Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 03:50:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Once Upon A Time In The West (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  "Keep your loving brother happy"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Keep your loving brother happy"  (Read 4387 times)
Paco Belmondo
« on: February 21, 2006, 10:48:03 AM »

I suppose I'm not the only one who finds it absolutely haunting when the shot moves to show Harmonica bearing his brother on the noose.  The way the structure they hang from is contrasted against the landscape, the timing of the music, and the nature of the actions of Frank at that moment all combine to make one of the most haunting things I've ever seen in a movie.

Cusser
Bounty Killer

Remember, I always see the job through !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 12:55:49 PM »

And the way that Frank and his gang REALLY enjoy the show, like it's entertainment for them.

Beebs
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 06:17:52 PM »

Especially, especailly that smile of Frank's as he looks up, with the music it is extremely haunting.

Sheriff
Chicken Thief

There's a new sheriff in town...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 09:14:50 AM »

This seems to be something Leone likes doing - showing the bad guys laughing and enjoying themselves in other people's suffering:

Fistfull of Dollars - Ramone and the gang laughing in the firelight at the burning of the Baxter's House

Few Dollars More - Indion and gang Lauging when Mrtimer and Manco are getting beaten up

And Once Upon a Time in the West

I think it really makes the audience hate the bad guys all the more as it makes them seem really sadistic so when they do get brutally killed by the good guys in the inevitable gun battle you dont sympathise with them.

Ken

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 11:36:42 AM »

Yea and it doesn't stop with Leone, in "The Big Gundown" the lady rancher played by Nieves Navaro and her hands laugh similarly at Cuchillo when tells them he can wrestle a steer with his bare hands. And in Death Rides a Horse after Ryan falls down the rabbit hole Wolcott's gang has the maniacle laughter sequence.

I think we covered this in a SW staples, scenes that you always see in a SW thread a while ago.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 09:27:59 PM »

Sam Peckinpah uses that whole laughing thing too.  In The Wild Bunch, there are several scenes with the Bunch laughing together, the "washers" scene and the tequila scene are the ones that come to mind.  Of course, those scenes are usually more positive, ie no beatings involved.

Of course, there is that scene where Dutch gives up Angel to Mapache.  Jorge Russek's evil laugh alone sends shivers down my back, much like Indio's when his wanted poster is first shown.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM