Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 06:38:23 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Other/Miscellaneous
| |-+  Off-Topic Discussion (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  Massacre in Rome
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Massacre in Rome  (Read 1946 times)
dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2006, 11:48:25 PM »

Hey, titoli, is this DVD worth getting?

http://www.noshamefilms.com/catalogue/dvd_01.asp?pdno=28

Also, what do you know about Valerio Zurlini?

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 05:08:48 AM »

Only if you have no better prospects for investments for your cash. The english title is beautiful, but the movie (which I don't think I have seen but only peeped through on TV whenever it was aired) is one of those  big  international productions which were arranged in the '60's and '70's and which only rarely went beyond the limits of the already known.

Valerio Zurlini was a good director who made some good movie, though I think no masterpiece. He wasn't in my line as  he went for sentimental stories. But I don't think you would see an ugly movie by his. Il deserto dei tartari is the only one I have seen and I found it slow-moving. But many people liked it. In the '60's and the '70's we had a lot of good directors (apart from the great ones) who made distinctive movies and that, by today, lowered standards, would be judged masters. They weren't then because the real masters were active.

dave jenkins
Bounty Killer

"One banana, two banana, three banana, four...."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 09:15:40 PM »

Valerio Zurlini was a good director who made some good movie, though I think no masterpiece. He wasn't in my line as  he went for sentimental stories. But I don't think you would see an ugly movie by his. Il deserto dei tartari is the only one I have seen and I found it slow-moving. But many people liked it. In the '60's and the '70's we had a lot of good directors (apart from the great ones) who made distinctive movies and that, by today, lowered standards, would be judged masters. They weren't then because the real masters were active.

The reason I ask is that NoShame, the DVD company that is bringing out many (for R1 viewers) obscure Italian releases from the 50s.60s and 70s is suddenly releasing several Zurlinis.  Il deserto dei Tartari is out already, and they are about to release a twin pack of Summer Violence and Girl With a Suitcase. The latter sounds interesting from a Leoneaste's viewpoint, as these words from Glenn Erickson show:

Girl With a Briefcase is a serious film about good people in an impossible situation. Young Lorenzo is smitten by Aida, but is just too young ...

The show is a visual treat as we watch Claudia Cardinale bloom on-screen. She's certainly one of the most arresting actresses of the 60s, and there are moments here where she just takes over the picture with a smile or a look. The atmosphere of train stations, hotels and other ordinary life at Lorenzo's beach town is effortlessly conveyed. It's a small but superior picture.

Director Zurlini handles the surprises well. There are plenty of opportunities for exploitative or trashy scenes, and the film chooses to build a relationship instead. Gian Maria Volonté has a good cameo as a would-be one-night stand that Lorenzo stands up against, even though he's twice as big as the kid. A surprisingly good scene involves Aida and Lorenzo's tutor, a priest played by Romolo Valli (Duck, You Sucker).

Wow! A Claudia Cardinale picture, with a supporting part for Romolo Valli and a cameo from Gian Maria Volonte. I want to see this.

That's what you get, Drink, for being such an annoying Melville fanboy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM