Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2017, 03:17:52 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Blade Runner Infomation and Appreciation Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Blade Runner Infomation and Appreciation Thread  (Read 30384 times)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 06:38:08 AM »

True but Ridley is not  remaking Blade Runner. In his (and most fans) eyes Blade Runner in the cuts we have before have never been his final vision. He's merely picking up basically from when he was fired and tyring to finish the job he started back in 1982. This isn't like Lucas who one day looked back at Star Wars and thought, nah I'm not happy with this, or that, Ridley has never been fully happy with the versions of Blade Runner that have come out. He has tried to revist it many a time and was finally able to in 2001. This version is already 6 years old but has been held back due to legal difficulties. Take Brazil, Gilliam's Blade Runner. He finally created his ultimate directors version some years after the theatrical release and it was heralded as improved version of a great film. Apocalypse Now Redux is a thorny issue as some like it, some don't but that was a director and one of the original editors (Walter Murch) going back from the begining straight from the dalies and ironically basically creating a cut that mirrors the original release almost perfectly despite the nearly 30 years difference between the post-production of the two. This isn't someone re-interpreting Ridleys wises (aka Pat Garett) but this is Ridley taking the work print as the bench mark (Which he would have done back in 82) and working on from their with Terry Rawlings the original editor.

Point I'm trying to make is that Ridley is picking up the post from where he left off back in 82. He's not completely fitting out the bike, he just wants improvements on shots he probably would have asked to have been re-done at the time, and putting back footage that he felt works, especially since the Workprint proved by audience reaction that they worked.

I don't agree with you but I respect your opinion. Yes Ridley has changed but with what feedback has come from this version, it could be for the better.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 06:40:16 AM by Leone Admirer » Logged

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 06:51:31 PM »

Actually, I've been somewhat of a jerk on this thread. The CGI thing just really threw me my expectations off. It is coming out in theaters in a limited release, I'll probably end up seeing it 3 times or so.

Cast no shadows - Draw no light. I rape the priestess on pagan's night.
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007, 06:52:17 PM »

I apologise too, Blade Runner brings out the passion in all us fans  Cheesy

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2007, 11:31:49 AM »

Originally ALIEN was to be a Roger Corman film but I believe it was Dan O'Bannon who rallied against that. The wonderful sets J. Cameron and crew had built were used in the deliriously fun 1981 cult favorite GALAXY OF TERROR.

I saw an interview with Scott I think on the exhaustively info packed ALIEN QUADRILOGY where he said the reason he made the film shorter was to tighten some of the slower moving sequences.

What was the reason that Shaw requested his dismissal? Was Scott running over schedule or Shaw was dissatisfied with the dailies?

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2007, 03:54:55 PM »

A little bit of both, + the crew hated his guts, Harrison didn't like him and it seemed like the film was going to spiral out of control. Despite being fired Ridley just kept showing up.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2007, 01:01:11 PM »

I had heard Scott could be difficult. Thanks LA for the background info that is sometimes more interesting the  films themselves.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007, 01:34:27 PM »

Blade Runner has a great backstory. I recomend picking up the Paul M. Sammon book Future Noir: The making of Blade Runner which'll hold you with background Blade Runner info before the boxset is released this autumn.

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2007, 02:12:26 PM »

I wonder why Harrison Ford is really shy about Bladerunner in interviews. Maybe he's used to being in blockbusters.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2007, 03:40:38 PM »

Ford and Ridley fell out during the making of the film. He has said that he feels Blade Runner is a film "About a detective that doesn't do much detecting" and has been mostly negative about it. A recent interview does show that his feelings towards it have perhaps thawed. It's a shame because I think it's one of Harrison's best roles.

Aguirre
Bandido

I am the wrath of God!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2007, 07:27:01 PM »

Hmmm, I wonder if Scott gave him the book to read. Sometimes actors will do that to get a better sense of the character. Then again, Deckard wasn't a replicant in the novel.

Way better than the movie IMO. Well, aren't all movies like that?

Tuco the ugly
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2007, 11:18:43 AM »

I re-watched it the other day after several years,such a great movie.
I hope a remake won't be made any time soon...

Sonny
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2007, 04:44:07 PM »

I hope a remake won't be made any time soon...

..or ever..for that matter.  Most remakes are just useless disasters with high budgets. This would be no different.

"I have vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals.."
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2007, 12:06:24 AM »

..or ever..for that matter.  Most remakes are just useless disasters with high budgets. This would be no different.

Yeah,it would be nice to think it will never be made,but it's highly unbelievable.
Blade Runner is one of those films that practically everybody heard about,it's reputation is huge,and even if someone doesn't like the movie he'll tell you that is absolutely great.And there's the rabbit,the big studios won't (ever) miss the chance to make money.It doesn't mean if the remake is crappy that they won't make a huge profit,think about it.Most people will go see it out of pure curiosity,or rent a DVD,those who like it will buy themselves a copy,the other part will return to the old version,and you have profit again.
Someone once said:Write anything about me,bad or good I don't care,just get my name right...It's the same thing with movies/remakes-there is no such thing as bad publicity,who cares if it won't be good...

Silenzio
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2007, 01:05:05 AM »

I watched this movie for the first time last week.... Wow.

Within the next few days I saw a trailer for the final cut on tv while I was watching the AFI top 100 countdown.  I am so psyched.  Any word on just how limited the release will be in theatres.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2007, 01:12:53 AM »

Way better than the movie IMO. Well, aren't all movies like that?

Nah, Stephen King's novel "The Shining" is a schlocky mess. Kubrick's movie is a masterpeice.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 01:14:20 AM by The Firecracker » Logged

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM