Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 07:10:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Emperor of the North Pole (1973)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Emperor of the North Pole (1973)  (Read 10923 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2006, 11:23:51 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000JBJK/ref=pd_bbs_null_1/002-2820110-4344830?v=glance&s=dvd

This is one of those great '70's movies which apparently hasn't been yet thought deserving a dvd release. And, at least in Italy, it hasn't been televised recently. I would like to see it again.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 12:21:59 AM »

Yea, I'll agree with you on this one, not bad at all needs a DVD release. Marvin & Borgnine with Earnest in one of his best nasty guy parts.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 06:57:37 AM »

His best: From Here to Eternity is a joke compared to this.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 11:25:56 PM »

Picked this up the other day and just got around to watching it, its a must film for train buffs, Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine at his meanest Kieth Carradine, lot of hobo lore etc., good stuff, should have had "Big Rock Candy Mountian" as the theme as in "Oh Brother where art thou".

One thing I did notice that's been cut from the version shown on TV is what happens to the bo that Shack first hits with his hammer and the grim result.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 11:29:09 PM »

Picked this up the other day and just got around to watching it, its a must film for train buffs, Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine at his meanest Kieth Carradine, lot of hobo lore etc., good stuff, should have had "Big Rock Candy Mountian" as the theme as in "Oh Brother where art thou".

One thing I did notice that's been cut from the version shown on TV is what happens to the bo that Shack first hits with his hammer and the grim result.

I love this movie. Lee Marvin is great as A No. 1 and Ernest Borgnine was so evil in this movie. I like the railroad/hobo jargon throughout the movie. I never saw a film that captured the feel of the Great Depression so perfectly. It's a shame Emperor of the North did so poorly.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 11:32:49 PM »

Its got a lot of great RR shots, looks like the area where I lived in Montana, though its shot in Oregon. Worth the buy.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 11:36:19 PM »

Its got a lot of great RR shots, looks like the area where I lived in Montana, though its shot in Oregon. Worth the buy.

Being that I'm a railroad buff I want 20th Century Fox to come out with an Emperor of the North DVD.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 11:54:25 PM »

Its out  Cool that's what I watched.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 11:56:42 PM »

Its out  Cool that's what I watched.

Really? Widescreen?

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 01:36:38 AM »

I just checked and the DVD is in widescreen!!! Thank you very much Cigar Joe for telling me about it, I've loved this movie since I was a younger kid and it's nice to finally see it uncut and uncensored on DVD. With my birthday in September I've added it to my list.

Amaze
Bounty Killer

I don't see any method at all, sir.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 04:26:07 PM »

just saw it. probably the best train-themed movie I've seen. loved Borgnine and Lee Marvin. didnt really think keith Carradine was that great. maybe coz his acting was a bit theatrical, I always hate that in movies.

Borgnine was really evil in this movie, notice the hammer:

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 04:39:18 PM »

I think that it is limitative to restrict the interest for this movie to the train buffs. This is a great (very great) action movie. That's all.
Anyway, CJ, how come you had missed it at the time? Because I think it wasn't so successful in the USA and that should be explained. I think it had to do with the title, which leaves you flabbergasted as to what the content may be.
I saw it in the theatre, only because it was a Aldrich, with the added Marvin value. Then I picked it a pair of times on TV. But Borgnine is one of the most frightening characters to be seen in a movie: he is pure evil. Carradine, I don't like him here. I think I'm gonna pick me the dvd.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 05:13:39 PM »

I'd only seen it on TV and that was always the Pan & Scan cut version, never saw it in a theater but that was probably when I was with The Forest Service and I was out in the boonies most of the year in the 70's so I probably missed it when it hit the theaters, but it is definitely worth the buy.

The Peacemaker
Bounty Killer

OH SH*T!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 11:11:41 AM »

I want to get the DVD. I've loved this movie since I was really really young.

Man with no dame
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 12:05:11 PM »

One of Robert Aldrich's last great actioners, he was looking for a piece to reunite Marvin and Borgnine in. Peckinpah, I believe wrote the first draft of this film and was scheduled to direct it. There is a website devoted to this film if any one is interested. Only flaw I found with this flick was the casting of Keith Carradine.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 01:29:45 PM by Man with no dame » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM