Sergio Leone Web Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2017, 04:45:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News:

+  Sergio Leone Web Board
|-+  Films of Sergio Leone
| |-+  The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (Moderators: cigar joe, moviesceleton, Dust Devil)
| | |-+  GBU theme first heard in Mag7!!!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GBU theme first heard in Mag7!!!  (Read 4851 times)
archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2006, 08:42:59 AM »

Hi guys. Please bare with me on this one. Although EM claims the motif in the GBU theme comes from a coyote howl, i would suggest it's a small knock-off from Mag7. In one scene Charles Bronson plays a little toy flute. On the flute the GBU motif is played( it is a musical interval called a perfect fourth). Leone was a fan of this western. Check it out for yourselves.
Also James Coburn, in the cantina scene, only uses one hand just as Monco.

Beebs
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 11:14:07 AM »

I would have to say that it's just a sort of easy pattern to get out of a handmade flute and it just sounds like GBU. As for Coburn, I can't recall that one handed fight. Though I'm sure there was some influence from Mag Seven, but that's how it is with all directors. They admire something and use it.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 03:45:33 AM »

yes the notes are basic. A-D-A-D-A in GBU theme. same in Mag7.
re: Coburn. not a fight, just the cantina sequence where  Chris is interviewing gunmen for the job.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

Don't you like music with your supper?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 06:10:19 AM »

i would suggest it's a small knock-off from Mag7. In one scene Charles Bronson plays a little toy flute. On the flute the GBU motif is played( it is a musical interval called a perfect fourth).
Surely its just a segment of a set of unintentional notes played at random by Bronson who based on that performance doesn't have much musical ability and I don't think they'll be suing Morricone for plagiarism in this case!!!

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 06:52:20 AM »

granted, they are natural notes - notes that are probably the first ones people play on a wind instrument.
plagarism is about context. there is no plagarism here, only influence.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 09:25:27 AM »

Influence-you are joking of course?I don't buy the idea of any composer copying someone aimlessly doodling around on a whistle-John Cage maybe but not Morricone.We are only talking about a sequence of 5 notes(and using only A and D)  in between a few others and its just pure coincidence that this resembles the main GBU riff.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 06:08:24 PM »

Influence-you are joking of course?I don't buy the idea of any composer copying someone aimlessly doodling around on a whistle-John Cage maybe but not Morricone.We are only talking about a sequence of 5 notes(and using only A and D)  in between a few others and its just pure coincidence that this resembles the main GBU riff.
banjo my amigo, you're are talking to a professional composer/audio engineer.
i won't give any further details(privacy issue) but let's just say i've been at it for forty years and i cut my professional teeth on ennio m, bernard n, miklos r, jerry g, and john w.
in fact, it was the EM music that got me into serious composition in the first place. i owe a lot of my success to the inspiration EM gave me thru the dollar westerns.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 02:40:49 AM »

OK with your musical background i respect what you are saying but without any proof or quotes from Morricone this can only be pure speculation.He could have equally have borrowed this repetative sequence of notes from a police/ambulance/firebrigade siren which comprise two notes with the same intervals between them.

Banjo
Bounty Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 02:51:09 AM »

Archangel,I was listening to the GBU soundtrack where in places this 5 note riff is played on a flute so i'm coming around to your way of thinking(sorry!).The call and response aspect of the GBU is used in other genres like Blues and traditional Breton music!

Beebs
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 07:34:15 PM »

I dont know. I still think it's a coincidence. Bronson makes a handmade flute and twidles with it. Ennio Morricone could have heard it anywhere. His kid could have done the same thing, or he himself.

By the way, Arch, what do you think about the John Williams Star Wars scores being named one of the greatest compositions of all time? Especially the Imperial March.

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 07:47:32 PM »

what do you think about the John Williams Star Wars scores being named one of the greatest compositions of all time? Especially the Imperial March.
As Williams uses exact quotes from Holst's "Mars" from the Planets Suite and Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring"  that opinion must be bollocks.

Beebs
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 09:06:01 PM »

Just watched Mag Seven and the notes are more twiddled if you will. not just two notes.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 11:07:49 AM »

SL got into trouble over fistful. who's to say this didn't occur as well "Hey, Ennio, you gotta see this movie where bronsen plays the flute..... maybe we could use that sometime....?
i work in the music industry and this sort of thing goes on day in day out.

archangel
Gunslinger

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2006, 11:18:16 AM »

As Williams uses exact quotes from Holst's "Mars" from the Planets Suite and Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring"  that opinion must be bollocks.
lucas wanted a 19th century romantic classical feel for star wars. mahler springs to mind. huge ensemble - 100 players or more. the main themes in SW are quite "poppy" if you take away the orchestration. very little is influenced by ol' Igor S.
Mr Stravinsky is a personal favourite of mine. nothing in SW is anything like "Le Sacre". except for the large orchestra. SW is based on the major-minor system, like most other romantic composers. Le Sacre" uses archaic modes and polytonality to achieve its sound. (more in line with C. Debussy).

Juan Miranda
Bounty Killer

Badges?!?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 01:06:08 PM »

As I can't read or write music Archangel, I can't easily give examples of what I mean. Not in terms of orchestration perhaps, but a major and persistant "character theme" in SW is a direct quote from a series of notes in the Stravinsky ballet. I notice you didn't try and refute the Holst reference. Woops, sorry if I'm wobbling off topic.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 01:10:21 PM by Juan Miranda » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Visit FISTFUL-OF-LEONE.COM