Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 07:30:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Blade Runner Infomation and Appreciation Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Blade Runner Infomation and Appreciation Thread  (Read 31279 times)
Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 02:03:58 PM »

enhanced as Ridley would have liked them back in it's original 82 release.

This sounds familiar. Didn't another science fiction classic get butchered and ruined because of something like that?
I was afraid of this, so I went out and bought the limited director's cut released in October. It may not be Ridley's final print, but it is HIS workprint made from notes he left on how it should be cut. Either way, that's a masterpiece!

Everything in the movie looks great, and has not dated at all. The spinners don't look that bad, no idea how flying cars are supposed to look anyway .

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 02:08:24 PM by Aguirre » Logged

Cast no shadows - Draw no light. I rape the priestess on pagan's night.
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 02:12:36 PM »

Right, sorry to dissapoint you Aguirre but the so called DC is not Ridleys Final cut. In the begining of the 90's with the re-discovery of the work print, Ridley was approached to do the DC of his film. He whole heartedly agreed and they started work, then it suddenly became bogged down. Trims and other footage that Ridley had asked for were unable to be found. The Unicorn dream is not Ridley's prefered take, merely an outtake that had to be used as the other couldn't be found. Time began to run out as WB had already pre-booked the DC into Theaters and Ridley found himself attached to another movie and was unable to help. He gave them some notes with which they were to follow (not like the detailed Welles notes for Touch Of Evil) and they restored the original ending. Ridley had set out to fix certain things, color timing on the shot of the dove at the end was one, re-inserting other scenes and shots back in (such as the Holden hospital sequence) was another and to fix a few other things. He was unable to do so and in fact the production of the DC was so rushed some of the original prints that went out were in poor shape. The Workprint is the version of the film alot of people want to see after this defintive cut (in which Ridley has been allowed to finally do what he wants to do with the film) as it contains alot of footage and other ideas that weren't encorporated into the final product. The international cut it notable as it includes a couple more seconds of violence, especially the fatal meeting between Roy and Tyrell near the end.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 03:45:20 PM »

I never said that it was his final cut, I said work print version.

The movie itself right now is perfect I think, I guess they could make it better, but we're talking technically better. I'm not excited to see his final final print of the movie. I've seen the Holden scene where he's in the hospital. I didn't learn anything new watching that. I guess it could be like James Cameron's extended version of Aliens where we learn why Ripley saves the little girl, since she feels a motherhood bond between her that she never had with her own child.

I don't feel that a few changes of timing, color sequence, different takes, or a few seconds of extra violence would enhance the picture in any way. I don't feel it is enough to go out and buy essentially what is the same movie for a third time. I mean, why would I want 3 "failed" versions of the movie that is the old director's cut, the international version, and the original theatrical version? That work print version is what Ridley Scott wanted on print, and it carries itself quite well while getting its point across.

People change, the same Scott 20 years ago would not want the same movie as the Ridley Scott who made Kingdom of Heaven. Every director sees something wrong with their work down the road, it's only human nature.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 03:50:20 PM »

Whoops, sorry Aguirre thats a typo on my part. But just to say Ridley himself has said that the DC is not his final version(and I know you said it wasn't) and it's really a work print still being worked on, and at the time if he had been able too work fully on the DC we would have come out with something quite different (we may have even have kept some bits of the VO as he has alluded to in some interviews)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 03:51:52 PM by Leone Admirer » Logged

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 04:00:05 PM »

Hey LA, I've only seen BR once when I was a kid and don't remember a lot about it but since you're an expert on this movie what was the Shaw Brothers role in this production? Were they co-producers? Co-financers? Was some of the film shot at their studio? I know the Shaws had a long relationship with Warners and the Shaws dabbled in numerous other American films such as Ridley's THE DUELLISTS.

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 04:05:40 PM »

Well, no idea how it could be totally different, but I was going to get it (with a coupon or a sort of discount) for the commentary. Since Ridley Scott usually very boring commentaries, and I usually can't hear it all the way through, I'll probably just avoid it.

If Deer Hunter gets released in Cimino's originally intended 4 hour cut, I wouldn't jump to get that at all. Since the film was successful and got its point across and is technically excellent as it is, I don't see the point in getting it. Same with Once Upon a Time in America as well. Leone intended a 4 hour Good Bad Ugly, I don't see people wanting to see that badly.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 04:12:12 PM »

Hey LA, I've only seen BR once when I was a kid and don't remember a lot about it but since you're an expert on this movie what was the Shaw Brothers role in this production? Were they co-producers? Co-financers? Was some of the film shot at their studio? I know the Shaws had a long relationship with Warners and the Shaws dabbled in numerous other American films such as Ridley's THE DUELLISTS.

I believe Sir Run Run Shaw was a producer on the film. It was shot on location in LA and at the WB studios. I think it was Shaw who asked (and eventually got their wish) to fire Ridley. Go see it again Arizona, especially in the upcoming Theatrical Showing. It is such a wonderful and powerful film. Tech Noir at it's best.

Aguirre, I agree the 4 hour cut would be a bit much (though I suspect there were 100's who would love to own it) but the Theatrical Cut was not what Ridley wanted, the DC is getting towards what Ridley wanted, and the final cut is supposed to be what Ridley has always wanted. Different to the DC of Alien which Ridley freely admits is not his DC, really the theatrical cut is Ridleys final cut, but Fox wanted him to do something with it for the 25th Aniversary.

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2007, 04:26:32 PM »

Actually, Ridley Scott wanted a 3 hour version of Alien. The studio got him down to 2 hours. The ending is different than what he wanted, it was the Alien killing Ripley and speaking into console with its own voice. Can anyone say "what the fuck?".
Alien is a different story though, the studio just gave the fans a version in which they wanted to see all the deleted scenes incorporated.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 04:40:10 PM »

True but Ridley now says the Theatrical Cut is the perfect cut of the movie. It's what he feels is his DC not the one that as you say encorporates a lot of (if not all the deleted scenes). It's interesting that the new Alien cut runs shorter then the Theatrical Cut, quite unusual in DC's. Aguirre, have you seen the Alien 3 workprint? Now that is one hell of an improvement then the TC.

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 05:32:32 PM »

No, but I would love to see the Alien3 Work Print. I was going to rent it but my girlfriend stopped me. I ended up paying for her stuff too. Maybe staying a virgin is underrated.  Lips Sealed

I have not seen the last 2 Alien films unfortunately. Although I did see AVP and it was a total mess. How is the last one in director's cut?

What I really want to see from Scott is Legend and the Duelists. The former being cut until recently.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2007, 05:36:17 PM »

Alien Resurrection is a bad, bad film. Never want to go near that thing again  Undecided

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2007, 05:43:41 PM »

and Legend?

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2007, 05:47:04 PM »

I haven't seen Legend yet, bit embarassing really as I know one of the editorial staff who worked on it  Embarrassed

Jon1
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2007, 09:01:42 PM »

Maybe staying a virgin is underrated.  Lips Sealed

Hahaha

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2007, 10:49:13 PM »

Hahaha

I figured someone would like that lol

The point of my ranting is that the Ridley Scott that made Gladiator and Black Hawk Down, would not want the same film as the Ridley Scott that made Bladerunner and Alien.

Think about it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM