Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 02:11:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Sound effects
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sound effects  (Read 3530 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2003, 09:10:54 PM »

Ok here is a question, the sound effects for all Leone westerns, were they completely studio generated or were they recorded from nature. I can understand that the hoof beats, gunshots, richochets, etc were probably manufactured by sound engineers, but what about the wind, the bird calls, the crickets, the buzz of flies, are we hearing some of the sounds of the countyside of Almeria or is it all bogus.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 11:56:21 AM »

joe, how about that huge bug indio squashes w/ his fist in FOFDM?
i remember blondie recouping @ the mission.  a fly lands right on eastwood's face then takes off again.  
or when angel eyes throws his shovel. it misses wallach's head by inches.
stunt men ? we don't need no stinking stunt men!
except when blondie, helping tuco elimanate angel eye's gang shoots  one up on the roof. the guy lands upside down on his neck. that had to be a dummy. or did they just bury the guy in a shallow grave after the days shooting ?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2003, 10:37:45 PM by KERMIT » Logged
Jupa
Gunslinger

Viva Leone!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 06:23:05 AM »

I think some of the sounds were indeed recorded in nature.It is possible that even some gunshot and ricochet sounds were recorded in nature.

KERMIT
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2003, 02:45:39 AM »

no one , before or scince, has ever as, ennio moricone did shake a 100 watt amp head w/ reverb on 10,  creating a sonic crash, to heighten  tention .  the reverb  creation can olny be herd from in the eurro   version. it's  AWOL on american cd sountrack.  it so cool,  i laugh a nervous  laugh a nervous laugh when i hear it.  then el indio's pocket watch theme is inserted, as morricone raises the ante increasing  the tention  a knotch more.                                                                                                                                                                 needless to say morricone was to his compitions as leone was to his film.  this being   third and most successful attempt,  for all involved,  to out do the previous two dollar sequels, single handedly the spaghettis changed everything. and , in the nick of time, as '64 seemed a pivitol year in the 60's.  the western had to change w/ the times, and leone was destined to be the man to breathe new life into genre scenw by both eurro, then american audiences.                                                                                                                                                                    or was it a western ?  it was leone finito.
if he used violence inthe GB&U,  but he knew exatly how to suddenly switch  to dreamlike vistas.  ie. the desert scenes, the runnaway coach w/ bill carson and company.   sadhill.                                                                                      
 enyone fimiliar
w/ "the lone ranger t.v. series? clayton moore & jay silverheels rode by the same rock  300 times. . now there's a budget.

people discuss how many  how many camers angles the "psyco" shower scene  took hitch to shoot. how many shots did leone shoot  right after clint puts the rock with unka-unka- unknown  name off the grave.

ever notice i never get replys ?  how can you reply to  someone who's in arrested development. i played hookey, virtually every day from school when leone picture came to town ?  

if i had to be a obssessive /compulsive, leone certianly became my other school master.

kermit
(whew)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2003, 04:44:48 AM »

Hey Kermit,

no one , before or scince, has ever as, ennio moricone did shake a 100 watt amp head w/ reverb on 10,  creating a sonic crash, to heighten  tention .  the reverb  creation can olny be herd from in the eurro  version. it's  AWOL on american cd sountrack.  it so cool,  i laugh a nervous  laugh a nervous laugh when i hear it.  

I've never heard it but it does sound cool.

then el indio's pocket watch theme is inserted, as morricone raises the ante increasing  the tention  a knotch more.                                                                                                                                                                needless to say morricone was to his compitions as leone was to his film.  this being  third and most successful attempt,  for all involved,  to out do the previous two dollar sequels, single handedly the spaghettis changed everything. and , in the nick of time, as '64 seemed a pivitol year in the 60's.  the western had to change w/ the times, and leone was destined to be the man to breathe new life into genre scenw by both eurro, then american audiences.                                                                     or was it a western ?  it was leone finito.

It was and it wasn't. It showed the western in a new way a new take on it. It works the same way in music. The Beatles for example were trying to make american rock and roll, and what they synthesized was something new. It was and it wasn't. You are right, it wasn't Rock & Roll it was the Beatles, a new sound. Same with Leone, it wasn't a western it was Leone, a new style. Unfortunately, Clints rise to stardom eclipsed Leone, so we were looking forward to "Clint Eastwood" pictures rather than Leone's, I was guilty of this, and probably a lot of others.

if he used violence inthe GB&U,  but he knew exatly how to suddenly switch  to dreamlike vistas.  ie. the desert scenes, the runnaway coach w/ bill carson and company.  sadhill.                                                                                      
enyone fimiliar
w/ "the lone ranger t.v. series? clayton moore & jay silverheels rode by the same rock  300 times. . now there's a budget.

I remember that rock in a lot of TV westerns, there was also a bridge that was a backdrop it a lot of them too.

people discuss how many  how many camers angles the "psyco" shower scene  took hitch to shoot. how many shots did leone shoot  right after clint puts the rock with unka-unka- unknown  name off the grave.

ever notice i never get replys ?  how can you reply to  someone who's in arrested development. i played hookey, virtually every day from school when leone picture came to town ?

I didn't have too, I just walked over a few blocks to Times Square.

if i had to be a obssessive /compulsive, leone certianly became my other school master.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2003, 10:54:32 AM »

a good freind of mine who plays his traps left footed and right handed but always in the pocket. and i, formed a duo.  me kicking bass pedals on the hammond  . i would let him play a good strong backbeat then jump in and play  enything. on this night i revamped "8 miles high" by the byrds which as a hit  @ the time in '66 and the jam begin.

anyway my high school english teacher , who had tippled a few this evening was ringside. i was supposed to be in school the next morning so i went to speak w/ him on break to reasure him i would be in class. he said forget it man ! when i look at you in class you never listen or learn. you seem to be in someone else's classroom.  

so in early spring of '67 i burnt my bridges & told the main  band i worked w/ we,re going down to fla.  to work the night club circut around cocoa beach which some of the more mentally handicapped  guys like me went along w/.  nasa people would come in and raise immortal hell having a good time.  topless go-go girls  beat the heck outta sittin in some classroom,  plus i got paid to do it.   we preceeded to play 90 straight nights 5 hrs a night w/ a battle of the bands on sundays that would last yo to 13 hours.

realising the'res  no future in this, i took off for NYC  and joined w up w/ another band.  i wound up working on an album of original material that took 2 years to complete @ the don elliot studios. home of the chipmonk song fame.
here i was introduced to the variable high frequency osillator or (vho), used to make jimmy savile's chipmonk songs.  i immeadiately put the VHO to work along w/ enything else i could lay hands on that were in adjoining studios and somehow talked the head engineer into leaveing the studio and board to the band, which he gracefully did .  i learned one day that hendrix had been in the studio the night before using the VHO, as battered marshall amps lay in a corner.  
 cut to the chase kermit.   Angry

on the DVD version of GB&U @ priciselely the 2hr. 30 min mark, during the duell, you can hear someone shaking hell out of a 100 watt amp head causing a tortuous crashing sound . beyond cool.   Cool

morricone choose to use the infamous farsia  itialian organ. i  used before getting my hammond.  cheesy sounding sucker but perfect when morricone utilizes it ,  on the soundtrack,  during  the intro of " insegmento" when tuco is tracking down blondie. also, this is where that shot of the rocks appears in a seperate leone production.  correct me if i'm wrong...... on 2nd thought move on.   the'res no hope correcting me.

and thats enough of that stuff !!   Tongue
kermit

« Last Edit: May 24, 2003, 11:18:18 AM by KERMIT » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM