Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2018, 07:16:30 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Doctor Zhivago (1965)
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4
: Doctor Zhivago (1965)  ( 16141 )
Atlas2112
Bounty Killer

formerly Gay Patrick Stewart

« #30 : August 14, 2008, 10:20:39 PM »

Of course they couldn't shoot in URSS. That's why the movie shouldn't have been made at all, as an epic movie.
I've never seen Doctor Zhivago, so i can't comment on it, but i feel kinda irked by this comment. What about GBU? Obviously not anywhere near the US, but still convincing in it's use of location. It just feels silly when concerning fiction, obviously what you're looking at is not truely "real" so whats the point of complaining about whether or not it's filmed on location. I can understand gripes about being unconvincing when it can be fixed with a little time and effort, but locations seems like crying over spilt milk.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

This post gets Agnew's stamp of approval!

« #31 : August 15, 2008, 05:03:19 AM »

There is nothing to elaborate. Courtenay's character is less than one-dimensional, irrealistic (one wonders why he marries Lara at all).

Strongly disagree. I think Pasha/Strelnikov is by far the most interesting character in the book and movie. The only thing the movie doesn't sell me on is his ultimate fate, which is done in a frankly insulting manner.

Still that historical part is of no use and most of it easily dispensed with by verbal explanations. Actually, the less about that mess that is a revolution, the better, if your aim is making a romantic film.

Yes, but it would be a better movie.

Have you read, or are at least familiar with, the book Titoli? You have to have the historical content or else it's not Doctor Zhivago. That's the point here.

I would actually make the opposite argument - that the film dealt with its historical subject matter in a rather terse and truncated manner, to the point where they marginalize it. The partisan scenes in the novel are amazing (if not necessarily cinematic), and they are dealt with in what's basically a ten minute montage sequence in the movie. Most of the movie's better scenes are the historical bits, particularly considering that Sharif and Christie have very little chemistry. We don't really get a sense of why and how they fall in love. But that's another issue entirely.

I've never seen Doctor Zhivago, so i can't comment on it, but i feel kinda irked by this comment. What about GBU? Obviously not anywhere near the US, but still convincing in it's use of location. It just feels silly when concerning fiction, obviously what you're looking at is not truely "real" so whats the point of complaining about whether or not it's filmed on location. I can understand gripes about being unconvincing when it can be fixed with a little time and effort, but locations seems like crying over spilt milk.

Agree with this one hundred percent. Titoli and Jenkins' whining about this seems a head-scratcher, and frankly nitpicking. One might also ask about, oh, ANY Hollywood depiction of a foreign culture - the various sword-and-sandal epics for a start.

Naturally, the Russians do movies about Russia  better.

So I guess only Americans can make Westerns, huh Jenkins? :D

« : August 15, 2008, 05:07:15 AM Groggy »

Saturday nights with Groggy
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

« #32 : August 15, 2008, 11:08:05 AM »

So I guess only Americans can make Westerns, huh Jenkins? :D
A general truth that knows one exception.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
titoli
Bounty Killer

« #33 : August 15, 2008, 02:36:17 PM »

Yes, I watched the movie dubbed and full-screen.

The fact is simply that the streets of the big cities in Zivago do not look real. Could be anywhere. I don't care whether you shoot it in Africa or in Middle East. I just care about the final result which is unsatisfactory.

Courtenay's character is unbelievable, and in the light of what we saw him do with Lara, one wonders whatever happened to make him such a mechanical character. Maybe in the book it is explained, but in the movie we're left to wonder what it made him like this. I think they wanted to exploit the surprise to see him resurface after we thought him was dead.   

I never read the book and do not intend to. I laid aside my russian since I don't know when and if i had to take it up again (which I doubt I'll be able to find time for) I would sharpen it with some other tens of books which I'd rather read than this.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #34 : August 15, 2008, 03:23:11 PM »

Yes, I watched the movie dubbed and full-screen.

Well there's a good amount of your problem.

I never read the book and do not intend to. I laid aside my russian since I don't know when and if i had to take it up again (which I doubt I'll be able to find time for) I would sharpen it with some other tens of books which I'd rather read than this.

I'm not clear why you'd want to see the movie but never have any intention of reading the book. :( It's not essential that you've read the book, but many of your criticisms would apply to the original text as well.

titoli
Bounty Killer

« #35 : August 16, 2008, 07:41:19 PM »

I'm not clear why you'd want to see the movie but never have any intention of reading the book. :( It's not essential that you've read the book, but many of your criticisms would apply to the original text as well.

I saw the movie because I saw it when not a teen in a cinema, because it was on tv a few weeks ago, because I was curious to see what I remembered about it. I am not likely to read the book because that would mean I should dedicate many hours to better my russian. (I never read, if not in exceptional cases, translations. I'm a snob, you know. :-[). And before arriving to Pasternak, there would be other greater russian writers I'd give my preference to. I don't think I have that much time.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #36 : September 13, 2008, 10:01:11 PM »

Jenkins, Juan and Titoli will hate this, but for those of you not so inclined:

http://nothingiswrittenfilm.blogspot.com/2008/09/seduced-by-grandeur-doctor-zhivago.html

T.H.
Bounty Killer

« #37 : September 14, 2008, 06:05:08 AM »

DZ is a bloated, 3.5 hour pretentious mess with no character development and a romance (which is the heart of the story) that isn't exactly believable but I somehow really enjoy it despite the flaws. It's just so pretty to look at, consider me infatuated.

Claudia, we need you to appear in LOST COMMAND. It's gonna revolutionize the war genre..
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #38 : September 14, 2008, 08:09:02 AM »

Grogs, just because I don't like a film it doesn't follow that I don't like reading about it. I like reading any well-written piece and your Zhivago review is certainly that. You make probably the best case one can make for the film, and draw my attention to its many good points. Your summary of the plot is wonderfully concise: my hat, if I had one, would be off to you. Perhaps there are a few too many repetitions in the review (it isn't necessary to list the actors and their roles twice, for example), but with a bit of editing (you should be able to cut 10% of the words) you'd have a piece ready for publication. Well done.

That's what you get, Drink, for not appreciating the genius of When You Read This Letter.
Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #39 : September 14, 2008, 08:29:32 AM »

Well, I appreciate your comments, the only point I would make about listing the actors is that I was highlighting their performances the second time, but I suppose that's a fair criticism. I admit, trying to write a concise plot summary for this movie was torturous, and that's about as brief as I could get it without leaving out a whole lot.

« : September 14, 2008, 08:31:42 AM Groggy »

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #40 : November 10, 2008, 03:02:47 PM »

Lasermagnetic, the IMDB gentleman who brought us the From Script to Screen thread on Lawrence of Arabia, is now undertaking a similar project for Zhivago. Check it out:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0059113/board/nest/121105187

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #41 : March 20, 2010, 04:06:07 PM »

Came across the shooting script today.
http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/drzhivago.pdf

This looks pretty damned legit to me.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

« #42 : April 19, 2010, 03:18:57 PM »

Beaver reviews the Blu-ray: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews51/doctor_zhivago_blu-ray.htm

Arrrrggghhhh! I hate dropping 30 bucks for a film I dislike, but I suppose I'll have to get it for the sake of the Kinski scene.

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #43 : April 19, 2010, 06:05:53 PM »

I'm happy enough with my 35th Anniversary DVD. Looks like most of the special features are the same.

Thanks for the heads-up though. O0

« : April 19, 2010, 06:09:26 PM Groggy »

Groggy
Bounty Killer

« #44 : April 23, 2010, 09:43:29 AM »

DVD Savant's take:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s3192zhiv.html

I agree with most of what he says.

« : April 23, 2010, 09:48:47 AM Groggy »

: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines