Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2017, 10:42:55 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  Other Films (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  The Silent Stranger aka Lo straniero di silenzio (1968)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Silent Stranger aka Lo straniero di silenzio (1968)  (Read 13232 times)
Sanjuro
Bounty Killer

It'll hurt if you are cut.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 08:46:07 PM »

Thank you for the review, angel. I'm surprised T. Anthony was ahead of "Red Sun". It would be funny if Toshiro Mifune was in this. I wonder why they didn't use a big name Japanese star. Not even Tatsuya Nakadai or Tetsuro Tanba.

This fiim never came to Japan. Even Japanese actors in this film couldn't get to see it.  Maybe because of the dispute you described.

It sure sounds like a fun film to see.

<br />\"Be bold like an angel, meticulous like a devil.\" (Akira Kurosawa)
The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

Rub me the wrong way, and I'll go off in your face

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2006, 09:16:42 PM »

Hmmm...I think it could be...it's definitely better than the first....

I think the trailer alone is better then the first Stranger film Grin

The Official COMIN' AT YA! re-release site
http://cominatyanoir3d.com/
Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 02:13:32 AM »

I saw this yesterday Firecracker and i'm sure you'll like it although its very,very silly.I'm not sure it works at all well as a sw(though i noticed the FOD similarity too) for me as its very much Pagoda land(and similar to the first Stranger movie theres alot of time dedicated to our hero creeping around the place and not alot happening) here and really nothing much in the way of gunplay.The Japanese characters aren't particularly likeable but Tony Anthony is definately on form and keeps the film going with his humour.As regards Stelvio Cipriani's score its more of the same really that he provided for the first two in the series and maybe he could've added a bit more oriental flavour to it.
    In the context of the Stranger series i'd say that the Silent Stranger(60% rating) is a weaker film to Stranger In Town(65%)  and The Stranger Returns(80%) is by far the best movie.My favourite East meets West sw remains Stranger and The Gunfighter which i also consider LVC's most entertaining 1970's western Wink

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 09:51:48 AM »

I saw this yesterday Firecracker and i'm sure you'll like it although its very,very silly.I'm not sure it works at all well as a sw(though i noticed the FOD similarity too) for me as its very much Pagoda land(and similar to the first Stranger movie theres alot of time dedicated to our hero creeping around the place and not alot happening) here and really nothing much in the way of gunplay.The Japanese characters aren't particularly likeable but Tony Anthony is definately on form and keeps the film going with his humour.As regards Stelvio Cipriani's score its more of the same really that he provided for the first two in the series and maybe he could've added a bit more oriental flavour to it.

A shame to hear. The trailer looks excellent.
Although I'm rather skeptical about it being worse then "Stranger in Town" Wink.

As BA has already stated the film ran into some censorship problems so I think the deleted footage might hav ehelped out in the long run.

Even Anthony himself has stated that this could have been his best film but it was watered down to nothing after the cuts. Sad

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2006, 02:00:15 AM »

Although I'm rather skeptical about it being worse then "Stranger in Town" Wink.
Well i just checked out Howard Hughes opinion and whatever version he's seen he regards Silent Stranger as the worst in the series.
I'm skeptical that an uncut version(assuming mine is cut) would make much difference because as it is the film is a bit of a mess,i couldn't warm to any of the Japanese characters and alot of the time with these 2 identical groups of warring Japs its confusing trying to identify who's fighting who and who the bad guys really are.The only thing keeping me watching was Tony Anthony and his quips,but the amount of times he gets collared and not killed is ludicrous.
A full version may turn out(i doubt it) to be Antonys best movie but as a western it SUCKS.

titoli
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 07:20:10 PM »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0203953/

This is not a western, but I liked it probably better than any other Anthony movie (I still have to see Get Mean, though). It fares brilliantly until the very last minutes, with much variety and inventiveness in the sequel of episodes. Banjo complained about the many times Anthony just wanders from a building to another, but I think that is where the best moments of the movie happen, expecially in the long sequence toward the end where Anthony disposes of many adversaries in different ways in defferent builings.

The italian title at IMDB is most probably bogus. In english it would be translated as The Stranger of Silence which, as in italian, makes no sense, I presume. A better traduction would be LO straniero silenzioso. Anyway, I doubt this was ever lreleased here and, it it was, with the IMDB title. 

So I agrree with the former Angel of the board. I give it 8\10.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 10:13:58 PM »

It fares brilliantly until the very last minutes

What exactly put you off?
Anthony's all too easy dispatch of the big gang boss?

I found this movie to be wonderful. Saw it twice in one day.
Will be revisiting often.
The best in the Stranger series and Anthony's best film overall.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 10:19:36 PM »

I made a video review...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjAZHewr4B8

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 12:59:53 PM »

Excellent commentary FC but until i see it again in maybe a better print i'm dubious about the "better than BLINDMAN" claim,though saying that i used to dislike that movie until i saw it uncut. Grin

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »

Excellent commentary FC

I'm not too happy with it seeing as I can just as easily make the print look better by editing myself (also editing my various coughs and "uhhhh"s). But without an editing system of my own I'm stuck using the "put the camera in front of the screen" technique.
I also have limited time when doing these things because the camera I use is a digital picture camera that just happens to record sound and visual. The camera gives me a little over 6 minutes to shoot whatever it is that I want.
As a result my commentary is rather limited. I couldn't even fit in stuff about the soundtrack.
I could go to my school and use their equipment to edit but for something so minor I would rather not.
Besides, I need to hassle them pretty soon for something that will take up a lot of time.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 04:00:25 PM »

Mr. Anthony told me that the eyecatcher dvd is in fact CUT.
The so-called "uncut" dvd runs 86 minutes long.
Mr. Anthony told me it should run 100 minutes.

He also confirmed my suspicion about the narration.
He hated it.
The uncut version is not available as of yet but Mr. Anthony and Allen Klein's son are in the works of fixing that problem soon.

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 06:44:53 PM »

It might be interesting to see a better, more coherent version of this movie but here's my comments as well as comments from Banjo from a month ago on another board regarding this movie and also lends weight to the claim that the film itself is heavily truncated...

AC: Just finished watching this. Thought this was one of the worst, most brutally awful westerns I've ever seen. The movie seemed rushed with scenes beginning and ending abruptly at a near constant rate. That may account for all the narration from Anthony. It started off fine but rapidly went downhill from there. The Japanese run around yelling "Kill!" for much of the running time and the "sword fights" do the film no favors and are laughable compared with Samurai films made 10 years prior. I liked Anthony's first two 'Stranger' movies much better. The dispute that resulted in the films belated release may have been because of how terrible this flick really is. The music is pretty bad too save for the main theme, which itself is derivative. Heard lots better from Cipriani. The film bears a copyright notice of 1974 and should have stayed shelved for that matter, IMO.

Banjo: So you don't think an decent uncut widescreen version would alter your opinion?

AC: No. Besides, nothing looked cut off on the sides. The credits fit on screen. This says the uncut version on the back although you couldn't tell from how so many scenes tended to jump around all over the place without rhyme or reason. It ran around 86 minutes. I haven't yet looked at the DVD-R from cable all the way through yet but I don't know if I want to put myself through the torture of sitting through this movie again.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2009, 02:32:27 PM »

This says the uncut version on the back

The company lied. Nobody has the uncut version. The original negative is still in ABCO's vaults.

although you couldn't tell from how so many scenes tended to jump around all over the place without rhyme or reason.

That's because the original cut is 100 minutes. More than 10 minutes had been cut out for its release in the 70's.

The opening of the movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_GxX-I-CZ4

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 02:33:32 PM by The Firecracker » Logged

Arizona Colt
Bounty Killer

"Clear the ground of their traitorous feet!"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 03:41:15 PM »

The company lied. Nobody has the uncut version. The original negative is still in ABCO's vaults.

That's because the original cut is 100 minutes. More than 10 minutes had been cut out for its release in the 70's.

The opening of the movie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_GxX-I-CZ4

This is the same opening as the DVD.

Until a longer cut emerges, or somebody claims to have seen it, then the Eyecatcher dvd, regardless of its legitimacy, is the only "complete and uncut" version around. Either way, it's a lousy movie and I don't see how any additions would improve it especially with the Japanese scenes being an utter embarrassment, IMO. Definitely one of the very few times I felt I totally wasted $22.00. Usually I will find something of substance in the worst barrel scraper, but this movie was a chore to sit through. The music was nice, if derivative, but that's where the praises ends for me on this one.

And I doubt seriously that this film is on the slate for a dvd release in America any time soon. If MGM puts far more well known cult movies on the backburner, I don't see this obscure eyesore getting pushed to the forefront. Possibly the DVD-R route Warners is going right now. BLINDMAN is Anthony's best movie, IMO with RETURN OF THE STRANGER close behind it and I only really enjoyed that one because one of my fave action performers, Dan Vadis, was in it.

The Firecracker
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2009, 03:46:07 PM »

This is the same opening as the DVD.

Yes, of course.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: