Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 08:43:57 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Soldier Blue (1970)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Soldier Blue (1970)  (Read 11522 times)
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 09:12:06 AM »

Well, about BSM being a native american it is not a decisive factor as she does the usual folksie stuff and not something in a real indian vein (well, who knows, maybe is an advantage. I don't go for folksie crap in the Baez-Dylan line. But also native stuff, bah...). But it is the rest of the score which is embarassing, cheapie and uninspired in a way contrasting with the professionality of the movie.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 10:02:17 AM »

But it is the rest of the score which is embarassing, cheapie and uninspired in a way contrasting with the professionality of the movie.

I agree

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 12:32:49 PM »

This is out from Lionsgate DVD and can be had for $10-$15. I almost paid $27 for the R2 and it's a good thing I held out. One of the ultra violent westerns in the wake of THE WILD BUNCH although that movie doesn't come close to the disturbing violence on display here. Candice Bergen, well on her way to being one of the most abused actresses on screen, stars as a mail order bride whose former Indian husband comes to reclaim her. Storyline is slightly similar to THE HUNTING PARTY also with Bergen, but delves deeper into the violence the white man perpetrated on the Indians during this time.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 03:30:31 PM »

check out "wrath of god" from the same director.

Very entertaining western.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 03:50:59 PM »

Watched this last night and it's a very good American western directed by Ralph Nelson. Made in the wake of THE WILD BUNCH, it's an extremely graphic film based on a real event in Sand Creek, Colorado in 1864 when a cavalry of US troops unflinchingly massacred a Cheyenne village without mercy.

Candice Bergen plays Cresta, who is was formerly the wife of a Cheyenne tribal leader. She is on her way to be married to a US cavalry officer when the paymaster's detachment she is traveling with is attacked by Cheyenne forces. Only two survive, Cresta and Honus Gant (Peter Strauss). The two brave the countryside to make it to the Cavalry fort alive. Once there, Cresta learns that the military plan to massacre an Indian settlement. She leaves to earn them of the impending danger. Spotted Wolf, her former husband played by Jorge Rivera, refuses to believe the army will attack as they had given him a necklace of peace.

The army does indeed attack out of revenge for a previous attack some time prior. What follows during the final 20 minutes is one of the most vile, cruel and sadistic, not to mention gruesome and graphically violent finales I have ever seen in any film. This sequence reminded me of a similar one in CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST. It is a very anti-american, anti-government movie that was heavily cut to attain an R rating then cut even further to get a PG. Lionsgate has released the film uncut but it's curious to see the R rating before the film begins. There's no way this movie could get away with an R in view of the astoundingly nasty finale. Apparently the film was not resubmitted to the MPAA upon Lionsgate obtaining the original negative.

Donald Pleasence also has a brief role as a seedy salesman who's selling rifles from dead soldiers to the Indians. The film opens rather violently letting you know within the first five minutes what you're in for. Then during the middle section, with Bergen and Strauss, the film lets up quite a bit as you get to know these two characters. Bergen is much more interesting here than in the following years THE HUNTING PARTY. Here, she's a foul mouthed, cunning and learned young spitfire who keeps the naive and inexperienced Honus from danger (some of the time). The two ultimately gain feelings for one another and these scenes are quite good and funny. Bergen also spouts off her thoughts on the government particularly the assumption that the Indians originated scalping their victims when in actuality it was the white man among other things.

All told, just with the finale alone, this film is more graphically violent than WILD BUNCH and HUNTING PARTY combined. This film is based on real events and has some powerful imagery with its nihilistic ending that, like it or not, you'll not forget.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 05:18:46 PM »

I have a DVDr of the German Release.

The German title translates to "Murderers Lulabye", lol.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 04:02:00 AM by cigar joe » Logged

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 05:22:13 PM »

http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2937.0

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 09:26:36 PM »

This just got the R1 treatment? Best Buy?

I only own one of Nelson's westerns and that is the very spaghetti like "WRATH OF GOD".
Plot holes galore but certainly worth a few views. It has outstanding squibbed filled action sequences.

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 01:53:02 PM »

It's been out for a few months from Lionsgate. I posted a new topic about it a while back but no one commented on it. I just finally got around to watching it last night. The only (minor) complaint I have with it, is that we don't get to know Spotted Wolf very well. The few scenes we see of his character are well done by Jorge Rivero (CONQUEST), but it would have added even more to the brutally nasty final 20 minutes. According to an interview, Nelson wanted to show one of the most appalling acts of violence in American history the way it truly was--ugly. No punches are pulled whatsoever. This is also supposedly the first film to show women being raped fully naked. The graphic violence towards small children was a major taboo breaker as well. I would be curious to see the R version as well as the PG version and compare them.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 06:14:32 PM »

Cinema Retro reports on a new book on the subject: http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/1840-THE-MOST-SAVAGE-FILM-RELIVING-SOLDIER-BLUE.html#extended

That's what you get, Drink, for getting out of bed this morning.
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 11:13:17 AM »

Got this book sometime this week entitled THE MOST SAVAGE FILM: SOLDIER BLUE, CINEMATIC VIOLENCE & THE HORRORS OF WAR. The book details everything about the film and even has details on scenes that were removed from all release prints as well as scenes rejected by the director himself for being too revolting. Judging by what is described in the book, the amount of violence and gore removed by the director was immense.

Scenes include women having their breasts sliced off (a shot of this is in the film but you don't see the actual breast removed) then batted around by the soldiers bayonets, children's limbs severed (they even employed child amputees for these scenes!), a little girls legs being cut off by wagon wheels, an Indian's arms being cut off by a soldier who immediately shoots another Indian in the eye and the death of Spotted Wolf. His head is sliced off and hoisted into the air then tossed to another soldier who throws it offscreen. There's a picture of the calvaryman holding the decapitated head of Spotted Wolf over his corpse in the book.

There's a chapter or two about the film causing a big stir in the UK particularly one instance in which a trailer featuring a number of the films more gruesome moments was accidentally shown during a kiddie show.

The book is right expensive but definitive and meticulously written. However, for such a hefty price tag, there are no color stills. The book is 229 pages.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 07:53:42 AM »

Been sitting on a dvdr of this for a couple of years but finally got round to watching it last night and can agree with Cigar Joe "classic" remark in his initial posting.The violence is very shocking and extreme though justified in this truthful account of this shady period of American history.Candice Bergmen is absolutely terrific throughout so i'm looking to check her out in other movies.

That book also sounds very interesting AC. Who's the author?

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:56:19 AM by Banjo » Logged
Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 11:00:55 AM »

I have yet to see this movie, but experience tells me Candice Bergen is not much of an actress. The only movie I've ever liked her in was The Wind and the Lion, and that was probably more than the character than the performance. Use your own discretion if you decide to look for other works of hers.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 02:10:32 PM »

Been sitting on a dvdr of this for a couple of years but finally got round to watching it last night and can agree with Cigar Joe "classic" remark in his initial posting.The violence is very shocking and extreme though justified in this truthful account of this shady period of American history.Candice Bergmen is absolutely terrific throughout so i'm looking to check her out in other movies.

That book also sounds very interesting AC. Who's the author?

It's here...

http://www.amazon.com/Most-Savage-Film-Cinematic-Violence/dp/0786437103/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228857006&sr=1-1

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 07:58:08 AM »

It's about 40 on UK Amazon.If a paperback edition comes out for around half the price i'll be tempted.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM