Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 01:35:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lawrence of Arabia (1962)  (Read 53113 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 07:32:06 PM »

I'm not thinking so much of particular images, but the way in which scenes are suddenly juxtaposed. For example, LoA has a very famous cut where Lawrence blows out a candle (with an exagerated sound effect)and we immediately see a red sky, the background for the following scene. The link is suggested by the candle flame in the first scene and the fire-like color of the sky that follows. This kind of thing happens again and again in OUATIA, particularly when the time jumps occur. One example is the frisbee scene that links to Noodles coming out of prison. In the first scene we hear the frisbee and anticipate Noodles reaching for it (or something) and then we immediately cut to Max reaching for Noodles's suitcase. A very fancy transition, and the film has many others.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 10:22:44 PM by dave jenkins » Logged

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Beebs
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 08:15:04 PM »

Tim, I got the silver packed two disc set.

I have seen Kwai but that's it.

Groggy, when does he get "raped"?

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 05:55:15 PM »

It isn't shown in the movie, but during the scene where he is captured by the Turks in Deraa.  In Lawrence's book "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom" Lawrence claims the Turkish Bey (played by Jose Ferrer) sodomized him and described it in quite graphic detail.  There is some dispute by historians whether or not this happened (inasmuch as there is zero corroborating evidence either way), but Lean was obviously operating under the assumption that it was.  Obviously they weren't going to show that in a 1962 film, but if you look it is very strongly implied (Ferrer's examination of Lawrence, the close-up on Lawrence's eyes/Ferrer's lips, and Ferrer's coughing, which if you listen to the documentaries you'll see has a hidden meaning).

As for Dave, thanks for your reply.  I had not thought of that, but I certainly don't disagree.

Saturday nights with Groggy
Beebs
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 09:18:50 PM »

Is that the book, I thought it too was called Lawrence of Arabia.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 03:38:49 AM »

The fact is that I don't love english cinema, with the exception of genre movies.
I think you're missing a bet. You should take another  look at Lean's Oliver Twist: some of the most amazing black and white photography ever filmed. And as for Brief Encouter, which is now in revival in UK cinemas, you should read this: http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14931-2028596,00.html

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2006, 08:41:16 AM »

Is that the book, I thought it too was called Lawrence of Arabia.

"Lawrence of Arabia" was the name of Lawrence's official biography (i.e., it was authorized by Lawrence himself).  But the events of the movie itself were based off of "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" (albeit in a highly romanticized manner).

Beebs
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2006, 04:19:08 PM »

Thanks amigo, I'll look it up.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2006, 04:56:04 PM »

Actually, on that note I went to the local mall today and purchased a copy of "With Lawrence In Arabia", by famed journalist Lowell Thomas (the basis for Arthur Kennedy's character in the movie if you don't know), and am about fifty pages into it.

I will say (though this should be obvious) that the film is far from historically accurate.  I read a young adult biography of Lawrence a few months ago and I was struck at how dissimilar the movie and historical fact are.  That doesn't detract anything away from the film, it's merely an observation.

Beebs
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006, 09:12:07 AM »

I actually have that book "With Lawrence in Arabia". It's an old copy of my dad's that I thought was a kid's book knock off. I'll have to read it then. Thanks!

Groggy
Bounty Killer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2006, 08:33:12 PM »

I actually have that book "With Lawrence in Arabia". It's an old copy of my dad's that I thought was a kid's book knock off. I'll have to read it then. Thanks!

No, it's quite a mature book.  Mr. Thomas (I'd assume you're somewhat familiar with him, if only by reputation) is a very talented writer, I'll give him that.

Yeah, you'd be surprised at a lot of the stuff the movie left out.  Don't want to ruin too much for you, but as an example there was an incident where Lawrence's Arabs made a successful cavalry charge against Turkish ships anchored in the Dead Sea.

And on the off-chance you're interested, here's a PBS page on Lawrence and the Arab Revolt: http://www.pbs.org/lawrenceofarabia/index.html Very in-depth without being too intricate or detailed.

Beebs
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 06:53:15 PM »

Thanks, Groggs, I'll have to read it soon then.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2006, 08:34:32 AM »

Today I shelled out 10 euros for a 2-disc edition of LoA. The fact that on the cellophane was a sticker with a Spielberg's laudatory quotation almost stopped me from buying, but I want to see if watching the movie for the first time in english will help, if not liking it, at least understanding why all of you rate it so high. Should that not be the case, I trust somebody among you will help me recycling it.   

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2006, 03:03:07 PM »

Today I shelled out 10 euros for a 2-disc edition of LoA. The fact that on the cellophane was a sticker with a Spielberg's laudatory quotation almost stopped me from buying, but I want to see if watching the movie for the first time in english will help, if not liking it, at least understanding why all of you rate it so high. Should that not be the case, I trust somebody among you will help me recycling it.   

I'll help Grin

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2006, 05:13:33 PM »

Titoli, I hope you bought the Superbit edition. Lawrence offers spectacle, but little more, so you need the best image possible to enjoy it.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2006, 05:14:43 AM »

The spectacle is what I remember most, too, and Anthony Quinn character.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM