Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2017, 11:47:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Hombre (1966)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hombre (1966)  (Read 18829 times)
Rblondie
Bandido

Lincoln's grandfather

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2003, 06:58:16 PM »

Has Paul Newman ever been cooler when he enlightens David Canary: "Maybe if we all get thirsty we'll go to Delgado's and get some mescal."?

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 10:06:33 PM »

It was definitely a great movie and very different, especially the way Hombre never reacted the way the whites expected, you can just here the twangs that Moricone would have added after Newman's comments, lol.

Also Richard Boone was never more menacing. Its a shame he didn't make more westerns and to bad most of the other ones he did make were with John Wayne.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Rblondie
Bandido

Lincoln's grandfather

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 07:06:29 PM »

Richard Boone starred in Rio Conchos (1964) in which he played a brooding Confederate with Anthony Franciosa, Stuart Whitman, Edmond O'Brien, and Jim Brown-a very solid underrated western. His best film with Wayne was definitely The Shootist (1976).

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2003, 05:31:35 AM »

Richard Boone was very underutilized, a shame.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
KERMIT
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 12:04:51 PM »

r.b. had this sort of PLEASE ? " tell me truth or i WILL kill you."
his partner richard linz providing counterpoint in a time the old west was changing. hec set in his ways, was always caught between a rock and a hard place w/ ubiqutious harry morgan.
also r.g. armstrong.  

boone never seemed to grow old.
"HERE IS THE PART I HATE THE WORST !" classic hec.
boone made hombre what it is......no ?

newman's use of the phrase "everybody's got to die . it's just a matter of when".

if boone had delivered that line it may have gone deeper.
ie. "everybody's got to die. it's just a matter of when.....AND HOW !?!"
kermit

Harmonica
Bandido

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 07:44:43 PM »

I love this flick!!!! Grin  As you can tell by my quote. Cool

You guys notice how fast Newman is drawing that gun in the end.  I mean, that was fast fast fast... and in real time to...

"We all have to die.  It's just a question of when..."  -Hombre
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 08:32:46 PM »

Yes it was fast and, it was in fact another three way shootout although they all had loaded guns, lol. It was an overlooked western at the time.

KERMIT
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2003, 02:29:54 AM »

for all it's violence in GB&U vs. hombre, the big difference of the two movies, ie. 3 way duells, is hombre leaves all  3 dead. finito !   Sad
leone's 3 way leaves us w/ a happy ending.  bad guy eliminated, coins had, blondie rides off as tuco is left  w/ his share,   in the middle of nowhere to spend it.             i don't mean to be smart or anything.   GB&U's cinematography w/standing,  leaves a feel good ending i like.  can you imagine tuco  being shot dead ?
plus the guitarest is @ his twangyest !   Grin
nevertheless hombre packs a powerful punch just w/ numan putting up w/ his situation.  not to mention the big nod he suffers in this 3 way.  it wasn't a duell as it seemed just an eruption of violence.  i'll really go out on a limb and compare hombre's 3 way to rape as  loene's is to making love.  does enyone know how many angles & shots leone had to make in order to reach his 3 way climax ?  and does  leone beat hitch's record  of camers shots w/ the shower scene in psyco . Huh

« Last Edit: May 31, 2003, 03:15:21 AM by KERMIT » Logged
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2003, 04:10:20 AM »

I guess you could say Hombre's ending was anti-climatic while GBU was uber-climatic, just another example of Leone taking the western genre which was big to begin with and making it bigger!

Don't know how many cuts, I think a man like you could count them and get back to us, aaah, aaah, aaaaaaah!

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 10:02:50 AM »

I saw the movie many times, though the last one a while ago. Yes, it's good but I never liked

SPOILERE SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Newman's death. Can't get over that, sorry.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »

Its a sort of SW ending then huh?  Cool

Beebs
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 10:46:31 AM »

Its a sort of SW ending then huh?  Cool

Yes.....

Richard Boone made a good General Houston.

cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 09:12:22 PM »

Yes.....

Richard Boone made a good General Houston.

Yes in the Alamo, underutilized again there too.

Tim
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 08:00:54 AM »

Yes in the Alamo, underutilized again there too.

Originally, Boone wasn't even supposed to be in The Alamo, John Wayne wanted to make a brief cameo as General Sam Houston while he handled the directing and producing duties.  Instead, studio backers insisted Wayne play a bigger part, hence his role as Davy Crockett.

In the two scenes Boone is actually in, he's excellent.  His mini speech toward the end when he reveals the Alamo will fall because reinforcements won't arrive in time is very moving.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 07:01:20 AM »

Saw the movie for the first time with the original audio today, at last (bought the usual 3 euros dvd: a pity the series was discontinued). This film is a masterpiece but still can't get over the end. Newman can't be such a fool twice: once to accept to save the woman and the second time not foreseeing the line of fire might be encumbered. Sure, Ritt is smart to make the end fast, with no tear shedding.

A question: is this the best ever  Newman's performance? I believe it is. March and Balsam and Boone I knew them, so I could expect it from them: this quartet of actors is huge. But the former Mrs Connery was a revelation (though I had seen her already in Tom Jones).     

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM