Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 05:27:17 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  General Information
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Reviews at time of movie release
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 [2]
: Reviews at time of movie release  ( 10327 )
Blueberry
Gunslinger

I've been to Sugar Town and I shook the sugar down

« #15 : December 03, 2003, 06:08:14 AM »

Many thanks for those reviews

The line about the El Paso heat and the clothing seems pretty cheap - I couldn't help picturing Clint and Lee in shorts when I read it... and now I just want that thought OUT of my head again...
Man with no Name, poncho, and complete with shorts.

Or Tuco - Sombrero, boots, and now introducing...: shorts.

Maybe it could be done with a digital make-over of the movies. And they could add baseball caps instead of the hats and, since smoking is not good for you, lollypops instead of cigarillos. For keeping the "look cool"-effect, Ray-Bans could be added -  8)

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #16 : December 03, 2003, 04:43:18 PM »

So true Blueberry, lol.

They do not realise  that the high desert can get quite cool in the winter months and also cold at night. There is no statement in GBU as to time of year. In FAFDM we may be able to see the month on the paper (with a screen capture) that Mortimer looks in to see who Clint is, that may give us a clue to time of year.

For example todays weather for El Paso (elevation 3958):

Daytime high 64 degrees F, nightime 35 degrees F,  wind is SE at 6 miles per hr.

Normal average temps for this time of year.
60F/16C days and 35F/2C nights

Tucumcari, New Mexico (4,086 feet above sea level) is 56F, normal temps are 56F/13C and  low is 27F/-2C

Santa Fe, New Mexico (Elevation 7,000 feet ) normal temps are 48F/8C and low is 24F/-4C

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #17 : February 10, 2006, 05:00:03 PM »

I had missed this topic (like many others) and what did strike me is the bad faith of the reviewers. Why do I say this? Because as much as you don't like or understand these movies (or pretend to)  you couldn't help noticing the excellence of the scores, even if you don't understand a thing about music.
Should one have mentioned the excellence of the scores then you should have admitted consequently that a high professionalism was at work in these movies, which should have forced you to deal consequently with the rest.
Of course, underlying it all, (this is my personal conviction, mind) there's the inability to cope with the amazing fact that the best movies of this most american of genres were done by a Roman in Spain. This is what Ebert means when says that his instinct spoke otherwise than his rationality which said to him: "It just can't be".
I think that american "critics" were ready (couldn't have done otherwise anyway) to admit Italy's excellence in the '50's and '60's in the art movies but were a granite block (as usual: that's how they earn their fare) in defending Hollywood's pre-eminence in popular entertainment which fact, in the '60's, was debatable.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #18 : February 11, 2006, 07:30:02 AM »

I think that american "critics" were ready (couldn't have done otherwise anyway) to admit Italy's excellence in the '50's and '60's in the art movies but were a granite block (as usual: that's how they earn their fare) in defending Hollywood's pre-eminence in popular entertainment which fact, in the '60's, was debatable.

Its the truth, though not only art house films, Italian Comedies were also highly thought of in the 50's & early 60's.

But you are so right on the "American" genre of the Western, they could not believe that a Roman in Spain could not only make a passable Western, but actually out do them, in a way that has yet to be even closely replicated.

You hardly ever hear a bad review on the regular TV news channels they are just obviuosly touts for the Film Industry.

On the old Siskel & Ebert and the new Ebert & Roper movie review cable TV show you do get their thumbs up and thumbs down. In some of the metro news papers you will get intelligent critical reviews from time to time.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines