Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 04:46:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Blade Runner Infomation and Appreciation Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Blade Runner Infomation and Appreciation Thread  (Read 30329 times)
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

Filmmaker with a fiery passion for films

View Profile
« on: February 01, 2006, 05:13:47 AM »

Another piece of excellent DVD news, this again taken from the digital bits website via the HTF:

And finally, here's a bit of news that's going to get a lot of you excited (and I made a point to specifically ask about this title, believe me)... Ridley Scott's Blade Runner (1982) is currently on track for release as a multi-disc special edition in time for its 25th anniversary in 2007. The release is far from certain (as usual, there's a lot more that I can't post about this title yet - think of the old saying, "Loose lips sink ships"), but Warner says that work is proceeding, most of the key players are involved and things are "looking good" for release next year. We'll see.

Wahoo, with all the legal turmoil this release has been facing over the years, lets hope this release will be much more smoother.

Films: You cant just love them, you've gotta adore them!
JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 09:38:02 AM »

The sad thing is that some of the material Ridley Scott considers essential for a genuine director's cut no longer exists, or is in such poor condition as to be unusable in the digital format.

Still, good news about a new DVD release.  We've had to make do with a bare-bones edition for too long.

Out West: The All-Fiction Western 'Zine
--> Submit today! <--
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 03:56:28 PM »

It'll be interesting to see if most of the legal problems have been cleared up and we get more then one version of the film, hopefully the revisited DC that Scott calls his definitve cut. The HTF chat with warners is coming up soon and I can say with some certainty that there will be some questions asked regarding this release.

JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 07:35:32 PM »

It'll be interesting to see if most of the legal problems have been cleared up and we get more then one version of the film, hopefully the revisited DC that Scott calls his definitve cut.

Unfortunately -- and as I mentioned above -- some of the footage Scott considers part of an actual "director's cut" no longer exists, or is in such poor shape as to be useless in the digital medium.  See Paul Sammon's Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner for more details.

--> Submit today! <--
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 05:02:51 AM »

I've got that book, but I have also read that the original take that Ridley wanted of the Unicorn has been found. Also from what I have read about Ridleys definitve cut is that most of the changes will be fixes and the adition of CGI spinners.

JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 07:13:02 AM »

I've got that book, but I have also read that the original take that Ridley wanted of the Unicorn has been found. Also from what I have read about Ridleys definitve cut is that most of the changes will be fixes and the adition of CGI spinners.
Scott also wanted some gore shots reinstated, ones that were extant at the time of the VHS release (and appear there), but don't any longer.  When the current "director's cut" was assembled, that footage was missing or degraded.  See also Sammon.

--> Submit today! <--
The Smoker
Bounty Killer

Well.. well. if it isn't.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 10:05:49 AM »

Scott also wanted some gore shots reinstated, ones that were extant at the time of the VHS release (and appear there), but don't any longer.  When the current "director's cut" was assembled, that footage was missing or degraded.  See also Sammon.

Mainland European Threatrical cut has the additional gore shots. Criterion's 80s Laserdisc released it in a widescreen digital format. Ive got it somewhere, Not much to shout about.. dosn't make a real difference to the film.
Quick blood spurt from Tyrell's eye sockets. Deckard has his nostrils rearranged by Priss while in the thunder thies lock.
Their actually amusing and create an distraction from the film.
Stange Ridley had a similar scene in Alien. 'Ash (android) attacking Parker'  sequence tends to come off a little wonkey and obsurd.

JamesK
Bandido

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 11:19:18 AM »

Mainland European Threatrical cut has the additional gore shots. Criterion's 80s Laserdisc released it in a widescreen digital format. Ive got it somewhere, Not much to shout about.. dosn't make a real difference to the film.

I agree.  I'm just passing on Scott's thoughts.  Apparently having a shot of the blood flowing freely over Roy's hands as he gouges out Tyrell's eyes is important to him.

--> Submit today! <--
Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 01:12:42 PM »

I would love to see the work print also after having first read about in Future Noir.

bill carson
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 05:25:11 PM »

oh man.... I hope this really does get a release. Along with THE ROAD WARRIOR, it's the only film that I'm desperately awaiting a special edition dvd release for.  Cool

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 03:16:01 PM »

At the warners site the release is being listed as a two disc SE of the Director's Cut. I guess I'll be buying...  Grin

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 10:49:56 AM »

Got this in my Variety email this morning. Excellent, nay fantastic, nay awesome news.

Marathon 'Runner' 26/5/06
WB preps 'final cut' of sci-fi classic

By DIANE GARRETT

Warner homevid has disentangled "Blade Runner's" famously thorny rights issues to pave the way for a September reissue of the remastered "Director's Cut" version, followed by a theatrical release of a version promised to be truly Ridley Scott's final cut.

Warner's rights to "Blade Runner" lapsed a year ago, but the studio has since negotiated a long-term license. The pic, now considered a sci-fi classic, has had a troubled history from the start: When Scott ran overbudget, completion bond guarantors took control of it and made substantial changes before its 1982 theatrical release, adding a voiceover and happy ending. That version was replaced by the much better-received director's cut in 1992, but Scott has long been unhappy with it, complaining that he was rushed and unable to give it proper attention.

The helmer started working on the final cut version in 2000, but that project was shelved by Warner soon after, apparently because the studio couldn't come to terms with Jerry Perenchio over rights issues.

The restored "Director's Cut" will debut on homevid in September, and remain on sale for four months only, after which time it will be placed on moratorium. "Blade Runner: Final Cut" will arrive in 2007 for a limited 25th anniversary theatrical run, followed by a special edition DVD with the three previous versions offered as alternate viewing: Besides the original theatrical version and director's cut, the expanded international theatrical cut will be included. The set will also contain additional bonus materials.

The massive "Blade Runner" project comes on the heels of Scott's four-disc treatment for "Kingdom of Heaven," released this week by Fox homevid, less than a year after the pic's initial homevid release.

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 08:11:56 AM »

As this year looks like to be THE year for Blade Runner fans I thought we should have a thread discussing the latest news on the DVD release, the theatrical release, the new version and our thoughts on this great film.

DVD Releases

Last October we had the release of the newly remastered (erroneously called) Blade Runner DC. It's a much better physical improvement over the original R1 release. This was a limited release for four months before it's pulled to make way for the next wave.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews24/bladerunner.htm

We are next greeted with a theatrical release of Ridley's new cut. This new cut contains new footage such as the original Unicorn dream sequence (different to the one in the DC), and the famous Holden hospital scene. There wil also be new CGI additions with new spinners and other elements of the degraded future LA enhanced as Ridley would have liked them back in it's original 82 release.

Then around this autumn we shall be treated to the DVD release all BR fans have been waiting for. A multidisc (apparently 3 at the current estimate) for the 25th Aniversary which should contrain 3 versions of the film, the new 25th aniversary defintive cut, the original theatrical cut and the International Version along with many, many extras all supervised by famed DVD producer Charlie de Lauzirika.

It would be an understatement if I said was really looking forward to this release. The fact that this was one of the first films I saw that sent me down the career path I am on now and having been in Sir Ridleys office, worked with people who were on this incredible film and owning original poster I'm finally glad that this film has been finally given the respectful home entertainment release it deserves.

Other Blade Runner Sources

Books

Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner - By Paul M Sammon (rumours are Paul might be doing something very special for the 25th Aniversary which may mean an extended version of the book)

http://www.amazon.com/Future-Noir-Making-Blade-Runner/dp/0061053147/sr=1-5/qid=1171724214/ref=sr_1_5/103-5331635-0854244?ie=UTF8&s=books

The Blade Runner Experience: The Legacy of a Science Fiction Classic - By Will Brooker

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-Experience-Science-Fiction/dp/1904764304/sr=1-6/qid=1171724214/ref=sr_1_6/103-5331635-0854244?ie=UTF8&s=books

Blade Runner (BFI Modern Classics) - By Scott Bukatman

http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-BFI-Modern-Classics/dp/0851706231/sr=1-4/qid=1171724214/ref=sr_1_4/103-5331635-0854244?ie=UTF8&s=books

The Game

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-11462-Blade-Runner/dp/B00002EPYE/sr=8-8/qid=1171724571/ref=pd_bbs_8/103-5331635-0854244?ie=UTF8&s=videogames

Websites

http://brmovie.com/

http://bladezone.com/

Original Blade Runner Props

http://www.propstore.com/product_info.php?pid=3729

Original Blade Runner Posters

http://www.filmposters.com/catalog/results.asp?ProdCat=&title=Blade+Runner&DIRECTOR=&star=&PosterSize=&Decade=&country=&B1=***++Search++***#

pixelated
Gunslinger

perhaps.. i have a dream

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 01:49:50 PM »

thanks for the info  Afro

i still have the original release of the blade runner DC... will definitely be looking forward to the 25th anniversary release! i wasn't even aware there were new cuts available  Embarrassed

Leone Admirer
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 02:00:48 PM »

Oh the different versions of Blade Runner and how they came about would make a fascinating movie in its own right, from the Indiana Jones style re-discovery of the work print in the early 90's to the aborted attempt of releasing the ultimate version back in 2001.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM