage from life to death.

The ending scared the hell out of me.  Undecided

Amaze
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 05:43:12 PM »

I don't about scary, but definitly surreal  Cool

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2006, 09:28:35 PM »

I don't about scary, but definitly surreal  Cool

Well, I was watching it at 1 in the morning with the lights off. So it was kinda scarey.  Roll Eyes

tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 05:58:22 PM »

Jim Jarmusch's flat out masterpiece. A brilliant western that goes unnoticed at times. I just can't get over how this movie sucks you in from the get go. From the beautiful camera work and photography, to the outstanding acting from Johnny Depp who I believe is the perfect actor for a western. I just hope he appears in another someday down the road. Also, wasn't Robert Mitchum's appearence hilarious and memorable at that?

Any thoughts about Dead Man, please post em...

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 06:02:22 PM »

this movie sucks

Grin

« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 06:07:59 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »