Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 09:32:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Papillon (1973)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Papillon (1973)  (Read 8250 times)
Beebs
« on: February 19, 2006, 07:59:02 PM »

While I was making the Lawrence of Arabia post I began to think of my other favorite movies that have left me stunned with questions. Papillon is one of them. I'm just about done with the book. The movie, though, would be more appropriate to talk about on the board.

It's such a moving story. I hate to sound touchy feely but I'll just say what I think. It's about suffering and cruelty. How men sometimes don't think about what they're doing with just words, which turn into actions that are frightening. One prosecutor, 12 jurors, sent a man to hell with words unjustly. I fell like I can't complain about anything with out doing what those men went through wrong.

Discussion follows...

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 06:23:06 PM »

I always thought this movie was one of the finer ones ever made.  McQueen did such a great job in the role.  They say a good actor can show pain.  He certainly does.
And shows us the battering of time on him also.
If I recall right, Dustin Hoffman said he had to sort of mesh a variety of characters from the book in order do his role, which I thought he did well  also.
One of the minor character actors, John Quade, had a small part as the painted Breton.  It was the only time I remember him getting to play a  nice guy.  I wish his role had been longer
Glad to see someone else appreciates this movie.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 06:45:53 PM »

At the time I couldn't understand why the book was such a hit: I found it boring, slow, badly written. I'm interested in Beebs opinion about it.
The movie I liked, both at the theatre and on TV. And that thanx to the actors. But I don't think is much better than other prison movies (a genre I happen to like very much).

Beebs
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 06:56:46 PM »

I absolutely love it, Sackett. And I agree, the Breton seemed to be an interesting role which could have been a little longer.

Titoli, I have to say, I can't see how you find the book boring, I respect any man's opinion whole heartedly but I find Papillon to be the most thrilling, on edge, exciting books I've read. I too love prison movies, Escape movies esp.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 08:26:20 PM »

Well, I read the book at 13. That was a time when I'd get to the end of a book anyway, like it or not: thought I had all the time in the world to read everything. Should I stumble in a french original maybe I'll give it a second try. 

Beebs
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 07:18:58 AM »

That would be interesting to read an original, let me know if you find one. And tell me what you think.

Tim
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 07:20:27 PM »

Papillon is one of my favorite McQueen performances, right up there with The Sand Pebbles.  Those scenes of him in solitary are some of the most moving scenes I've ever watched, especially his nightmares.  And how can I forget Dustin Hoffman?  Louis Dega is the perfect "partner" for McQueen's Papillon.

All in all, a very surreal movie with some great performances from both stars.

Speaking of John Quade, has anyone seen "The Last Hard Men"?  He is one of the slimiest, nastiest bad guys I've seen in a western.

KERMIT
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 10:21:38 AM »

a classic. both book and film. pappy was innocent but convicted once by judges. later, when he escapes, by a nun. he was honest w/ her and she, again, was one of "those" people. 

henri charriere's tenacity and indomitable spirit was a perfect role for mcqueen.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 06:31:02 PM by Kermit » Logged
Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 08:09:14 PM »

I haven't seen that movie, but I'll have to agree that  John Quade  was great at being bad.
I saw him on CBN once being interviewd by Pat Robertson.  He really is a nice guy.  As he tells it, he went to read for a part in a movie, but the script required him to say some words he didn't approve of.  He  left the reading.  As he opened the door he turned and told the casting agent that he "didn't need to say those words to be evil".   The other wanna bees waiting for their chance to read, out in the hall, applauded him as he left.
Sounds alright with me.  Afterall, Bruce Dern made a career of being evil in the 60s and he didn't have to say bad words to do it.

Beebs
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 08:19:07 PM »

Van Cleef didn't need to cuss neither.

I can't get over some images in Papillon. Like you said, solitary was pretty moving. Anyone who likes the movie, should definitely read the book. Fantastic, I finished the last 10 pages this morning.

Johny_Exhale
Bandido

"Now, I believe only in dynamite"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 05:16:17 PM »

i'm really exhausted after watching Papillon, little too much adventure for my liking, still a classic, by all means, puts you into the mind of Papillon totally, so much that i'm physicly tired after watching it lol, great film though, with a lot of questions that maybe are better unanswerd, i love a little mystery in a film

200.000 Dollars is alotta money
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 06:24:37 PM »

I had to bump this thread up. I just watched "Papillon" recently and I gotta say it gets better and better with every passing year. This is one of the more underrated classic's to come out of the 1970's. It's such a beautiful story acted out wonderfully by Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman. It's nice to see that these two legends had the chance to work together. Steve McQueen should have won an Oscar here and it's arguably his best performance ever.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 06:29:53 PM by TucumcariBound » Logged

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »

No doubt you'll be absolutely thrilled to hear about the projected remake: http://www.mcqueenonline.com/papillonremake.htm

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
tucumcari bound
Bounty Killer

Leone at work.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 07:59:43 PM »

No doubt you'll be absolutely thrilled to hear about the projected remake: http://www.mcqueenonline.com/papillonremake.htm

I can't believe they're going through with this. Hollywood cannot just leave these classics alone.  Angry

"Everything revolved around her. The way Sergio looked at women - the way he looked at me..."
Tuco the ugly
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 06:42:57 PM »

I had to bump this thread up. I just watched "Papillon" recently and I gotta say it gets better and better with every passing year. This is one of the more underrated classic's to come out of the 1970's. It's such a beautiful story acted out wonderfully by Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman. It's nice to see that these two legends had the chance to work together. Steve McQueen should have won an Oscar here and it's arguably his best performance ever.

McQueen was amazing in this one. Hard movie to watch, but great nevertheless.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM