Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 02:03:04 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hombre (1966)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hombre (1966)  (Read 18559 times)
Beebs
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 02:18:02 PM »

Another good line of Newman's in there is when his Mexican friend says something after he hits that cowboy in the jaw, and he says, "I don't know why you say that, I was thinkin about it in English."

Another good one is, "What will it be today, Mr. Russell, hombre?"
"Anything but bastard will do"

ANOTHER good one is, "What do they say about it?"
"They say what they want"
His tone is so intimidating.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 07:08:32 PM »

question: is this the best ever  Newman's performance? I believe it is. March and Balsam and Boone I knew them, so I could expect it from them: this quartet of actors is huge. But the former Mrs Connery was a revelation (though I had seen her already in Tom Jones).   

I think its his best Western performance that I know of, but then I've never seen "The Lefthanded Gun", it definitely is one of Boone's best performances, and Diane Celintro was excellent also, though she wasn't in anything outstanding in later years.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Tim
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 10:03:08 PM »

A question: is this the best ever  Newman's performance?

Hombre definitely ranks up there, but I wouldn't call it his best performance. For that, I'll go with Cool Hand Luke, one of my favorite movies.  Newman's Lucas Jackson is one of the greatest characters ever because of Newman.

And it may not be his best performance, but I love him in Road to Perdition as John Rooney.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 04:23:03 AM »

Hombre definitely ranks up there, but I wouldn't call it his best performance. For that, I'll go with Cool Hand Luke, one of my favorite movies.  Newman's Lucas Jackson is one of the greatest characters ever because of Newman.

And it may not be his best performance, but I love him in Road to Perdition as John Rooney.

I was talking Western performance, yea he's great in "Cool Hand Luke", and excellent in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", and "The Hustler", so many of his performances have been top notch.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 07:03:38 AM »

Yes, but though I watched it a couple a times I should rewatch Luke: I'm not sure I would like it as I did the first time. Lefthanded Gun I seem to remember he was pushing too much on the facial expressiveness. And anyway the movie, it wasn't top-notch. Boone was also in The Big Sleep, playing Lash Canino: a smaller, though similar, part than in Hombre, which I don't think he ever surpassed anyway.

Sackett
Gunslinger

One revolution is more than enough for me.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 03:58:43 PM »

Well lets see now
Hud- The smirking wisecracking cowboy
Cool Hand Luke- The smirking wisecracking convict
Hombre- Th smirking wisecracking half breed
Butch Cassidy- The smirking wisecracking outlaw
Sting- The smirking wisecracking con man
Cat on Hot Tin Roof- The smirking wisecracking son

I guess when you've got a style, you stick with it.
Anyone know of other Newman movies off hand where he accurately portrays a 'smirking wisecracking' something.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 04:11:33 PM »

Almost forgot, "Somebody Up There Likes Me" Paul as Rocky Marciano  Cool

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 04:28:26 PM »

Sackett, that's exactly what I mean: in Hombre Newman's style (rather monotonous) blends perfectly with the character, which, in my opinion, doesn't happen (at least not in such a perfect way) in any other of his movies. That smirk works tremendously here. The laconicity of Hombre is in contrast with the loquacity of his other characters.
Also, I think that from Butch Cassidy on he changed his style. For the better I'd say.

Tim
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2006, 07:43:26 AM »

I was talking Western performance

Sorry about that confusion, joe, I was just going off of titoli's comment/question if Hombre is his best performance.  And if we're talking westerns, John Russell is definitely his best western performance.  Butch and Sundance is close behind for me.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2006, 10:17:01 AM »

And speaking of Butch Cassidy & TSK, I can think of three AW's that had the "music video" interludes, BC&TSK with "Rain Drops Keep Falling On My Head", The Life & Times of Judge Roy Bean with "Marmalade, Molasses, and Honey", and The Ballad of Cabel Hogue with "Butterfly Mornings".

These interludes completely take you out of the films and destroy the story narrative, I think it works because these were not dead serious Westerns anyway but more comedies. Someone suggested on the SWWB that they were included for the female views and akin to date movies, which does make sense..

Anybody remember any others?

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2006, 11:24:13 AM »

I can't remember the other 2 because I saw them long time ago, but the "Raindrops" interlude in BC is effective because the song is beautiful (as the rest of the soundtrack). I will see the movie for the first time in english one of these days, but the other 2-3 times I saw it it was rather dull. Except for the song.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2006, 11:27:40 AM »

Bringing the talking back to Hombre, I was wondering what the development would have been if Hombre had said to Cilento: "Ok, you go". I have no doubt that would have been the answer in 99% of SW of the same era and that kind of development (with the final, though implied, fanfare for Hombre) is where the divide between AW and SW lies.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2006, 04:13:50 PM »

Hombre had said to Cilento: "Ok, you go". I have no doubt that would have been the answer in 99% of SW of the same era and that kind of development (with the final, though implied, fanfare for Hombre) is where the divide between AW and SW lies.

you are probably right about the above

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2006, 05:57:32 PM »

But are you personally satisfied with the finale? I think it crashes with Hombre's personality as we have seen it develop from the start. To behave foolishly just for a nice pair of eyes doesn't go down with me. Actually, to show him as a "loser who is a winner" is the usual Hollywoodcrapish resource to equalize everything and demonstrate that being american's beautiful, even under 6 ft. of clay. Wish it could have been made in the New Hollywood era 4-5 years later.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2006, 09:07:33 PM »

Actually I look at it as a struggle between his Native American stoicism and his Caucasian reality. His Native American side couldn't care less of the whites, however there is possibly that overwhleming intrinsic human need to protect the female of the species that does foolishly win out when goaded on by Cilento.

The finale is what it is, I would like to read Elmore Leonard's novel to see if the screen play is the same, the answer may actually lie there.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM