Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 10:22:00 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Part of an Eli Wallach interview
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Part of an Eli Wallach interview  (Read 3676 times)
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2003, 05:24:04 PM »

Paul M. Riordan interview with Eli Wallach:

When I was out there, I was asked to do a movie by an Italian director named Leone. So, I went to Hathaway and I said, "He wants me to play a Mexican bandit. I donít know." He said, "Come with me." [He] took me to a western costume company and found me a hat and boots and a pair of chaps that went from the knee down. Itís a wonderful conception. And when Leone saw me, he said it was wonderful. He loved it.

Speaking of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1967), I understand that you speak Italian, so you were able to communicate well with the director, Sergio Leone.

In those days, you know, there was no direct sound. It all was dubbed. So, you spoke your language, and the other actors spoke their language. Spanish, Italian, French, German, Chinese, whatever they spoke. And then it was all dubbed in.

And I enjoyed working with Clint, who said to me, "When I finish this picture, Iím not gonna make any more Italian movies. Iím gonna make my own." So, for thirty some odd years, heís been making his own, and Iíve not been in one of them! But I like him.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 08:59:30 PM »

hi joe,
a question was asked earlier ,"what would leone's movies been like w/out morricone's music?"

what would G,B&U. been like w/out eli wallach in the role of tuco ?  

kermit

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 09:21:02 PM »

Some of the magic would definitely be gone.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
aaronson
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 06:56:05 AM »

Paul M. Riordan interview with Eli Wallach:

When I was out there, I was asked to do a movie by an Italian director named Leone. So, I went to Hathaway and I said, "He wants me to play a Mexican bandit. I don?t know."

[
  Very interesting, but is it a joke ?  Eli already played el senor Caldera, a fabulous mexican bandido chief in "the magnificent seven" and without help

sempre sempre ci ni sara banditinelli in macchia Corsa
Il Buono
Gunslinger

You're the son of a thousand fathers!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 11:26:18 AM »

Yeah, and in 'How the west was won' too...

Your ass is grass... And I am the lawnmower
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 06:40:22 PM »

Maybe he didn't want to do another one? Any way , the whole interview is on this site:

http://www.imagesjournal.com/issue06/features/eliwallach.htm

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM