Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 06:25:07 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Django Strikes Again
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Django Strikes Again  (Read 3504 times)
boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2006, 10:10:25 PM »

Finally got a hold of the Anchor Bay Widescreen VHS & watched it .
Some thoughts-->......it's worth seeing...if only to see Django digging up his long buried machine gun in a cemetery...and to see William Berger's cameo as an old gunfighter in the recovered 5 & 1/2 minute prologue...which exists only in Italian w/ English subs. 

Director Nello Rossati got the old SW spirit right ..it's there...from the loony Hungarian self proclaimed leader of ex-mercenaries for the Emperor Maximilian...working a silver mine with captured peasants as slave labor...to some inventive ways of killing...it's wacky enough.

Gianfranco Plenizio's (he scored 1 & conducted 1 other SW back in the old days) score is not that bad..a harken back to the old stuff.
On the whole it was a good try...didn't totally succeed..it feels a bit rushed...won't go to the top of many "quality movie" lists...
...but there's a fun factor here.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 12:04:50 PM by boardwalk_angel » Logged

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 06:28:48 AM »

I picked this up on video for 50 pence off Ebay a couple of years and Franco Nero is great as always but i also like Donald Pleasances performance as the imprisoned intellectual who helps Django as well as the excellent (German?) villain.Good storyline too!!
I'm gonna have to get the Anchor Bay version because i'm missing the scene with Berger on my vhs.

boardwalk_angel
Bounty Killer

Do you think I'm just..anyone? DO you?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 07:16:01 AM »

There's a short interview w/ Franco Nero included...he says he asked Berger, a good friend, personally, to do the bit. ..which is quite enjoyable & well written..& come to think of it...might have made a good movie on its own if the idea had been used & expanded.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 12:05:21 PM by boardwalk_angel » Logged

"'Don't take any chances you don't have to, don't trust anybody you don't have to trust and don't do no favors you don't have to do"- Ace Hanna
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 09:01:24 PM »

The prologue is very moving. Best thing in the affair. The movie might have come off better but then I'm not a Nero fan: still I think it earns a 7\10. A bit too long, But two or three good one liners (like the one of the coffin: "I don't bring them, I make them") and scenes (the confessional). The score is very good, though it has no memorable tune.

stanton
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 02:04:13 AM »

Average and forgetable

3/10 (on a good day)

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 06:27:36 AM »

In the end i bought the Anchor Bay Django double feature dvd just to get the prologue which is quite amusing.William Berger is unrecognisable.Entertaining stuff and good to see Nero reprise his most memorable role.Haven't watched it in a while but i think i'd happily give this one 7 out of 10. Afro

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM