Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 11:04:57 AM
:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  GBU SEEMS TO BE THE BEST!
0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
: [1]
: GBU SEEMS TO BE THE BEST!  ( 7166 )
roberti
Bandido

Jamais personne ne t'aimera comme je t'aime

« : February 27, 2006, 09:19:02 AM »

313 topics, 3127 posts, for 5 of us (out of 12) it is the number 1,( for 3 of us number 2) in topic what are your favourite leone movies
http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/forums/index.php?topic=2879.0.
According to your knowledge of this movie and despite may be it is not necessry your favorite, why do you think GBU is the most popular movie on this website?
(and probably the favorite SL MOVIE of occident!)

Ton nombril est une belle coupe arrondie ou jamais le vin ne manque, ton ventre est une vallee de ble entouree de lys, tes seins sont des grappes de raisin mur, ta bouche a la douceur de la pomme.
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #1 : February 27, 2006, 07:42:09 PM »

I like it (GBU) because its not only an adventure but also a con game, a comedy, and a treasure hunt with three very realistic, distinct, picaresque, and engrossing characters complimented by beautiful cinematography and wonderful music.

That comedy aspect of this film is what tips the balance for me towards it over OUTITW, Tuco will be eternally hilarious as the epitome of human nature, there is a bit of Tuco in all of us just look in the mirror.  8)

GBU then is more a more personal film to me ,OUTITW is a beautiful epic of a film about Western films with a high concept story commenting on the death of the West.

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Sheriff
Chicken Thief

There's a new sheriff in town...

« #2 : February 28, 2006, 10:54:48 AM »

GBU is my favourite film, but I think OUATITW is a better film (from a critical perspective - then again who is to say popular opinion doesn't make a film great)

Ken

Poggle
Bounty Killer

« #3 : February 28, 2006, 05:25:04 PM »

I think the reason that GBU is liked the most is because it has everything that's in Sergio's other films, minus flashbacks. Battle scenes, shootouts, trains, explosions, historical/political commentary, comedy, etc.

One thing I like the most about it is that it never returns to a location like on FAFDM or OUATITW. It's always a constant moving story and there's never too much time spent in the same place, which is ironic for Sergio. How could anyone get burnt out on three of hours of epicness? It's even more epic than OUATIA. Man, I wish that Socorro scene was still in there :(

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #4 : February 28, 2006, 10:44:36 PM »

Poogle, you've put your finger on a couple of key elements. One of the best things about the film is the constant journey. We're talking epic quest here, the kind of thing we don't often get but which goes back to Homer's Odyssey. And even though the plot has a firm structure, leading to a very satisfying conclusion, there is always room in the film for more episodes. Put the cut scenes back in, as they did in the 2003 reconstruction, and they fit without problem. If the Socorro scene could be restored, that would work too. Any number of additional scenes could be included in the film and the movie would just keep getting better and better.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
KERMIT

« #5 : March 03, 2006, 07:25:53 AM »

virtually every scene steals my attention. every camera angle, ect.  to me, c. j. says it best  ;D

Half Soldier's Legs
Road Apple

« #6 : March 03, 2006, 09:31:42 AM »

GBU is the best, IMO, simply bcause everything Leone did best is present and worked well.

FO$ and FAF$M seem to be films where he's still figuring things out.  Some things work, some things seem a bit rough.  Great films, but not quite "there" yet.

After GBU Leone began to stumble.  Sure, OUATITW was a gogeous film, but honestly, the story and its execution could have been better.  FOD is a bit of a ramshackle affair and it seems like Leone's heart wasn't in it and he was going through the motions.

This leaves OUATIA.  Like OUATITW, a beautiful film and yards beyond the majority of other films, but then again it's always struck me as if Leone was trying just a little too hard with this one.  GBU seems effortless, and that's the difference.

On a personal level, GBU is a film I've enjoyed since childhood which, unlike other films from my past, has only gotten better with time.  I watch it several times a year.  It portrays a world which seems comfortable to me (as disturbing as that may be!), and a place I need to return to and visit time and time again.  There are few films which evoke this need and this makes GBU that much more special.

« : March 03, 2006, 09:39:36 AM Joe Manco »
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

The joy of loving is to live in a world of Mandom

« #7 : March 03, 2006, 11:44:06 PM »

But are we talking about GBU (1967) or GBU (2003)? Different times, different films.

"McFilms are commodities and, as such, must be QA'd according to industry standards."
cigar joe
Bounty Killer

easy come easy go

« #8 : March 04, 2006, 07:33:04 AM »

Me, I'm taking about both versions, I'd liked the 1967 version for over 30 years, so the 2003 & extra scenes was just bonus.  ;)

"When you feel that rope tighten on your neck you can feel the devil bite your ass"!
Two Kinds of ...
Gunslinger

Idiots - it's for you.

« #9 : March 04, 2006, 05:36:07 PM »

It's my favorite movie, though I think it's only the first of three masterpieces he would make.  Once Upon a Time in the West and Once Upon a Time in America are also phenomenal.

Starting with For a Few Dollars more, SL's work became fantastically more complex and the last appearance of "The Man With No Name" is the best...

More feeling.
: [1]  
« previous next »
:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM

SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines