Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 09:33:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  40 years old
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 40 years old  (Read 2107 times)
bill carson
« on: February 13, 2006, 05:18:27 PM »

Hola Amigos! Please excuse me if this has been a topic during my absence. well, 1966 - 2006! GBU is now Forty Years Old and by God it's still the greatest film ever made... EVER! I see that Mr. Hanley is attempting to make a book on the subject (Good Luck to you Sir!)  I was just wondering if any of you fellow fans have seen or heard of any other related stuff i.e. news / magazine articles or new documentaries / interviews?

Beebs
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 08:00:10 PM »

Welcome back, Bill. Good to see you, (or hear from you rather).

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 08:46:40 PM »

Hola Amigos! Please excuse me if this has been a topic during my absence. well, 1966 - 2006! GBU is now Forty Years Old ...

I dispute this. True, the principal photography used in the film was shot between April and July of 1966, and true also Sergio Leone premiered his new film around Christmas time of that year in Rome, but that film was not GBU but rather BBC.

It is important to keep those films separate in our thinking: they are different for many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that BBC has a running time of around 180 minutes (Frayling claims 182) and the theatrical release of GBU (which opened in America in January 1968) clocked in at the more modest 164.

And GBU was not completed until 1967. I haven't found a source for this, but until I am contradicted, this is what I contend. I do so on the following assumption. After shooting BBC, SL spent the time between then and the Rome premier editing his film. Many witnesses tell us that SL took a long time editing the film, and he must have been rushed to meet his deadline. In any case, he certainly didn't have time to prepare GBU. We also know that when Eastwood and the other actors went to New York to do the English dubbing, the film had already been cut (hence the "reinserted" footage that had to be dubbed for the 2003 restoration). So the re-cutting and English dubbing must have occurred sometime in 1967, and it is only then, with the dubbing done, that GBU can be considered to have entered the world.

BBC is forty years old, but GBU is only 39 (or 38) years old.

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Beebs
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 10:31:34 AM »

Rats, two more years. Oh well, I graduate that year (2008).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM